Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
DeathByGuitar
Human being with feelings

Default How did Justin do this in Reaper? (video inside)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Cw7V-iyt8

I know he said this was done in Reaper but I have no idea how. I have an idea for a dumb little comedy sketch where I'm interviewing myself and this sort of thing would be essential for me to be able to pull it off. Thanks!
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
zeekat

It's not edited. How do you think he develops so much stuff by himself?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 AM   #3
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Cw7V-iyt8

I know he said this was done in Reaper but I have no idea how. I have an idea for a dumb little comedy sketch where I'm interviewing myself and this sort of thing would be essential for me to be able to pull it off. Thanks!
Usually an alpha channel would achieve this. Like in images, you can create alpha channels for video to show where the video shows thru and where not. Reaper allows alpha channels with the video processor preset "image overlay".

Just create a logo in Photoshop with an alpha channel, which sets the visible area, save it as png with alpha channel, import it to Reaper and use the "image overlay" to only see the chosen pixels.

Same is possible with video, but you need to create the alpha channel for it. An alpha channel is nothing more than a black and white instance for what pixels will be shown (color white) and what areas are transparent (color black) and of course all the greys in between.

Justin did record five videos and created alpha channels so they only show a specific range. Maybe its already possible by using fading or vignette like effects in video processor. But i have no idea.

Hope that helps to understand. Its not to complicated to make an interview with yourself.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
karbomusic

He filmed 4 videos (one video per reaper track), then used the crop preset in "video processor" to expose just the sections where he was standing in each video, which is a plugin for video items/tracks. Crop is part of a preset, not it's name, the color changes came from the stage lighting preset in that same video processor JS plugin. Just search for video processor in jsfx.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
He filmed 4 videos (one video per reaper track), then used the crop preset in "video processor" to expose just the sections where he was standing in each video, which is a plugin for video items/tracks. Crop is part of a preset, not it's name, the color changes came from the stage lighting preset in that same video processor JS plugin. Just search for video processor in jsfx.
I knew it was somewhere in the video processor (which I've used extensively in the past) but couldn't figure out what preset would do that. I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys for the input and if anyone else has any sights,please chime in.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
I knew it was somewhere in the video processor (which I've used extensively in the past) but couldn't figure out what preset would do that. I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys for the input and if anyone else has any sights,please chime in.
The crop may not be a default preset in video processor, stage lighting is though. For crop see the reaperblog.net, as he has a free "essential video controls" preset that has crop and he has some YT videos that will get you there.

The process is literally as I described. 4 videos on 4 tracks with the person in different positions in each video, use crop to expose the underlying tracks. A side-note that video only displays the top-most track, but when you use crop it exposes the video in the track below and so on. So... if there are 4 people across the screen so to speak, one is cropped to the leftmost 25%, the second the next 25%, and so on.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
The crop may not be a default preset in video processor, stage lighting is though. For crop see the reaperblog.net, as he has a free "essential video controls" preset that has crop and he has some YT videos that will get you there.

The process is literally as I described. 4 videos on 4 tracks with the person in different positions in each video, use crop to expose the underlying tracks. A side-note that video only displays the top-most track, but when you use crop it exposes the video in the track below and so on. So... if there are 4 people across the screen so to speak, one is cropped to the leftmost 25%, the second the next 25%, and so on.
I hadn't seen that video before, but it looks very similar to one I did using Vegas. I'm going to go grab those essential controls, since I'm now using Linux exclusively for everything including REAPER.

I haven't tried installing Vegas in WINE, and if I can do most of the things I used it for (mostly personal entertainment), I could just start using REAPER in place of it.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I haven't tried installing Vegas in WINE, and if I can do most of the things I used it for (mostly personal entertainment), I could just start using REAPER in place of it.
I was a bit of Vegas head years ago, but now I'm a Davinci Resolve freak because it's free and kicks the ass - all the videos I've posted were done with davinci except... for the very first one (alice in chains) was done with reaper - the latest one from last week which includes some heavier video concepts was davinci.

Reaper is perfectly capable for basic video stuff and will still use it but once you get into color grading and some of the more advanced stuff, something else is better which is expected. Still though an awful lot of basic video editing is perfectly doable in reaper.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
I was a bit of Vegas head years ago, but now I'm a Davinci Resolve freak because it's free and kicks the ass - all the videos I've posted were done with davinci except... for the very first one (alice in chains) was done with reaper - the latest one from last week which includes some heavier video concepts was davinci.

Reaper is perfectly capable for basic video stuff and will still use it but once you get into color grading and some of the more advanced stuff, something else is better which is expected. Still though an awful lot of basic video editing is perfectly doable in reaper.
I have Kdenlive, which is a native Linux video suite that is supposed to be fairly badass, but I've only thrown a couple video clips on it's timeline and done basic wipes and stuff to verify that it works.

If I can do simpler video stuff and still have some cool functionality all within REAPER though, I might start using it for some video tasks.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
If I can do simpler video stuff and still have some cool functionality all within REAPER though, I might start using it for some video tasks.
It's doable and you can automate the video params (pan/zoom/crop/etc.) as well. Perfectly capable for basic editing and is what I used up until early sept.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
DeathByGuitar

Slightly off-topic: I came up with the idea to interview myself after a similar video I posted to Facebook had such a great reaction. There was a possum my house a few weeks ago, so once I finally trapped him (at like 5 in the morning after he somehow made it into my bedroom) I promptly started to film a talk show in a Rachel Maddow/Charlie Rose kind of style and it was largely improvised. One of my strangest and fondest memories to date.

https://youtu.be/yGzhTPkMIMs
Old 10-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
karbomusic

Wow that's a real possum, where I come from that looks like lunch.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Slightly off-topic: I came up with the idea to interview myself after a similar video I posted to Facebook had such a great reaction. There was a possum my house a few weeks ago, so once I finally trapped him (at like 5 in the morning after he somehow made it into my bedroom) I promptly started to film a talk show in a Rachel Maddow/Charlie Rose kind of style and it was largely improvised. One of my strangest and fondest memories to date.

https://youtu.be/yGzhTPkMIMs
Funny video! I had one of those walking down my fence a couple months ago when my dog and the neighbor's dog on the other side of the fence both started jumping at it, and it froze in it's tracks for almost half an hour totally motionless (with dogs lunging and barking), which let me take some good pics of it.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
Eliseat

Quote:
Cropping? Please take a look at the right feathering effect where he is standing with the guitar. Its blended, not hard cropped. Maybe he used cropping and blending, but definitely not the normal cropping from Jon's "video essentials". Anyway. It would be more flexible using alpha channels in this case because they don't have to be in square shapes.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Cropping? Please take a look at the right feathering effect where he is standing with the guitar. Its blended, not hard cropped. Maybe he used cropping and blending, but definitely not the normal cropping from Jon's "video essentials". Anyway. It would be more flexible using alpha channels in this case because they don't have to be in square shapes.
I see opacity changes via automation but not seeing the feathering, not saying it isn't there, I trust you, but it wouldn't be required to achieve this affect (straight crop will work) unless lighting conditions change, camera gets moved, or trying to hide an accidental overlap etc, which we would want to avoid anyway if making this type of video. Feathered crop is nice (and standard in most video apps), but not a hard requirement to learn the basics of this idea. I did not check to see if the crop has a feather control though but it's all one basic concept that predates reaper.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2018 at 09:14 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
JamesPeters

It's not just cropping. You can see the background ghosting through him (the "bass Justin" and "electric guitar Justin"), and sometimes he "leans in front of himself" etc.

If I had to guess: he took a frame of video of the background (probably from the video in which he was drumming) and used that as a basis for creating "subtraction" for the other videos. Exactly how I'm not sure since I haven't played with this kind of thing yet.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #17
Eliseat

I also have to correct me because png images don't save an alpha channel rather than just saving the transparency of the image. So it seems Reaper doesn't have alpha channel processing. At least i didn't find it.

Sorry, I was just assuming from my memories.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #18
lunker

Way off topic, but my favorite part of the video is the Jesusonic box on the floor in the background!
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
It's not just cropping. You can see the background ghosting through him (the "bass Justin" and "electric guitar Justin"), and sometimes he "leans in front of himself" etc.
Though worded as such... I didn't intend to describe what Justin is actually doing, I intended to describe how to get four of "someone" into a video because the first post surely reads to me as if that is what the OP wants to do, which is an old concept done for decades now. IOW, the method is far less important than the end result.

Quote:
I also have to correct me because png images don't save an alpha channel rather than just saving the transparency of the image. So it seems Reaper doesn't have alpha channel processing. At least i didn't find it.

Sorry, I was just assuming from my memories.

Not a big deal at all since I think the user just wants more than once copy of himself in the video regardless of how it is accomplished. Off topic... I did something remotely similar in a video I posted last week where I faded me out as I was playing. That was with two copies of the video, one a shot without me in it, then another on top with me in it, at the end, I just fade the top video out via opacity which makes it look like I was the only thing fading out. Another one of those 'old school' yet very common video tricks.

------------

To everyone.... the term subtract with pixels just means turn pixels that are the same between layers black, or possibly transparent in this case, so it could be used to accomplish the same as with feathered cropping but at the end of the day, it's the same desired result. The last time I did this, I used a crop simply because it was so easy.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Way off topic, but my favorite part of the video is the Jesusonic box on the floor in the background!
It was my favorite part too.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
viscofisy

I don't use Reaper video editor, and I haven't had time to check my theory but ...

There's a "blend mode" used in video/image compositing (the interweaving of pixel layers) called "Subtract". Justin's video is called "Subtraction" so I'm guessing that he used a Subtract mode to blend the layers - possibly in order to get the cymbals to appear in front of the Acoustic Guitar Player. (also, using Subtract maybe then led to the unintended effect of the background layer bleeding through the Bass and Lead Gtr players).

He also must have used a Crop or Mask on the left side of the screen, as you can see the Ac Guitar Player disappear while walking off.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post

There's a "blend mode" used in video/image compositing (the interweaving of pixel layers) called "Subtract". Justin's video is called "Subtraction" so I'm guessing that he used a Subtract mode to blend the layers -_
That should be correct or close, subtract is very well-known pixel blending algorithm. Often used in various ways, including motion detection (any pixels that differ between two frames turn white, same pixels turn black aka null for example assuming a motion detect algorithm), IOW, it's the pixel equivalent of an audio null test. Let's say pixel A has a value of 100 and pixel B has value of 100, then 100-100=0.

FWIW, the video processor preset subtract works this way IIRC so anything moving gets rendered, otherwise black, it's pretty cool looking actually, no need to listen, just look - it's from last year when I was testing reaper vid and a looper at the same time.

If two videos are overlayed, the black is probably just the underlying video content per Justin's demo - haven't tested though. I am pontificating some here but I think it's close.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
woogish

it'll only work for regular comedy sketches, not dumb ones
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #24
Justin
Administrator

That one was made by writing some processors that subtracted a reference image, then added to the common background. I'll see if I can dig up the project for it, I think I posted that at some point...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #25
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That one was made by writing some processors that subtracted a reference image, then added to the common background. I'll see if I can dig up the project for it, I think I posted that at some point...
Did you ever find anything from this? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #26
Justin
Administrator

Here it is:

https://1014.org/_/subtraction.zip

224MB -- I re-encoded the video files down to a really low bitrate (1.5mbps vs the original 25mbps) to keep it manageable in size. It looks a bit crap but you get the idea.

That link will only be valid for a few weeks so if you want it, get it now!

The baseline tracks have a "sample and hold" preset on it that avoids having to decode the video file (making it perform better) -- if you removed this, it'd still work, but probably look a bit different as the noise profile of the background would change...

The way all of these FX interact is really fragile, I think after doing this I improved the way FX presets can get frames from other tracks/etc. but I forget.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #27
DarrenH

Thanks for sharing Justin, it's great to see the project broken down. I'd definitely check out the band that had this vibe going on.

Quote:
Here it is:

224MB -- I re-encoded the video files down to a really low bitrate (1.5mbps vs the original 25mbps) to keep it manageable in size. It looks a bit crap but you get the idea.

The baseline tracks have a "sample and hold" preset on it that avoids having to decode the video file (making it perform better) -- if you removed this, it'd still work, but probably look a bit different as the noise profile of the background would change...

The way all of these FX interact is really fragile, I think after doing this I improved the way FX presets can get frames from other tracks/etc. but I forget.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #28
bolgwrad

Yes, thanks very much for sharing. More (at least Windows) users should know how straightforward even sophisticated video edits are in Reaper, esp. when it comes to audio dubs. The time I've wasted with the likes of things with 'Pro' and 'Magic' in the name. And don't start me on Windows Movie Breaker.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #29
DeathByGuitar

I spent like an hour or so looking at this last night. Played around with the different video processor presets that were in the project. Came up with something in the ballpark but it kinda ended up looking like the Take On Me video.

Little did I know that this kind of thing takes literally 10 seconds in Davinci resolve and looks flawless. It was worth a shot in Reaper, though. I love seeing all the crazy stuff we can do with it, even if some of it is impractical.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:

Little did I know that this kind of thing takes literally 10 seconds in Davinci resolve and looks flawless. It was worth a shot in Reaper, though. I love seeing all the crazy stuff we can do with it, even if some of it is impractical.
Davinci Resolve kicks ass, bar none. I still use Reaper for certain video projects and love it, but some more complex concepts are better in Resolve et al.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #31
earhax

Quote:
Here it is:

Darn. I just today discovered video processing in Reaper, and came across this video in the blog. Cool stuff! Wish the link was still active. Would love to have this preset!
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:24 AM   #32
Eliseat

If Justin don't mind I could upload the project to my mega account. But not sure, if its okay.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #33
amagalma

I am interested in this too!
Old 06-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #34
earhax

Quote:
If Justin don't mind I could upload the project to my mega account. But not sure, if its okay.
Well, once something is on the internet, it'll always be on the internet. I think there's a rule about that somewhere. ^.^

I'm guessing it should be fine, unless the content creator gave specific instructions not to share something, or released it with a particular license. And I don't think either of those apply in this case.
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #35
karbomusic

It's really better to ask. No need for specific instructions, that's automatically implied by being the creator. Either way, it's a better call and good form or respectful to Justin to ask and be sure.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #36
vitalker

Quote:
It's really better to ask. No need for specific instructions, that's automatically implied by being the creator. Either way, it's a better call and good form or respectful to Justin to ask and be sure.
The question was asked 2 years ago and answered by Justin.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
The question was asked 2 years ago and answered by Justin.
Well that makes it easy then.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #38
vitalker

Quote:
Well that makes it easy then.
But now it doesn't make sense, because the link is inactive. Just wrote about it.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
But now it doesn't make sense, because the link is inactive. Just wrote about it.
Right, the question I was addressing was whether being OK to post what Eliseat had already downloaded to a third party download service. My thought was it would be better for justin to say he didn't mind.

Quote:
Old 06-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #40
vitalker

Quote:
Right, the question I was addressing was whether being OK to post what Eliseat had already downloaded to a third party download service. My thought was it would be better for justin to say he didn't mind.
Okay, got it! Yep, if he made it available for a short time, there must be a reason. I think that's because the code doesn't look great and Justin as a programmer is shy to show bad code.