Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
flight
Human being with feelings

Default Control surface feedback

Before posting a feature request, I wanted to check and make sure the functionality doesn't already exist, or that the feature hasn't already been requested. Haven't seen mention of it anywhere, but I could have missed it.

Wondering if Reaper has the capacity to feedback to a control surface such as the Behringer BCF2000, so changes made on screen with a mouse are reflected back to the control surface? The BCF2000 has the capacity to respond to MIDI commands, so theoretically a change to, say, a fader onscreen could feedback to keep the corresponding control surface slider in sync.

Does the functionality exist? If not, is there already a FR that anyone knows of to implement this?

-f
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
flight

Default Update

After reading the post
"BCF2000 in Mackie Mode - Was working, now broken " in this forum, I got enough information to set up the BCF2000 NOT as described on pages 72-74 in the Reaper manual (Preferences->Audio->MIDI devices), but instead to set it up under Preferences->Control Surfaces as [BCF2000(using preset 1)]. Now changes to faders and other controls on screen reflect back to the BCF2000. Very, very cool.

However, the control relationships that I had laboriously set up under Preferences->MIDI devices are no longer being used.

For example, I had set up a bank of buttons on the BCF2000 to arm corresponding tracks for recording. these buttons now mute their corresponding tracks, and I'm not finding a way to change this. So it would appear that one must trade off feedback synchronization for the ability to choose which Reaper functions the control surface elements manage. Is this the case or am I missing something?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
artkau

Heya flight

Use your encoder groups to create arm switches. The default BCF control surface template works very well and has parameter feedback for the motorized faders.

I have my BCF labelled and programmed to do all sorts of things in reaper.

PS. Make sure you have the latest BFC FLASH update installed or all your settings get erratically lost.

Last edited by artkau; 07-23-2007 at 11:53 PM.
artkau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
flight

Default About your setup

Hey Artkau,
Thanks for the reply. Do you have your BCF set up under Preferences->Audio->MIDI devices or under Preferences->Control Surfaces?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
flight

Hey again Artkau,
The only thing I see in the manual about programming a control interface for Reaper has to do with keystroke assignments (starting on pg. 71 of the manual). But when programmed this way (through Preferences->Audio->Midi devices) there is no parameter feedback. When set up under (Preferences->Control surfaces), the default template has feedback, but doesn't use the key assignments ASFAIK.

What is your setup and how are you going about changing/programming the template?

Thanks,
flight
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
artkau

Heya flight. You are able to use the BCF as a control surface configured in the Control Surfaces menu as well as use the knobs and buttons for keyboard shortcuts. There shouldn't be any conflict at all.

What I have done is made sure that the first three programs for the BCF all have totally different CC ID's, then I set up the first two Program banks for tracks 1 - 16. The 3rd program I use for 'learning' fx parameters. Using the encoder groups 2, 3 and 4 I train the push encoder knobs for my reaper keyboard shortcuts. I even have splitting and transport assigned to these.

What particular troubles are you having? It worked perfectly well out of box for me?
artkau is offline   Reply With Quote