Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
pepe44
Human being with feelings

Default MOTU Drivers @96KHz win10

Anyone having issues with MOTU ultralite MK3 on windows ?
i have been recently doing some test mixing at 96KHz and i´m really more pleased than i was at 44.1KHz. The fold Back aliasing disappears and makes everthing much more focused in the mix, but, i do use the audio interface to listen spotify , youtube and all audio in the system runs through the MOTU main outs.
When i have reaper open all applications stay at 96KHz but if i close reaper they make windows change it to 88.2KHz. I believe this can be a driver issue but MOTU didn't release any recent drivers for this interfaces since 2015 so i´m just stuck with it till i upgrade my converter.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
drumphil

What is the default format in the windows audio control panel for the motu device that is your default windows audio device?

Does the motu control panel give you a sample rate option? Is it set to something other than 96K?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:28 AM   #3
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
What is the default format in the windows audio control panel for the motu device that is your default windows audio device?
when i set motu to 96, it show 88 and 96 at the windows sound properties.
i only have it ticked to 96.
When i set windows to use another audio interface, i have the advanced tab with the option that says " allow application to control this device" with MOTU , i dont. that should be ok unticket, but doesnt show up for the MOTU

Quote:
Does the motu control panel give you a sample rate option? Is it set to something other than 96K?
Yes, its set to 96.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #4
pepe44

The big problem is
When i have for example Reaper open and the motu is set to 96K, all the other apps like spotify, youtube and etc they play at 96 no problem.
When i dont have reaper open and the motu is set to 96 , when i try to poay something from spotify or youtube the interface changes automatically to 88 no matter what.
Looks like a driver issue for me. I say this because if reaper is open, the "gate" to all sound is open to allow passing data in 96k format, so reaper is acting has a main door for audio on all the system. Does that make sense ?
I wish MOTU released a better drivers for this interface on windows using USB 2.0.

Its v4.0.6.6814 | Oct. 28, 2015 ( since 2015)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
pepe44

Do you think if i buy a PCIe firewire card this will be better ? MOTU recommends specific chipset card , Texas instruments. not easy to find these days i guess.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
when i set motu to 96, it show 88 and 96 at the windows sound properties.
Does it show 96K only when reaper is open? What does it say if you check when reaper is closed? If it shows 88K when reaper is closed, then set it to 96K, and see if it remembers that setting after you open reaper and close it again.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
serr

MOTU interfaces respond to sample rate requests. There has to be something sending a sample rate request for 88.2k.

It could very well be that there's a bug in the Windows version of the driver...

There's nothing in the hardware itself that defaults to one sample rate over another or that differentiates between what kind of app makes a sample rate request. (ie. It doesn't only listen to DAW apps but ignore media player apps.)

Do this real quick:
Put the MOTU control panel into view.
Open your OS audio control panel.
Switch the sample rate around a couple times.
Do you see it change on the MOTU control panel following that?

If yes, then it's working and you likely have some rogue app somewhere sending a sample rate request for 88.2k.

aside: Playing a video should generate a sample rate request for 48k in theory. In practice, it stays where you left it and just sample rate converts on the fly. (Or at least that's what lazy core audio does in OSX!)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #8
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Do this real quick:
Put the MOTU control panel into view.
Open your OS audio control panel.
Switch the sample rate around a couple times.
Do you see it change on the MOTU control panel following that?

If yes, then it's working and you likely have some rogue app somewhere sending a sample rate request for 88.2k.

aside: Playing a video should generate a sample rate request for 48k in theory. In practice, it stays where you left it and just sample rate converts on the fly. (Or at least that's what lazy core audio does in OSX!)
If i open the MOTU control panel, the device is automatically "disconected" from windows, is like its waiting for the settings change so it loads back again the MOTU. Weird Drivers!
Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #9
pepe44

Quote:
Does it show 96K only when reaper is open? What does it say if you check when reaper is closed? If it shows 88K when reaper is closed, then set it to 96K, and see if it remembers that setting after you open reaper and close it again.
It Show 96 without Reaper Open, or any other DAW that is requesting the service from the motu. If I dont have any device requesting that sample rate windows just changes to 88.2 if any audio playback service is called , browser, spotify, etc.