Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-10-2021, 02:29 AM   #1
bigjoe
Human being with feelings

Default NI Super8 stuck notes only in Reaper (possible solution inside)

Since i got NI Komplete i wasn't able to use Super8 VST3 instrument.
It Works fine when hosted inside Komplete Kontrol, in any other daw i own (Studio One, Samplitude and ProTools).
I found that the instruments doesn't receive note-off message, instead it triggers a second note with a velocity based on the note-off Velocity...that's kinda strange.
I read that a lot of midi devices doesn't send midi note-off, instead they send a note-on message with a value of 0.
Most daws automatically convert that 0 to 128 (note-off), but reaper doesn't.
I think that's could be the reason for many midi oddities inside Reaper...but that's just my ignorant speculation.

I found a JS Plugin named "note on under X velocity to note off", just place this before NI Super8 and ALL the stuck notes are gone, also note triggers when releasing a key disappear

I hope this could be integrated inside Reaper just for further midi compatibility.

Cheers
Joe
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
b2001

Interesting observation and thanks for posting!
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
Chris Diablo

Thanks for this! I was just resigned to never using it, but this is a great quick fix.
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
Softsynth

I bought it when it was on Reaktor.

Due to what you describe here the VST3 version doesn't even work with wind controllers, and the sustain doesn't work with keyboards either.
I just use the Reaktor version. However I'm not tempted to use that all that much either now as I think the VST3 version should at the very least work properly!
It doesn't give me much faith in the product support or anything from NI today! - actually working with controllers should be the bear minimum even for a free synth, it's bizarre on a commercial release to stay broken for this long.

What is more they have actually fallen behind the best free synthesizers!
Super 8 currently just has the one fixed small size GUI which is a shame given that the graphics are intentionally washed out making it not the clearest option out there visually. I suppose they did that to give it a retro 80s look, but they should've made the GUI scalable.
My guess few folks actually went for this one. The VST3 release is puzzling, they would have been much better off not releasing it at all in this current state. I had expected an update within a day or two, but this is months ago now.

You shouldn't have to use kludge repairs!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
JimHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
I hope this could be integrated inside Reaper just for further midi compatibility.
Indeed, Reaper has the same problem with new Kontakt (VST3).
But NI are to blame for this.
According to MIDI standard, any plug-in must accept "note on" command with velocity 0 as "note off".
This is a kick to Reaper reputation. Any other DAW is ok.
I can offer my own script that also allows you to adjust release velocity after conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NoteChoke.zip (452 Bytes, 2434 views)
JimHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
Interesting observation and thanks for posting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diablo View Post
Thanks for this! I was just resigned to never using it, but this is a great quick fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHawkins View Post
Indeed, Reaper has the same problem with new Kontakt (VST3).
But NI are to blame for this.
According to MIDI standard, any plug-in must accept "note on" command with velocity 0 as "note off".
This is a kick to Reaper reputation. Any other DAW is ok.
I can offer my own script that also allows you to adjust release velocity after conversion.

Yeah, I think it was good of Big Joe and Jim to look for solutions and share them.
I had made all my patches in the Reaktor version anyway. I could use one of these workarounds for VST3 if needs be. NI should fix this.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:21 AM   #7
bigjoe

I use Super8 inside of Komplete Kontrol (works perfectly when hosted) but onestly i’d like to use something i paid in the way it was intended to work.
That’s a big shame for NI.
But also i’m really confused about Reaper handling of note offs.
why other daws just handle this by default and reaper doesn’t?
I’m ignorant on the subject, so is just curiosity not a critique.
Maybe there’s a specific reason.
By the way i realize that NI is to blame! They know the issue since the Vst3 was out but they still did nothing about this and i’m not going to update kontakt because messy VST3i are the last thing i want on my system, especially whe i spent an awful lot of money on their products
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
STOP

Thanx bigjoe your NoteChoke solved alot of issue with Kontakt.

Doesn't sound the same at all with or without your choke. The note without the choke stay anormaly long without being stuck.
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote