Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #41
Dr Bob
Human being with feelings

If you cannot pinpoint what actually changed when it stopped working, I would suggest that you do a Windows System Restore to a point just before your MIDI stopped working.

Did you update any drivers etc? Or do you think it coincided with the install of Reason? [Have to ask if your copy of Reason was full retail or not? "Other" sources may well have dumped a virus on you or deleted a file during their "install" process.]

Hopefully going back to a time when it DID work, your MIDI system will be functional again ... it does seem more an OS based problem as it seems to affect many MIDI systems, rather than only one.

Have you done a full virus scan and also scanned with SpyBot Search and Destroy and/or Malwarebytes

http://www.safer-networking.org/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

Hope this helps.

db
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #42
tinam

ive tried system restore but i cant go back far enuff with it to do any good
you see this happened in janaury just before something called FAWM which i do evry year & it takes up all february so i promised myselve id sort it out in march!
i bought reason properly it wasnt pirated or anything
ive scanned with avast & malwarebytes ...ive been told to try something called hijack this & post it on a malware forum

thanks
tinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
Dr Bob

Sorry about the question re REASON, some folks just caught out installing a "bad ass" crack! Just had to be asked.

No older restore point - that's a PITA.

"Hijack This" will give a report of what's tacked into your browser and also what's getting started up when you boot and is running (and may be upsetting the system!).

Don't know your interface, but most have their own control panels/mixers etc ... are there any options in the software for the interface which you (or a bad bit of s/w) has meddled with and disabled the MIDI port(s)???

db

PS Just one quick thing ... When you plug your keyboard in with the USB midi, make sure you plug it in AND switch the keyboard on BEFORE opening REAPER ... (you won't see the USB Midi device in REAPER if you plug it in after starting reaper ... coz the USB device won't have been enumerated and available and so will not bee seen by REAPER ...)

Last edited by Dr Bob; 03-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #44
Susan G

I'm about to throw up my hands, too, but when you re-installed the Saffire drivers, did you make sure the hardware wasn't attached?

I remember my MOTU Ultralite was pretty sensitive about this. It also had MIDI drivers listed in the Device Manager, which my current interface doesn't. If your Saffire does, try uninstalling those and then re-installing the drivers.

If that doesn't help, unplug your Q25, turn off the PC and then plug it in (preferably into a different USB port.) Does Windows recognize it and try to install drivers?

If none of that works I'm at a loss. I've frankly never heard of only the MIDI not working on a device.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Did you shuffle your devices around on the USB ports a lot? The "10 MIDI device limit" described here

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/....aspx/20090210

is obviously still valid on Win 7+8. Maybe you know a knowledgeable guy who is familiar with editing the registry who could go through this (and the other regedit link) for you? Otherwise a clean OS install could get you up and running again faster than more poking around in the dark.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #46
tinam

thankyou all so much for the new ideas ...some dont apply...some unfortunateley i dont know enuff to be able to do ....like reinstalling windows!
ive joined bleeping computer & posted a log & now i have to wait till someone looks it over...so im realy hoping they find something that might explain it all ..fingers crossed!
i will let you know what happens
Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #47
DarkStar

RME reckons that it still exists in Windows 7 too.

Here's a link to a resolution for Windows XP:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_t...t_faq_10entryd
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #48
tinam

i dont understand this 10 limit thing ...is it a total of midi ins & outs?

in januaury my midi devices would have looked like this in the pic when i turned on my digitech guitar station ( i dont know why these say mac when i have windows??)
(they are all disabled now becos they drive me mad keep popping up with this input etc cannot be opened since it all went wrong)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi devices.jpg (52.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
Ollie

Which reminds me... you also have an Audiophile (with MIDI) still installed?

The '10 device limit' means that the registry can only hold 10 entries for MIDI devices. That doesn't mean you have to plug in 10 devices, it creates a new entry every time you change the USB port the same device is attached to so you can reach that limit with much fewer devices by shuffling them around on your USB ports.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #50
tinam

the maudio soundcard i forgot about & didnt disable till this week
( i switched it back on just to take the pic)but in januaury it wouldve looked like that
but no i havent moved any of those things to different ports till this week when i tried the usb keyboard in a different usb socket
so does that mean ive not gone over this 10 limit thing ?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #51
Ollie

Any chance you installed (or use anyway) a Norton Antivirus software package?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #52
tinam

no ollie i have avast...anyway ive had my computer analysed & scanned at bleeping computer for the past week & theyve found nothing suspicsous at all
so i guess ive got to try these registry things you suggested....i realy hope i dont screw everything up..is there a way i can rverse everything if it goes wrong?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #53
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinam View Post
no ollie i have avast...anyway ive had my computer analysed & scanned at bleeping computer for the past week & theyve found nothing suspicsous at all
so i guess ive got to try these registry things you suggested....i realy hope i dont screw everything up..is there a way i can rverse everything if it goes wrong?
If you decide you have to resort to making changes to the registry, there's a command in regedit.exe under File called Export. Just be sure to check "All" under Export Range and you can save all of your current settings to a .reg file and later use File > Import to restore them if necessary.

-Susan
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #54
tinam

thankyou susan yes i am working up the courage to do this & i realy dont want to mess things up worse....a guy from bleeping computer says he might be able to help me so it obviously pays to flutter your eyelashes a bit!

have i mentioned that midi works ok in reason essentials but not in reaper or ntrack ....reason seems to be setup diffrent theres no midi devices box like you get in reaper ....i just wonder if thats important?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
Susan G

Quote:
thankyou susan yes i am working up the courage to do this & i realy dont want to mess things up worse....a guy from bleeping computer says he might be able to help me so it obviously pays to flutter your eyelashes a bit!
I think people in general try to be helpful; no need to attribute it to fluttering anything, IMHO !

Quote:
have i mentioned that midi works ok in reason essentials but not in reaper or ntrack ....reason seems to be setup diffrent theres no midi devices box like you get in reaper ....i just wonder if thats important?
I'm sure you have but I have no experience with Reason so I'm afraid I can't help there.

Good luck-

-Susan
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #56
richie43

Quote:
... so it obviously pays to flutter your eyelashes a bit!
LOL
By the looks of your avatar, you don't have any eyelashes!! (Couldn't resist, so sorry. Good luck with your issue.)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #57
tinam

richie this is the 21st century evry girl wears false eyelashes!
but not in avatars!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #58
Susan G

Quote:
Well, that's an interesting perspective!

-Susan
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #59
richie43

Quote:
but not in avatars!
I guess I hang out with last century women....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Well, that's an interesting perspective!

-Susan
Indeed! I just checked with my 2 young adult daughters, and neither of them have false eye-lashes. So I immediately got on their cases for being so behind the times.....
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #60
dea-man

I have three gorgeous daughters, all teens or 20's, and none of them wear false eyelashes. They get a million compliments because they all have the most beautiful full and long eyelashes.

Yes, they inhereted them from me!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #61
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
I have three gorgeous daughters, all teens or 20's, and none of them wear false eyelashes. They get a million compliments because they all have the most beautiful full and long eyelashes.

Yes, they inhereted them from me!
Lol. My daughters are "lucky" enough to have inherited my coveted uni-brow........ so that's pretty cool......RIGHT??

Last edited by richie43; 07-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #62
tinam

hooooooray its all working again!!
the guy from bleeping computer gave me a script or something that would clear out all the midi bits in the regisrtry but it didnt seem to work so i got so fed up/brave i tried the other fix ollie gave me myself in the registry as the instructions looked very clear ....but again nothing happened even when i restated the computer
so i went to bed totaly depressed & worried i might have messed up my PC registry .....but when i turned it on this morning it was all working properly again....so im not sure realy what the fix was!
anyway thankyou all so much for the help & suggestions i am realy grateful to you all

as for false eyelashes i live in basildon which is probly the false eyelash capital of the world....if you dont wear them here they think you must be a man!