Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
iwontdieinpa
Human being with feelings

Default SimulAnalog Guitar suite - Free and Awesome!!!

I must admit there is not much of a point to this thread aside from proclaiming my honest opinion about the SimulAnalog Guitar suite. Though the suite comes with simulations of the Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Tube Screamer, Oberheim PS-1, Univox Univibe, Fender Twin 1969 and the Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb, I have only ever used the JCM900 simulation. I absolutely love it! It's certainly not the prettiest VST I have ever seen, but it doesn't overload my CPU either. For years I've only over recorded my heavier guitar tracks through my JCM900 half-stack with a 57 on the cab. I moved to a smaller place and find I don't have that luxury as often as I used to. I find this to be a more than suitable alternative. Our bass player actually couldnt even tell the difference when I made the transition to this simulator over when I used to mic up my amp. \

My signal chain is as follows: '72 Tele Deluxe -> M-Audio USB FastTrack -> Reaper

Here's a link to check it out: http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Anybody else use this/have any opinions on it?
iwontdieinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
deesko

on a side note, maybe you could give a spin to audiffex's amplion free as well?

http://www.audiffex.com/EN/amplion/4...lion-free.html

what's your feedback with that one?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
bolenti

I never played on the real thing but I really like the sound of this JCM900 simulator. However, I'm not a big fan of their other simulators for Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1 and Tube Screamer.

If I need more gain I tend to use the free plugin Face Bender https://sites.google.com/site/distor...sts/facebender I really like the Fuzz Face sim or I use the free Tube Screamer simulator TSE 808 http://obiaudio.com/2011/03/16/tse-8...escreamer-vst/

Let me know what you think of these if you get to try them.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
Aeolian

I have used the Guitar Suite stuff since forever .... the JCM900 emu does have slightly "two-dimensional" sound, but it slips into a mix, and cuts through, very well and can get some seriously heavy tones (with the supplied TubeScreamer emu) in the right hands.

One of my favourite setup/channelstrips for GuitarSuite ...

Tubescreamer:-
Gain = 2-4
Tone = 4
Level = 7.5

...into...

JCM900:-
Channel = B
Drive (B) = 9
Low = 7
Mid = 10
Hi = 7
Presence = 7
Vol = 7
Reverb (B) = 3
Aeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Smurf

I've had the SimulAnalog Guitar stuff for years. I used it mainly for distortion-crunch tones.

The Fretted Synth series is nice for Clean sounds (I liked 1.5 better than 2.0) and they have some good Bass amp sims also.

And even tho I am a Peavey ReValver man anymore, I still use Wurr Audio Green Machine with Voxengo's Boogex & the free CB Ir's you can grab from their site for all the middle of the road stuff...and these are all at Our Favorite Price Point™!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Bezmotivnik

Any of these things equal A3's Coppertop AC30TB? It'd be great to get a smaller VST for that.

I don't really have any use for teh metulz, and that seems to be what this stuff is generally about.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
iwontdieinpa

I personally haven't tried anything else mentioned here. Aside from using an actual amp, my only experience with a sim is the JCM900 and about an hour or so messing with Guitar Rig.

Audiffex's Amplion sounds interesting and I'll be giving that a spin tonight.
iwontdieinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
MacFizz

Simulanalog Guitar suite are old plugins and still sound great after all those years. Too bad there's no mac version, I miss those. A few years back I made nice GUI for those plugs using synthedit, very nice.

And a few others. Sounded great, but only windows and now I'm on a mac...

I think one the guys of simulanalog went to softtube.
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
ObiK

AmpliTube 3 FREE comes with 24 gear models AND the Custom Shop, which we have been known to give out freebies from time to time.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
ObiK

double post.

Last edited by ObiK; 05-27-2012 at 11:34 AM.
ObiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
reapercurious

plugins that are simply drag and drop are the only plugins worth using, for people who use more than one computer.

if IK can make their free plugins into portable .dll's, and maybe cool their jets with all the registration and installer redundancies then maybe it would be a goto no brainer. at this point, its not worth it for people who work on multiple systems in their travels. not that sales people care about what people actually want.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
deesko

yes, i feel the same. simple or not, plugins that are self contained in a folder and as many subfolders as it needs, is the best for multiple systems and even system re-installations. you just need to backup and later restore the folder and you're ready to go.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
deesko

btw, has anyone ever tried this one?

http://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-lite
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
TMA

http://requietus.blogspot.co.uk/

Nice GUI'd Simulanalogs there and some more goodness too !
TMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
AmpliTube 3 FREE comes with 24 gear models AND the Custom Shop, which we have been known to give out freebies from time to time.

Waiting to see the freebies, Opik..... twin reverb was a long time ago.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
ObiK

We have something REALLY REALLY big coming soon we have been hard at work at. We'll probably revisit the freebies after we are done blowing peoples minds. Soon you'll understand why things have been quiet in the AmpliTube Custom Shop.....
Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Untamed Spirit

Quote:
We have something REALLY REALLY big coming soon we have been hard at work at. We'll probably revisit the freebies after we are done blowing peoples minds. Soon you'll understand why things have been quiet in the AmpliTube Custom Shop.....
maybe you've come up with a Kemper for PC
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Kearley

How many posts does Obik/Amplitube need in this thread?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
ObiK

Sorry for the double post, edited. We set the standard and continue to push it above and beyond where it is at now...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
ub373nnn

SimulAnalog is awesome.
Amplitube has too many bugs and I won't be buying IK MULTIMEDIA products in the future.
ub373nnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Kearley

I find that the people releasing free sims right now are doing it better than any of the commercial people
Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub373nnn View Post
SimulAnalog is awesome.
Amplitube has too many bugs and I won't be buying IK MULTIMEDIA products in the future.
First post is to bash IK? Suspect. I am willing to bet you some Gear Credits in the Custom Shop that you have not tried the latest version of AmpliTube. To each their own though. Its free and a great option for anyone trying to make music with their computer.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
ub373nnn

Quote:
First post is to bash IK? Suspect. I am willing to bet you some Gear Credits in the Custom Shop that you have not tried the latest version of AmpliTube. To each their own though. Its free and a great option for anyone trying to make music with their computer.
Bash? uh, no. Whether it's my first post or last does not matter.My post is from my personal experience with Amplitube 2 and 3. Which was not a good experience at all.

The lucky thing out of all of this is my Ex bought both of them for me. So, it was her money and not mine that went to waste.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub373nnn View Post
SimulAnalog is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearley View Post
I find that the people releasing free sims right now are doing it better than any of the commercial people
Humm, in all honesty guys I don't think this is being fair to Obi. I've had SimulAnalog for some time now and in my applications it doesn't compare to AmpliTube.

Granted, I'm not a heavy metal guy but I think AmpiTube would still come out on top if I were. I should also mention in all fairness though, I've only used the paid version of AmpliTube and haven't tried the free one.

The only problem I've had with AmpliTube is it's pretty heavy on the system and when I get 3 or more instances of it, Reaper can start to get a little unstable.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #25
tomica

i've made a list of my favorite free guitar amp sims here:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012...vstau-plugins/

SimulAnalog stuff is on the list, of course, but also a number of newers sims worth checking out.

my favorites right now are LePou and TSE plugins, but i still use SimulAnalog for quick jams sessions. they're easy to set up and still sound very good.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
gavriloP

I haven't used Simulanalog stuff in years but I still have fond memories of them. Lately I've been using mostly Scuffham S-Gear, which is very nice but of course it isn't free. The free amp sim that I love and use the most is Ignite Amps Anvil. It has three great channels and it is very versatile. Of course it needs separate cab sim like LePou's LeCab2 (with some impulses).

Check it out: http://www.igniteamps.com/audio-plug-ins

BTW I bought a cool gretsch-like Ibanez artcore AF75TDG and after some pickup-swapping I've fallen in love with my Epiphone Valve JR amp again. Vintage sweetness is so much easier with real amps, even with cheap tube combo with only one knob No need to go through endless impulse lists and tweaking...
gavriloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #27
Cresta

I didn't try Simulanalog mostly because I am trying to avoid getting back to the "let's try everything" loop and actually make music instead xD
When I first installed Reaper, after trying to switch from Cubase, I found that not only Sampletank but also Amplitube went free (at least in its "light" version) and I think that's a very nice thing although to really be great they should totally get rid of that hideous licensing system which is a true nightmare.
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Humm, in all honesty guys I don't think this is being fair to Obi. I've had SimulAnalog for some time now and in my applications it doesn't compare to AmpliTube.

Granted, I'm not a heavy metal guy but I think AmpiTube would still come out on top if I were. I should also mention in all fairness though, I've only used the paid version of AmpliTube and haven't tried the free one.

The only problem I've had with AmpliTube is it's pretty heavy on the system and when I get 3 or more instances of it, Reaper can start to get a little unstable.

Thanks, have you tried the most recent version of AmpliTube? It uses FAR less CPU and 30% less RAM too.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
shimmy

NI's Guitar Rig is the class of the field.
As for free SimulAnalog is not bad at all.

Last edited by shimmy; 06-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Granted, I'm not a heavy metal guy...
I'd go along with this.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
Kearley

I don't actually think Simulanalog is the best...

My thoughts are that if you have all of LePou's work, the TSE stuff and the Aradaz stuff, you've got a FANTASTIC palate. (Aradaz Crunch for the low gain stuff is awesome)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
danfuerth

Look no offence here to any IK reps, but if the warez crowd is making portable versions of your precious Amplitube 3 then may I ask WTF are you guys doing?

My request for IK is to make their damn apps portable just like all the little pirates out have, they can take them to system to system without any pardon my language FUCKIN problems.

So I guess in a nutshell when warez groups are making enhanced versions of IK applications why does IK sit there and look like idiots!!!

Yes I paid for amplitube 3 was a deal on it. But it pisses me off when warez users of A3 are running it as a portable app ( thinstall application) and can take it on a USB stick and run A3 right off that usb jump drive from any XP or Vista or 7 system

IK are you listening? I don't think so . I am seeing more apps being USBed to run off thumb drives. Why are pirates making better versions of your products?
Since I paid for Amplitube 3 I don't think if I download the A3 USB version that I am doing anything wrong. I want to carry it on a usb stick and right now only the fuckin pirates offer that feature!!!! Pathetic

IK take some action.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #33
ObiK

If you have any features requests you should post them on the IK forums for our whole team (Including members from our Development team) to see.

Amplitube is THE STANDARD when it comes to guitar amp modeling, there is no arguing that. You don't see Fender, Ampeg, Gallien Kruger, Orange, Soldano, Engl, Seymour Duncan, NuTron or the upcoming models from ***** and ********. These companies come to IK and AmpliTube because they know we are the best. Period. To each their own though, if you think you have found your tone else where more power to you. It just so happens we have AmpliTube 3 FREE which is a great option for anyone wanting quality guitar and bass tone, for FREE.

As for torrents, we don't pay them any attention. We focus on making amazing software, not "keeping" up with pirates, cheats and thieves.

You seem really stressed though, take some time to jam and let that frustration out. I always feel better after jamming!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
Cresta

pardon me if I join the conversation with another poster, but this attracted my attention:

Quote:
We focus on making amazing software
indeed you IK doods are great and make great stuff, then why ignore very good ideas and become even greater?
I didn't knew about the "portable version", an official release would be simply epic!
Also, c'mon, I really like your stuff and am grateful to you all for being able to use a free version of such gems, but please please please ask developers to find a way to get rid of that abominable licensing system!!! I already dumped Steinberg for its deafness toward this matter. So called anti-piracy systems only hurt honest customers who would pay anyway, and do nothing against those who wouldn't pay anyway by any means.
Thanks for reading so far and for being in this forum
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
gavriloP

Quote:
Amplitube is THE STANDARD when it comes to guitar amp modeling, there is no arguing that. You don't see Fender, Ampeg, Gallien Kruger, Orange, Soldano, Engl, Seymour Duncan, NuTron or the upcoming models from ***** and ********. These companies come to IK and AmpliTube because they know we are the best. Period. To each their own though, if you think you have found your tone else where more power to you. It just so happens we have AmpliTube 3 FREE which is a great option for anyone wanting quality guitar and bass tone, for FREE.
There is amazing freeware nowadays (TSE, LePou, Ignite Amps), and I have to say S-Gear sweeps the floor with amplitube but that doesn't mean that amplitube isn't a fine product.

But those sponsorships don't mean a thing: you are an advertisment for them, as long as they keep selling the real thing, this is just bonus. They don't care if the emulation is totally realistic, I'd say that they even prefer the situation where "amp is still better". One day when people really start to ditch amps for plugins (I hope to never see the day, BTW) I'd assume their support will change.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
ObiK

I'm sure if any of those other developers got a nod from Orange, Fender or Ampeg they'd be stoked too, but they don't. AmpliTube does. We aren't ignoring anyones ideas at all. Our development team is constantly reading IK users requests on the IK forums for new gear models, features and sounds our users are requesting.

News flash: People have been leaving their amps for digital amp simulation. You can argue it either way, but in reality it is the future, whether you agree with it or use them yourself. It is happening.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
ub373nnn

I tell everyone at the music shop i work at to go for freeware or Guitar Rig.
I share my bad experience with them about Amplitube and tell them I don't recommend them getting it.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #38
gavriloP

Quote:
I'm sure if any of those other developers got a nod from Orange, Fender or Ampeg they'd be stoked too, but they don't. AmpliTube does. We aren't ignoring anyones ideas at all. Our development team is constantly reading IK users requests on the IK forums for new gear models, features and sounds our users are requesting.

News flash: People have been leaving their amps for digital amp simulation. You can argue it either way, but in reality it is the future, whether you agree with it or use them yourself. It is happening.
It is clear that this trademark business is what IK does. It is your strategy and I'm fine with that. Many folks care about logos and GUIs.

I didn't talk about amps people use for recording. Most of the home recording market has used pods, zooms and such amp emulators, and there are your competitors in that market, not real amp manufacturers. Home recorders don't like loud amps in their homes, setting up mics and preamps etc. It is easier and more economical to use plugins for that.

I was refering to the main use of amps and that is bands and gigging. When people start to play with laptops (or those iPhone thingies) through PA, that would be the end of rock

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I'm not bashing IK, and I hope I won't be misunderstood. I was just defending some free amp simps that are actually on level with commercial products and also S-Gear that is very good, if somewhat limited. But I am a happy user of Amplitube too. In fact I found good use for my Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb, in a manner that combines new with old. My real tube amp don't have spring verb, but I really need that sound. I have few nebula spring programs and such but they are less than ideal for this sound. So I recorded amp normally and then used Amplitubes Fender 65 Reverb without cab sim, and spring 100% wet, set tone and gain to quite low and mixed that with the original signal: the result is really great and convincing amp sound with spring verb! That's the beauty of plugins I don't know if the IK's spring verb is just an impulse but anyway it is just right for this!

Last edited by gavriloP; 06-03-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #39
antiClick

I also can't recommend Amplitube... it's not a very stable vst, its prone to cpu munching, and the GUI is too big.

If you want to pay I recommend Studio Devil Amp.

Last edited by antiClick; 06-03-2012 at 04:41 AM.
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #40
Cosmic

I am in no way affiliated with IK..but Amplitube is by far the best sounding and most stable ampsim I've used.Its absolutely fabulous.I've given up micing cabs since I got it.

Don't know what its like for metal though.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote