Old 05-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,573
Default Reaper BFD3

Now I record my efforts in Reaper I have SSD2 drums and BFD3 Drums as well as others, I use windows 7 Pro.
Along comes yesterday and here we have an update from BFD3 which is only
workable with those computers running Windows Ten....
I imagine now they have lost one client among many is my guess.
Can anyone tell me what the reasons are that the likes of FxPansion software is only able to run on Windows ten rather than Windows 7?
What is in the programming....

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 19,069
Default

Agreed, that is an annoying development trend. Others do it too.

Why not ask FXpansion and let them know your disappointment?
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. . . . Inspired by ...
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #3
H3o
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 7
Default

Lol- why travel on a dusty muddy path with a tired horse and broken cart,when there is anti gravity propulsion and a whole set of infinite universes to explore at will?
H3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:51 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher
 
White Tie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 3,554
Default

Not fxpansion any more. They keep saying that Roli selling off the family silver is nothing to be alarmed about, so ...er... don't be alarmed, yeah?
__________________
The House of White Tie
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
prom
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
What is in the programming....
some lines of code that read - to develop smarter business methods, more prestige, cultivate endorsement.
maybe even milky bovine is written in there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?
hehehe

Is it now under care of new 'portfolio' owner InMusic?
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
DarkStar
Human being with feelings
 
DarkStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 19,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Not fxpansion any more. They keep saying that Roli selling off the family silver is nothing to be alarmed about, so ...er... don't be alarmed, yeah?
True. Before I posted I Googled "BFD32 and the first several links said fxpansion not ROLI! So Google does not (yet) know everything.

ROLI is not selling off the family silver, just given it a polish with the latest Mr Sheen
__________________
DarkStar ... interesting, if true. . . . Inspired by ...
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
LugNut
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: So Florida
Posts: 1,161
Default

Hi,

This is a process that pisses me off.

It looks like I will end up having multiple computers frozen in time. IMHO any benefits for the user is WAY thrown out the window.

I have a os 9 Mac frozen running Soundiver. There is no other equivalent. Don't bring up midi quest.

Now I'll probably freeze my xp machine.....which happily runs reaper...with an idle process count of 28. Uses 558 meg of ram.

And I'm in the process of building my i7 machine...which probably freeze at win 7 pro.

These changes are not for the benefit of better user experience. Its all about big business, and I'm sick of it.

Thank you Justin for not being a dick. Maybe have a word with the reapack guys to allow off line use in xp. Just garbage.

Mind you this is for using computers to make music. Not for banking, gaming,socializing, or shopping. I have cheap tablets that can do that. Cept for running flight/racing sims. Dual boot the i7.

Sorry if this seems ot, but I can't stand it anymore and your post grinder popped the pimple:-)

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
Amberience
Human being with feelings
 
Amberience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: swing on the spiral of our divinity
Posts: 2,143
Default

Hey all - Drew from the BFD team here.

As far as I understand it, there are AVX and SSE2 instruction sets and optimisations for BFD3 that were critical to stability aims a year ago or so. The decision was made at that point to drop Win7 support in light of Microsoft also announcing they were discontinuing it from January 2020. So this isn't a new decision.

Windows 7 came out in 2009. BFD3 came out in 2013. They've had a good run together, but now it's time to move on. I know this can be an annoyance for people, but the good news is that BFD3 may very well work on Windows 7 - we just don't support it.

When people say things like "these changes are not for the benefit of better user experience" that is just simply not true.

The vast majority of BFD3 users are on Windows 10 now. OSX users there is a good split between Mojave and Catalina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Not fxpansion any more. They keep saying that Roli selling off the family silver is nothing to be alarmed about, so ...er... don't be alarmed, yeah?
Now then... I've said never that! Although I have said that this is the best thing that could've happened for BFD. I hope the rest of my FXpansion colleagues can help sail the ROLI ship in the right direction. But I'm glad to be well out of it.

Feel free to PM me if any of you have any problems with BFD3 running in Reaper. Reaper is one of our first tier hosts, so we aim to ensure performance is great.

-Drew
__________________
TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
Full disclosure: I am part of the inMusic Brands BFD team. Views and postings are my own
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 22,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Not fxpansion any more. They keep saying that Roli selling off the family silver is nothing to be alarmed about, so ...er... don't be alarmed, yeah?

FWIW my one or two episodes with InMusic - especially on stuff they ave recently acquired - were pretty crap. I still miss my double bass vsti that they bought along with everything else from Sonivox, but then decided not to bother figuring out how to support them.
__________________
Ici on parles Franglais
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,573
Default

Thanks for the words Drew
Just can be very difficult when you have just invested in new SSD's
etc etc etc not to mention the time factor in fitting them in when the hardware shelves will not fit the new drives etc then getting all the programs you have
up and running again because the licenses have been scrubbed after cloning.
Not to mention you have just purchased so and so gear etc etc.
I appreciate that time moves on I understand that I am nearly 68.
However... windows 7 is so stable without all the rubbish I do think it has a great bass.
If there is something needed to run the likes of BFD3 in Windows ten I would understand however if not I do not.
Melodyne has also gone this way evidently and similar to BFD3 a fantastic program.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
valy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,922
Default

It's interesting because Windows 10 (Enterprise LTSC 2019) runs more stable for me than Windows 7 (or 98, 95, 3.11) ever did. And I'm asking way more of it than I ever did with those older operating systems.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,573
Default

I would not dispute that windows 10 is stable however having just lost all the history of my mail box including mail addresses form november last year to this month after my mail software adjusted to a windows ten update, I
am aware that not all things can keep up with the changes.
I do have the free update from Microsoft for windows ten on a big flash drive perhaps I should try to install it ...but I am scared, yes a male.. I do not want to destroy my work.
I read a few people had problems with their updates.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
valy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
I would not dispute that windows 10 is stable however having just lost all the history of my mail box including mail addresses form november last year to this month after my mail software adjusted to a windows ten update, I
am aware that not all things can keep up with the changes.
I do have the free update from Microsoft for windows ten on a big flash drive perhaps I should try to install it ...but I am scared, yes a male.. I do not want to destroy my work.
I read a few people had problems with their updates.

Grinder
I completely understand. Upgrading things like operating systems and DAWs can be a huge gamble. I've been burned enough times to backup everything I can't afford to lose in the cloud. That way when my OS craps out on me, all I lose is a day spent reinstalling Windows and all my other software.

And believe me, I still curse Microsoft every so often. Windows 10 isn't without its faults. But on balance, it has proven the most reliable of the Windows versions I've used over the last twenty years or so, especially with audio and music production. Turning off automatic updates completely helps a lot with the peace of mind.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #14
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 22,015
Default

When in doubt back everything up. I mean everything. I got caught by the transition to build 1803 because I was updating from the beta version of W10 & wound up having to completely reinstall everything on a new install of the "proper" win 10. Unfortunately in those circumstances, unless you are very lucky a full reinstall screws up everything. I am left wondering why it has to happen that way (never used to ) and also why Win10 routinely suggests that you do a complete fresh install. And then tell you that it will wipe all your own software & data! Like we all want to shoot ourselves in the foot...
At least now I am on the official version, all that ever happens is that windows resets the output channels I am using. For instance, the last time I did a major update, it removed my output link to adat channels 3&4 and decided to send all output from my sound card to the spdif output, which I have never used. *sigh*

Fingers crossed for you, Grinder!
__________________
Ici on parles Franglais
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #15
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Hey all - Drew from the BFD team here.

As far as I understand it, there are AVX and SSE2 instruction sets and optimisations for BFD3 that were critical to stability aims a year ago or so. The decision was made at that point to drop Win7 support in light of Microsoft also announcing they were discontinuing it from January 2020. So this isn't a new decision.

Windows 7 came out in 2009. BFD3 came out in 2013. They've had a good run together, but now it's time to move on. I know this can be an annoyance for people, but the good news is that BFD3 may very well work on Windows 7 - we just don't support it.

When people say things like "these changes are not for the benefit of better user experience" that is just simply not true.

The vast majority of BFD3 users are on Windows 10 now. OSX users there is a good split between Mojave and Catalina.



Now then... I've said never that! Although I have said that this is the best thing that could've happened for BFD. I hope the rest of my FXpansion colleagues can help sail the ROLI ship in the right direction. But I'm glad to be well out of it.

Feel free to PM me if any of you have any problems with BFD3 running in Reaper. Reaper is one of our first tier hosts, so we aim to ensure performance is great.

-Drew
Long time BFD user here, since version 1! You guys killed it with the Albini set, that had me sold completely. I hope BFD continues for a long time.

Fantastic to see a member of the team here!
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #16
Amberience
Human being with feelings
 
Amberience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: swing on the spiral of our divinity
Posts: 2,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Thanks for the words Drew
Just can be very difficult when you have just invested in new SSD's
etc etc etc not to mention the time factor in fitting them in when the hardware shelves will not fit the new drives etc then getting all the programs you have
up and running again because the licenses have been scrubbed after cloning.
Not to mention you have just purchased so and so gear etc etc.
I appreciate that time moves on I understand that I am nearly 68.
However... windows 7 is so stable without all the rubbish I do think it has a great bass.
If there is something needed to run the likes of BFD3 in Windows ten I would understand however if not I do not.
Melodyne has also gone this way evidently and similar to BFD3 a fantastic program.

Grinder
No problem, and I fully sympathize. It's incredibly frustrating. I recently went through a huge rigmarole getting my machine up and running with OSX Catalina, and everything that entailed, in order to then repackage all of our expansion packs to be Catalina compatible with fresh installers and download tickets. Let's just say I wasn't a happy bunny at the end of that work week!

I'm running a dual platform Hackintosh machine, Win10 and Catalina, and I really really REALLY hate messing with it. Much like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Long time BFD user here, since version 1! You guys killed it with the Albini set, that had me sold completely. I hope BFD continues for a long time.

Fantastic to see a member of the team here!
Thank you. I don't make a big song and dance about who I work for, but been around for a while. Big Reaper user!! All of the packs in recent years have been recorded and edited in Reaper.
__________________
TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
Full disclosure: I am part of the inMusic Brands BFD team. Views and postings are my own
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #17
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
All of the packs in recent years have been recorded and edited in Reaper.
Wow. I did not know that.

I switched to bitwig purely for live bfd use, as I couldnt figure out the roller/looper on the beatstep pro within Reaper, but everything comes out the PC, thru a mixer and back into Reaper for recording.

The roller/looper and the beatstep's probability settings, in conjunction with BFD, is one of my favourite things of all time
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #18
Amberience
Human being with feelings
 
Amberience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: swing on the spiral of our divinity
Posts: 2,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Wow. I did not know that.

I switched to bitwig purely for live bfd use, as I couldnt figure out the roller/looper on the beatstep pro within Reaper, but everything comes out the PC, thru a mixer and back into Reaper for recording.

The roller/looper and the beatstep's probability settings, in conjunction with BFD, is one of my favourite things of all time
Sounds interesting. Any videos of the setup? I'm curious.
__________________
TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
Full disclosure: I am part of the inMusic Brands BFD team. Views and postings are my own
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #19
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Sounds interesting. Any videos of the setup? I'm curious.
Not yet! But that question can spur me on to making one!

I've been making a very, very slow transition to hardware over the last year or more, practising with individual bits of kit. I'm still yet to put it all together for a proper jam but I'll do one this week. The beatstep pro controls BFD and a Rickenbacker vsti I usually use. The BSP supports polyrhythms (sort of), so polyrhythms, probability and bass always in sync, instant remixes

That was the idea anyway, but I'm an expert procrastinator
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #20
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Which is why I now use the procrastinators thread to set myself deadlines

Its very useful!
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #21
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,573
Default Latest version of BFD3 with Windows 7

Grabbed this thread as it exists with BFD3.

I wondered does anyone use BFD3 with Windows 7 pro
with the latest version of BFD3? ( oh or the previous version new version out today )
I see that they only mention Windows 10.
Be great to hear from anyone running it in Windows 7.

Thanks

Grinder


https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1/humanoid-dreams
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #22
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Grabbed this thread as it exists with BFD3.

I wondered does anyone use BFD3 with Windows 7 pro
with the latest version of BFD3? ( oh or the previous version new version out today )
I see that they only mention Windows 10.
Be great to hear from anyone running it in Windows 7.

Thanks

Grinder


https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1/humanoid-dreams

Its win10 only these days IIRC

EDIT: Wait, we already had this conversation, in this thread
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #23
Amberience
Human being with feelings
 
Amberience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: swing on the spiral of our divinity
Posts: 2,143
Default

Heya, yes we only support Win10, and have done for some time now.
__________________
TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
Full disclosure: I am part of the inMusic Brands BFD team. Views and postings are my own
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #24
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,573
Default

my question was does it run under windows 7 is anybody using it out there under windows 7 no mention from me about wanting "support".

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #25
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
my question was does it run under windows 7 is anybody using it out there under windows 7 no mention from me about wanting "support".

Grinder
BFD is what made me upgrade to win 10 because I couldnt get it to run under win 7.

EDIT: Which you said yourself right at the beginning of this thread. The latest versions dont run under win 7.

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-20-2021 at 05:47 PM.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,573
Default

I am sorry if did somewhat under the hammer at this time it is quite possible.

Cheers

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:15 AM   #27
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default getting BFD expansion pack to work on Wndows 10

I read through this thread and noticed I may be alone in the fact I did the migration last week. I also grabbed the free expansion pack bfd Horsepower.

Specs == Windows 10 using Reaper 6.24.

Since the migration I can get most of bfd3 to play but can't for the life of me get Horsepower to play. Instead, each time I load up bfd3 it opens up content path showing Horsepower as un-selected. If I re-scan the bfd3 contents it takes me to BFD licenser to register Horsepower -- which was already done last week.

For fun, I went ahead and re-registered, however it now becomes an endless loop of fail-register. Basically making Horsepower unusable.

Anyone able to get their expansion pack to work inside Reaper?

If so, can you hazard a guess, as to what I need to do to make it work?

Cheers, Bill
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #28
Trogdor
Human being with feelings
 
Trogdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 117
Default

I did the same thing. Did the migration over and got the Metal Snares expansion pack. The expansion pack works for me no issue there but every time I open a session I get an error. I just click okay and then I'm finally able to use BFD3 with no issue. It is just more of an annoyance than anything.

Also I used to use BFD3 on WIn7 and it worked great but I switched to WIN10 and I really like it. Very stable and no issues really. Win7 was good but over time less and less stuff supports it so eventually, you have to make the change.

I really like BFD3. The sounds are incredible. The details in the sounds is just amazing. In fact I think it even rivals SD3 which is much newer software so that is pretty amazing, but I think it is time for a BFD4 with a nicer interface. The interface in BFD3 is really lacking. No issues with the sounds that they use. Keep those but just make a better interface.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #29
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I did the same thing. Did the migration over and got the Metal Snares expansion pack. The expansion pack works for me no issue there ...
Thanks, it's encouraging to hear this.

I think I may have found the problem: Windows continues to look for the old FXpansion license manager which I replaced during the migration with License Manager 3.0.

Not sure why Windows didn't get updated. The error message showed this path issue; then, once I checked the Help/About License Manager I discovered inside Reaper, bfd3 uses an expired License Manager (2.0) instead of the new one I installed last Monday.

I am still trying to figure out how you tell Windows to look in Program Files/BFD Drums/BFD License Manager instead of the old x86 file location.

Should anyone know a fix for that, I'd be mighty happy.
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #30
Trogdor
Human being with feelings
 
Trogdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 117
Default

I get the Alert: There was a problem copying your BFD factory systems setting files.

Then it opens up the BFD3 Content locations window and has a window on top saying Your new BFD3 content is now set up and ready to use.

Once I click OK, it works just fine. Would be nice to get rid of that Alert and stuff.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #31
jazztom
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I get the Alert: There was a problem copying your BFD factory systems setting files.

Then it opens up the BFD3 Content locations window and has a window on top saying Your new BFD3 content is now set up and ready to use.

Once I click OK, it works just fine. Would be nice to get rid of that Alert and stuff.
have you tried to run both bfd licence manager and bfd standalone as adminstrator? this did the trick for me.
jazztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #32
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Anyone reading this, if BFD3 is part of your often routine, I'd either wait, or do an install on a different machine.

The latest BFD is causing problems for a lot of users.

Personally, its working fine here, and my addon pack of Jazz Noir works fine, but the BFD forum is currently a hotbed of issues sadly. This migration is proving a little fraught and is likely to take one more update to sort a few issues out.

Its also atm 'online only', meaning the PC has to be online for BFD to work. This is a huge no no in audio circles so I can only assume and hope that this will be gotten rid of for the next version.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #33
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztom View Post
have you tried to run both bfd licence manager and bfd standalone as adminstrator? this did the trick for me.
I just tried exactly that but I get an error message: "There is a problem copying your bfd factory setting files." No dice.

As I type, BFD3 is corrupted to the point not only does the expansion pack not work, all bfd kits/presets/grooves are glitching heavily. Earlier today BFD3 proper sounded OK (Horsepower never has worked), now it is a sad show.

I also just read Maxdembo's comment about general issues currently. Thought it was just me.

Hoping this resolves soonest.
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #34
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Anyone reading this, if BFD3 is part of your often routine, I'd either wait, or do an install on a different machine.

The latest BFD is causing problems for a lot of users.

Personally, its working fine here, and my addon pack of Jazz Noir works fine, but the BFD forum is currently a hotbed of issues sadly. This migration is proving a little fraught and is likely to take one more update to sort a few issues out.

Its also atm 'online only', meaning the PC has to be online for BFD to work. This is a huge no no in audio circles so I can only assume and hope that this will be gotten rid of for the next version.
Thanks for the heads up. As I just wrote, I had the worry it was just me. I am also getting help from bfd support now, but understandably, they are inundated at the moment.
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #35
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_elliott123 View Post
I am also getting help from bfd support now, but understandably, they are inundated at the moment.
Ah nice one, but yeah, they have my sympathies atm, poor Drew/Amberience must be getting it in the neck from all directions
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:14 AM   #36
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Ah nice one, but yeah, they have my sympathies atm, poor Drew/Amberience must be getting it in the neck from all directions
I agree. Despite the desire to have a meltdown, they still are worthy of respect. Fingers crossed the solution comes today.
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:44 PM   #37
Trogdor
Human being with feelings
 
Trogdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 117
Default

I managed to get some help from the BFD forum and now it seems my BFD3 is working perfectly fine. No more annoying messages to copy my settings and whatnot.

I had to go into the Windows registry and do this:


1. Open Registry Editor
2. Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\BFD Drums\BFD3
3. Check for these entries: FirstRun, fxp2inm_migration, and NeedScan
4. If you don’t have them all, create them. They should all be string types.
5. Set FirstRun to ‘No’ without quotes.
6. Set fxp2inm_migration to ‘migrated’ without quotes.
7. Set ‘NeedScan’ to ‘no’ without quotes.

Once I did all of these steps, my BFD3 works perfect as a standalone and in Reaper.All of the entries in step 3 were in my registry and I didn't have to create them. Only had to change fxp2inm_migration to migrated.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #38
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I had to go into the Windows registry and do this:


1. Open Registry Editor
2. Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\BFD Drums\BFD3
3. Check for these entries: FirstRun, fxp2inm_migration, and NeedScan
4. If you don’t have them all, create them. They should all be string types.
5. Set FirstRun to ‘No’ without quotes.
6. Set fxp2inm_migration to ‘migrated’ without quotes.
7. Set ‘NeedScan’ to ‘no’ without quotes.

Once I did all of these steps, my BFD3 works perfect as a standalone and in Reaper.All of the entries in step 3 were in my registry and I didn't have to create them. Only had to change fxp2inm_migration to migrated.
Thanks.
I looked in my RegEdit. The only one missing was #6 which I added. The other two were fine. I fired up standalone as well as bfd3 inside Reaper. I do see the kits. The two issues I have which persist differ from yours:

1.Since bfd Horsepower was downloaded and Authorized through BFD License Manager it remains unusable. There is something up with bfd and Windows: it continues to show it needs registration. Whenever I click the license icon inside bfd3, Windows then complains that the License Mgr in Programs Files(x86)/FXpansion not found. (Note: This is the long ago retired 32-bit version.) This remains unresolved.

2. Starting yesterday all kits/samples/grooves glitch like mad. Nothing was changed with Reaper buffer settings. All other vsts behave -- just bfd3 glitches. Same behavior inside StudioOne 4 which I also have. bfd3 standalone also glitching. I tested bfd on my ssd = same glitching issue.

In case #2 rings a bell, I am all ears for a solution.
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #39
Trogdor
Human being with feelings
 
Trogdor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_elliott123 View Post

In case #2 rings a bell, I am all ears for a solution.
I have no issues with my sounds making any kind of glitching. They are working perfectly. Sorry to hear that you have this issue.

Maybe a full uninstall/re-install is needed?
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:52 AM   #40
b_elliott123
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default

I will do an un-install/re-install on bfd3.

A point I need clarification before I proceed:

1.Do I simply run the BFD3 Uninstaller.exe I still have in my download fldr from last week?

or,

2. Use bfd license manager to de-auth first?

I'm thinking I should be fine with #1 only, thus avoiding the restrictions placed on number of auths bfd permits per month.
EDITL See next posting.

Last edited by b_elliott123; 05-01-2021 at 05:19 AM.
b_elliott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.