Old 12-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
raymour
Human being with feelings

Default Editing Behavior in ver 4.76

My highlighter / editor is frozen. In other words if I want to edit a region and say repeat it over and over, the whitish highlighter function I use to to identify the region is stuck in one place and will not do anything. I tried closing and rebooting and nothing helps. I just installed 4.76 2 days ago. Usually my mouse will grab either end of the highlighter to expand or contract it but the mouse doesn't acknowledge the functionality.
raymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
raymour

So i have a song I'm working on that is part of a 9 song package. The editing feature is frozen on this song as mentioned above. Is there anybody here that can help me?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
ivansc

revert to the version that worked.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
raymour

Any other ideas?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Fergler

Do the same search as I did and check all of these:

Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
raymour

Yeah that's what I'm talking about Fergler. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much for your help. Yeah "revert to the version that worked" utterly worthless advice. So once again Fergler thanks!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymour View Post
Yeah that's what I'm talking about Fergler. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much for your help. Yeah "revert to the version that worked" utterly worthless advice. So once again Fergler thanks!
Well thanks for being so nice about it!

Not that you care apparently, but that is exactly what I and many others on here have done when faced with an updating issue and a deadline.
Quick and dirty but it works.
You might do well to wind your neck in, sonny.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
raymour

Sonny? Compare and contrast the two responses, one is to the point and fixes the problem, the other (you) is juvenile and borders on condescending. Besides old man, in the 4+ years I've been using reaper you have never once helped me plus I have been amazed at the amount of online forums you troll in. You have over 7000 posts here and god only knows how many in Gearslutz and all the others. Yeah I've seen your bickering on many other forums and always try and stay clear of you and your backhanded advice. Yup you are true to form and utterly worthless
Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
planetnine

heyup Raymour, steady on! That's not any old curmudgeon you're dealing with there!

>
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
Fex

Quote:
Sonny? Compare and contrast the two responses, one is to the point and fixes the problem, the other (you) is juvenile and borders on condescending. Besides old man, in the 4+ years I've been using reaper you have never once helped me plus I have been amazed at the amount of online forums you troll in. You have over 7000 posts here and god only knows how many in Gearslutz and all the others. Yeah I've seen your bickering on many other forums and always try and stay clear of you and your backhanded advice. Yup you are true to form and utterly worthless
Note to self - never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, try to help raymour.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
raymour

Note to self? Really Fex, are you 12 years old? Look at my posts, I avoid coming here just so I don't have to deal with jerk off's like you.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Fex

Quote:
I avoid coming here just so I don't have to deal with jerk off's like you.
Good. Please, please keep doing that.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:14 AM   #13
ivansc

Oh dear. He is apparently one of them.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #14
Pasajeromoronmoreno

What a bad vibe man, ivansc was only trying to help. Why all the hate and the insults? I tell you, it's not the way, you gonna end up alone like that.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasajeromoronmoreno View Post
What a bad vibe man, ivansc was only trying to help.
Yes... he does that. A lot. Often quite successfully.
Whoever would have thought that this could be a problem for anyone?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
revert to the version that worked.
Good advice.

(Unless you don't like brevity. And as brevity is the soul of wit, then that would probably make you witless.)

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Fergler

It was utterly worthless advice, did not help at all, he was just calling you out on it. Occasionally, when you get something wrong, you have to just accept this. And not create the usual gang-style predictability seen here in this thread. Cue the response to mine by a plaintiff of some side, then the lack of response from pertinent accused individuals and then the thread dissolving into the ether.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
It was utterly worthless advice, did not help at all, he was just calling you out on it.
I don't think it was utterly worthless advice, and if he was just calling Ivan on it (you don't think the manner in which he did so was a little ungracious?), then he soon enough resorted to calling him "juvenile" for no readily apparent reason, whining that he had never helped him, accusing him of trolling, and attacking him for his post count! That was truly pathetic, and utterly juvenile. And I'm apparently a twelve year old "jerk off" for calling him on it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
the thread dissolving into the ether
.... would probably be a very good thing.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
DBMusic

Quote:
While ivansc's post was not useful to you, there's no need for this. Way out of line.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
bibz1st

Reverting to a known working version is good advice, there are always times when the "latest" versions needs a few revisions for niggles to be ironed out
bibz1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
witti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
(Unless you don't like brevity. And as brevity is the soul of wit, then that would probably make you witless.)
Huh ?

My advice would have been to just push the main toolbar lock button, if i understood everything right....
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #22
planetnine

It wasn't the best advice, simply because Fergler was more on the ball with the recent locking function consistency mods, but it wasn't bad advice. It might be viewed as possibly a little flippant, but we're all guilty of that sometimes.

There is no justification in being rude to someone just because they weren't as current with their advice as others, or you didn't think it useful. It happens, it's just part of the community method of soliciting help.

I don't think the general consensus of opinion to Raymour's response was unreasonable -that kind of thing does leave a bad taste, not to mention show the poster as socially out-of-line (would you really be rude like that to someone face-to-face if you were to approach a group of volunteer enthusiasts at a conference for help with an issue?) To twist that into "gang style predictability" is undermining the goodwill ethos of these forums.

I know the informal written word can be misinterpreted, but posters shouldn't respond in a way that they wouldn't do in a face-to-face situation. I also think it is wrong to denounce any defence of maintaining a courteous forum -the REAPER forums are generally a polite place to communicate and we should strive to keep it that way.

>
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #23
ivansc

Please stop now, everyone.