Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #121
TonE
Human being with feelings

Who cares of NASA except you (because you are repeating so often)?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #122
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
Doesn't ReaFir do the same thing if you set it to compressor mode?
Have you any tips how to use it bestly, tried a bit, but nothing sounding interesting enough. Only destroying the sound more, here.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #123
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Who cares of NASA except you (because you are repeating so often)?
I was taught in college by NASA scientists at the Florida Institute of Technology and happen to know they are smart as fuck.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #124
Held

Quote:
Have you any tips how to use it bestly, tried a bit, but nothing sounding interesting enough. Only destroying the sound more, here.
I haven't used that one yet. But I think if you keep a straight line as a compressor, it'll flatten the harmonic spectrum. But there isn't much control over the compressor, so I don't know how good the result will be.

Some people are super excited about MSpectralDynamics and say similar things to what people say in this thread. Like that it will magically improve any mix that you pass trough it. But I haven't tested it.

Next week, you can get for half-price (100€).
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #125
Coachz

Quote:
Tame set to 20 and then move recover up somewhere between 0 and 20 typically works very well
Old 11-22-2020, 02:53 AM   #126
TonE

I meant ReaFIR.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #127
ReaperStudent1

Default Gullfoss Install now problem free?

This question must sound stupid at the end of this long thread but....early Reaper posts suggested some serious installation problems with Gullfoss. I assume no one is having that problem anymore?
ReaperStudent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #128
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperStudent1 View Post
This question must sound stupid at the end of this long thread but....early Reaper posts suggested some serious installation problems with Gullfoss. I assume no one is having that problem anymore?
No problem here (Win 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1083, Reaper 6.32).
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #129
S.L.I.P.

Gullfoss (including all three editions) for Windows and macOS (VST/VST3, AU and AAX) is priced $199 USD. Use coupon code MASTER30 at the checkout to get a 30% discount, valid through July 31st, 2021.

https://youtu.be/N0lb9Wt-acA?si=z7Dxj0lJnre6_y9E
S.L.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:14 AM   #130
Goofball Jones

I just wish all plug-ins would have in big, flashing red WARNING text telling you they use ILok before you buy it.

So far, I only have one thing that uses it, and I had no idea it did until AFTER I bought it.
Goofball Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #131
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
I just wish all plug-ins would have in big, flashing red WARNING text telling you they use ILok before you buy it.

So far, I only have one thing that uses it, and I had no idea it did until AFTER I bought it.
I wish all plugins explained up front EXACTLY what their CP consists of. A long time ago accidentally bought a synth that required iLok, but I never installed or used it. But it's up to us to read through the system requirements, which at least somewhere, even if not in an obvious place on the website, will mention iLok if it is required, so I really can't complain.

At any rate, when Gullfoss became The Next Big Thing I looked into what it does a little bit, and happily discovered and purchased Teote by Voxengo, which has, similar to Reaper, a righteous little local activation key. Great plug if one is looking for a similar dynamic balancing tool without the heavy-handed CP crapola.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:48 AM   #132
bigjoe

Well, i really don't understand this "iLok hate" sentiment.
I own iLok since more than 10 years and i hava about +300 licenses stored on it.
I can take my licenses with me, install the plugins and just plug the iLok to work.
Nowdays you don't need iLok hardware dongle, you just install the licenser and most plugins will activate WITHOUT a dongle.
But honestly? i prefer the dongle.

Back to Gullfoss. i demoed this thing and it's interesting and annoying at the same time.
I really made a deep dive into the manual to understand the reason why 10K must be always bumped up
I ended up by just using the "red line" on the right to limit the range.
Also there's just no way to adjust "timings".

I gave up on Gulfoss when i realized it gave me just a tiny bit of an ear candy and nothing more.
So i uninstalled the demo and never thinked about it again.

At some point i spotted "TEOTE" on Voxengo website... i ran the demo and...bang!
That's what i was searching for.
It's different from gullfoss in the approach, but the goal is the same and it does just better without spiky boosts or cuts, without 10K boosted by default and with tunable curve and timings.

Maybe it's perfect for me, but not useful to you...but really check this out
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #133
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
I own iLok since more than 10 years and i hava about +300 licenses stored on it.
I can take my licenses with me, install the plugins and just plug the iLok to work.
Nowdays you don't need iLok hardware dongle, you just install the licenser and most plugins will activate WITHOUT a dongle.
I would only point out that you can easily do ALL of these things with software that uses simple local licenses, without having to install any third-party software. And unlike with the iLok cloud activation, you don't need to connect to the internet to activate plugins, which constitutes a grotesque, morally criminal violation of our right to maintain a private workstation.

But I am glad you found and like Teote!
Old 07-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #134
Roscoe P. Coltrane

DMG multiplicity - no ilok and fantastic.
Roscoe P. Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 AM   #135
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
I would only point out that you can easily do ALL of these things with software that uses simple local licenses, without having to install any third-party software. And unlike with the iLok cloud activation, you don't need to connect to the internet to activate plugins, which constitutes a grotesque, morally criminal violation of our right to maintain a private workstation.

But I am glad you found and like Teote!
Yes, i understand.
But software activations most of the times have limitations ( for example, Native 3 machines, Arturia 5 activations ecc..).
Only DMG, FabFilter and Valhalla have licensing models that suits my needs.
I use a dongle since sometimes i work in 3rd party studios.
If i need a particular plugin that the studio doesn’t own i can’t activate plugins based on this model because it’s against the agreement and, most of all, it’s annoying to enable somebody else computer to use stuff i bought.
With the dongle i just plug it in, install the plugin and i’m ready.

This way i can also share my personal licenses with the studio i work with without breaking any agreement.

I think it’s just different needs for different people.

PS: yeah yeah...i own every DMG plugin, i know how good dave is but Multiplicity is doing veeeery different things from TEOTE or Gulfoss..
They are very different in every way you look at them.
Multiplicity is a precision tool to shape frequency response, enhance or tame transients, treat resonances and expand or compress specific areas.
I really don’t see a lot of analogies since both of the two (teote and gulfoss) are tuned to achieve a specific target reference using up to 64bands (TEOTE) or inverse FFT Filters (wich is what i believe Gulfoss is based on...not really AI to me).
I achieved similiar results to gulfoss with Mspectraldynamics from Melda but it’s tricky to nail timings and FR curve...not impossible but really time consuming...really don’t waste time like i did, just get Gulfoss if you like it
Old 07-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #136
Coachz

Quote:
But honestly? i prefer the dongle.

Back to Gullfoss. i demoed this thing and it's interesting and annoying at the same time.
I really made a deep dive into the manual to understand the reason why 10K must be always bumped up
I ended up by just using the "red line" on the right to limit the range.
Also there's just no way to adjust "timings".

I gave up on Gulfoss when i realized it gave me just a tiny bit of an ear candy and nothing more.
So i uninstalled the demo and never thinked about it again.

At some point i spotted "TEOTE" on Voxengo website... i ran the demo and...bang!
That's what i was searching for.
It's different from gullfoss in the approach, but the goal is the same and it does just better without spiky boosts or cuts, without 10K boosted by default and with tunable curve and timings.

Maybe it's perfect for me, but not useful to you...but really check this out
Gullfoss amazes me at how Tame tightens up the bass resonances/muddiness. Regarding the hi freqs, yeah you can move the red line to limit it and make that a default so you don't have to keep doing it or you can pull the brighten down.

Can you give an example of what you use TEOTE on and the settings ? I found the number of knobs overwhelming. Gimmie something simple I can test.

Coachz Repo
Old 07-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #137
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post

Can you give an example of what you use TEOTE on and the settings ? I found the number of knobs overwhelming. Gimmie something simple I can test.
That’s an hard question to answer! It depends really a lot on what you feed into it!
For most “calm” songs i tend to use FX at around 25%, Natural behaviour, Flat response and tilt the slope to about 4dB (just to brighten up things a bit).

For electronic stuff it depends a lot on the density of the track, but i hit a bit harder on th FX knob, select the energetic behaviour (most of the times works well with upbeat music) EQ loud response and leave the slope to 4.5dB. Eventually i limit the range to keep the kick knocking.

In almost every situation i like to activate 64bands (more cpu but smooth response) and 2x oversampling seems to be beneficial to very high frequencies.
I usually don’t mess with attack or release...default settings works well, maybe very fast and “spiky” songs benefits from slightly faster settings...but as always, it depends on the program you feed in.

To help you wrap your head around, think of it as a compressor with a fixed threshold with many bands individually controlled by the plugin.
You have you base attack, which is the slower lower band time, since each band react progressively faster to compensate for shorter wavelenghts in higher bands. You don’t have to worry abouth such things, it’s automated, so just do by ear like a normal bus compressor.
Same goes for release.
Ch link is just as a normal channel link of a compressor. I use it always unlinked to avoid fluctuations in the phantom center of the stereo image, but that’s a bit of a personal obsession
Above the CH link you have a selector that dictate how the compressors ar going to work, is just like selecting a VCA compressor instead of a FET or a VariMu ecc.. Each type have interesting behaviour.

Bands let you select how many band split (how many compressors) you want. The more band you use the more precise you can be (but more cpu is required). The less band you use the more you obtain “overall color” instead of precise behaviour (very good for shaping a bit an already good mix and give it movement).

Slope is just like the slope on a spectrum analyzer, let you decide to aim for a darker tone (higher values) or a brigher one (lower values). 3dB slope is pink noise slope, 0dB slope is white noise slope (really bright).
Hi and Lo cut are just the same as the red band limits on gulfoss, nothing special.

Room dip is an addictional filter, a regular peaking filter (fixed -2.5dB cut) to cut “mud” in the lower bands or just to use to attenuate any frequency band you need to control.
You can disable the dip by setting it to 20hz (it turns off).

That’s it.

It’really nothing very complicated, i hope this will help you to try and see if Teote does something useful for you.
Cheers
Old 07-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #138
Coachz

Thanks for the great info on TEOTE. Wouldn't you want to LINK instead of UNLINK the channel so you have equal amounts of "compression" on both channels thereby preventing fluctuations in the phantom center of the stereo image ?

Coachz Repo
Old 07-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #139
grayter1

Quote:
I use a dongle since sometimes i work in 3rd party studios.
If i need a particular plugin that the studio doesn’t own i can’t activate plugins based on this model because it’s against the agreement and, most of all, it’s annoying to enable somebody else computer to use stuff i bought.

This is the number 1 reason why I'm pro iLok. If you work at home, own a studio and hate the idea of the iLok, use whatever you want. I get it. However, if you move between facilities, spaces and computers (like I do), you begin to see the value. As noted above, I can show up at another studio or Post house, install and get to work.

Who has time to be dicking around with auth codes on a facilities machine? Then you have to remember to de-auth when you're done, or run some app to manage it after you get home. If you forget, then someone is using the software you license.

During lockdown I worked mostly at home and went into the office occasionally, and the iLok made moving between the two seamless. I'm also a Pro Tools user since the mid 2000's. It's not a choice, and you quickly get used to the idea of it.

I've never had an issue with mine (I'm now on a gen 3) and the ZDT (Zero Downtime) insurance is worth it.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 07-18-2021 at 11:56 AM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #140
bigjoe

Quote:
Thanks for the great info on TEOTE. Wouldn't you want to LINK instead of UNLINK the channel so you have equal amounts of "compression" on both channels thereby preventing fluctuations in the phantom center of the stereo image ?
Yes you’re right, i messed up while writing
I use it LINKED, sorry for my mistake.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #141
Quasar

Quote:
Yes, i understand.

This way i can also share my personal licenses with the studio i work with without breaking any agreement.

I can appreciate why you're okay with the dongle because of the relative convenience it affords for your use case...

...I just can't resist from pointing out that it's only relatively convenient when comparing it to a variety of other bad activation policies. It is not in any way more convenient than using products from companies that have righteous activation policies.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:24 PM   #142
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
I can appreciate why you're okay with the dongle because of the relative convenience it affords for your use case...

...I just can't resist from pointing out that it's only relatively convenient when comparing it to a variety of other bad activation policies. It is not in any way more convenient than using products from companies that have righteous activation policies.
Yeah, that’s a very good point.
Onestly i thonk that Klanghelm have the very best licensing possible.
You log into your account, you download your already authorized software, install it and you are good to go!
No codes, challenge response, file to be opened inside the plugin... totally painless.
When you uninstall the software you’re taking your license with you.

My second favourite is activation by importing license file, especially melda, lat you activate all their plugins on your sistem with a single drag and drop.
There are license limitation most of the times, but the process is really easy.

Two activation method i really don’t like are:
1 proprietary managers and activation via login: Arturia, Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, FXpansion, Flux, Roland... oh my god!
ILok is one “manager to activate them all” and having so many license manager installed is just insane and most pf the times licenses are very limited and restricted, to deactivate plugins you have to deactivate the machine manually from you account or...you can’t in some cases! Which is BS!

2 challenge response: you are given a serial number, you insert the code and you’re provided with ANOTHER code, locked to you.
You have to keep that code safe...for years, you don’t want to lose it.
Yeah, some companies keep your code on your account, other make clear in the response email that it’s all on you.
I like to buy from plugin boutique because it keeps my codes on my account, from multiple developers, in one place...but not for every one of them.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #143
Quasar

Quote:
Yeah, that’s a very good point.
Onestly i thonk that Klanghelm have the very best licensing possible.
You log into your account, you download your already authorized software, install it and you are good to go!
No codes, challenge response, file to be opened inside the plugin... totally painless.
When you uninstall the software you’re taking your license with you.

My second favourite is activation by importing license file, especially melda, lat you activate all their plugins on your sistem with a single drag and drop.
There are license limitation most of the times, but the process is really easy.

Two activation method i really don’t like are:
1 proprietary managers and activation via login: Arturia, Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, FXpansion, Flux, Roland... oh my god!
ILok is one “manager to activate them all” and having so many license manager installed is just insane and most pf the times licenses are very limited and restricted, to deactivate plugins you have to deactivate the machine manually from you account or...you can’t in some cases! Which is BS!

2 challenge response: you are given a serial number, you insert the code and you’re provided with ANOTHER code, locked to you.
You have to keep that code safe...for years, you don’t want to lose it.
Yeah, some companies keep your code on your account, other make clear in the response email that it’s all on you.
I like to buy from plugin boutique because it keeps my codes on my account, from multiple developers, in one place...but not for every one of them.
Yep. I completely agree with you about those two activation methods. Many of these stupid, proprietary "download managers" are actually hyped as a "service" to make it easier for us, as though manual downloads were back-breaking physical labor or something. If, like you, I had a recurring need to go to remote locations and use plugs, I would much prefer the dongle to that crap too.

Before NI adopted Native Access, I was okay with the offline C/R approach. But they taught me that it can't be trusted, as the company can and will break their own end-user agreements, dropping support for the activation system you paid for and consented to use.

The thing is, with simple local licenses such as you get with Klanghelm, Voxengo, AudioThing, Reaper, Valhalla, uHe, Fabfilter, Hornet (which uses no CP at all), Garritan et al., you have the freedom to use it however you like without phoning in, and it's a de facto honor system that you are one person using it on a single computer at a given time...

Something akin to the Free Software Movement, not free as in free-of-charge, but free as in usage rights, should be the law of the land, not some fringe alternative.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #144
Coachz

Default Gullfoss master announces ed

https://www.gearnews.com/gullfoss-ma...astering-work/

Coachz Repo
Old 07-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #145
bigjoe

Quote:
Is already out, it’s free for existing customers.

They posted a video on youtube 6 days ago
Old 07-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #146
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/

My go to. Yes it's not the same, but it's also not iLok. And as all TDR stuff, sounds absolutely amazing.
Nothing special in my opinion.
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #147
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/

My go to. Yes it's not the same, but it's also not iLok. And as all TDR stuff, sounds absolutely amazing.
Seconded. This and Limiter 6 GE are true hidden gems , and just like Glennbo, I regard these as belonging to that rare group of plugins that I make sure to have handy even on Linux workstations, even though it requires running them non-native. Very few plugins are that good.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #148
daverich

why has everyone (including voxengo it seems) forgotten about soniformer!?

It was doing all this stuff and more 10 years ago - brilliantly.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:33 AM   #149
Lynx_TWO

If you like Gullfoss, check out oeksound’s Soothe2 and Spiff. Soothe2 is a true dynamic resonance suppressor that just works, and can easily get super surgical. Spiff is a transient shaper. The interfaces are a bit different but once you hear what those plugins do it’s impossible to unhear

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 07-22-2021 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:47 AM   #150
bigjoe

Nova GE, Soothe, Spiff and Soniformer are very different things and their purpose is different.
I really can’t relate them to Gulfoss or TEOTE for multiple reasons.

NOVA is a dynamic EQ with resonance control and eq matching tools, the Q is constant and so the reference, wich is static once acquired.

Soothe is more relatable to Melda Mspectral Dynamics, it’s a spectral compressor with fixed constants, band limited activity zone and it reacts only to the highest peaks, doesn’t do “broad band” shaping. It’s just a resonance tamer.

Spiff is the same concept as Soothe, but controlled by a double envelope stage (so it’s a spectral transient shaper). You can tame fast clicks, pops, harsh consonants like “t” or “k”...
But again, no broadband shaping...it’s a tool for very different tasks.

Soniformer is not so far, it’s kind of an ancestor, you draw a reference target but soniformer only dompress downwards

🙂
Old 07-22-2021, 04:24 AM   #151
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
If you like Gullfoss, check out oeksound’s Soothe2 and Spiff. Soothe2 is a true dynamic resonance suppressor that just works, and can easily get super surgical. Spiff is a transient shaper. The interfaces are a bit different but once you hear what those plugins do it’s impossible to unhear
Soothe 2 is sweet. It was easily able to tame bass rumble and bass that kept popping up over the mix. Drum leveler looks interesting too. Great to see smarter equalizer / compressors becoming available. Powair us the ultimate put it in the pocket leveler and you can automate its target level too.

Coachz Repo
Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 AM   #152
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
why has everyone (including voxengo it seems) forgotten about soniformer!?

It was doing all this stuff and more 10 years ago - brilliantly.
I'm an old Soniformer user from almost twenty years ago, when there literally wasn't anything else like it. It was a true eye opener then, yep!
Old 07-22-2021, 04:36 AM   #153
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Soothe 2 is sweet. It was easily able to tame bass rumble and bass that kept popping up over the mix. Drum leveler looks interesting too. Great to see smarter equalizer / compressors becoming available. Powair us the ultimate put it in the pocket leveler and you can automate its target level too.
When ever Soothe comes up (especially in this context where iLok is also mentioned), I like to give a shout out to TBProAudio's DSEQ as well. I actually had a Soothe license [well, I still have it], and it's a great piece of software - but after demoing DSEQ I actually preferred that one. As an added bonus, unlike Soothe, no iLok. Just a 100% local activation fair and square. (And as such, doesn't need some license managers or whatnot, and works through a compatibility layer in Linux without hassles, too, if one is so inclined )
Old 07-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #154
Quasar

Quote:
Soothe is more relatable to Melda Mspectral Dynamics,...
🙂
I'm a Melda fan, have a bunch of their plugs, and they have the righteous local key file CP...

...Somehow, I got MSpectralDynamics for free as an NFR, though I have not yet delved into it and learned how to use it. Your post reminds me that I should prioritize this, thanks.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #155
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
When ever Soothe comes up (especially in this context where iLok is also mentioned), I like to give a shout out to TBProAudio's DSEQ as well. I actually had a Soothe license [well, I still have it], and it's a great piece of software - but after demoing DSEQ I actually preferred that one. As an added bonus, unlike Soothe, no iLok. Just a 100% local activation fair and square. (And as such, doesn't need some license managers or whatnot, and works through a compatibility layer in Linux without hassles, too, if one is so inclined )
DSEQ I have not yet tried, but vaguely familiar with it. I know the original Sooth has some issues (wouldn't touch low frequencies, dug in a little too deep too often) but with Soothe2 they fixed all of it with their Hard and Soft setting, and whatever they did to redesign the maths behind it.

Now if only Gullfoss and Soothe2 could support doing all their wonder-math in relation to all the channels in a full surround mix - that could be a huge deal for the movie industry - esp. with helping avoid an issue they sometimes currently have no one talks about, like sometimes reaching overlapping frequency peaks of 132dB+ :O
I have to find the article but during the study, I believe one modern theater with 128 speakers, due to Dolby Atmos, hit a peak SPL of 185dB at one point due to the number of speakers and channels. That's a bit nuts.

EDIT: This demo of DSEQ3 on this terribly compressed mix is pretty impressive. Apparently, I bought DSEQ2 and never used it - betting DSEQ2 and Sooth original had similar issues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yXr0Tn-sY
Now I'm really regretting buying Smooth Operator I' find that one to be best used at 50% or less wet. The visual is really nice to pinpoint issues, and it's easy to get quick good results though.

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 07-23-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #156
TonE

I guess one day saike would do this, if he wants and has time for it. I mean from potential point of view.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #157
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
The controls couldn't be easier to use and make the results instantly noticeable. One of the tricks of many plugins is to simply boost things and then we perceive them as better.
When I pushed the recover parameter, more highs come out instantly and seem to lift a veil off of the music but when I go back and forth between bypass it becomes very clear that it is a good thing and not just a hyped thing. What I mean is that when you go back and listen to it later it still sounds great. On to the bass. My partner and I are really impressed with how the definition of the bass comes out clearer than ever without stepping on anything else. The tame control did that. Anyways can you tell I'm impressed. I think I read it EQs 300 times per second.

Pumping in the EQ really makes the music sound more vibrant in a good way. Well done

https://www.soundtheory.com/home
Something that a ton of people seem to miss: let’s say you drag the tame and / or recover slider. You’ll notice that on the left side and bottom there’s an indicator line that will be moving. This tells you how much the tone is changing in real time. The left side is brought back to center by using Bias control, and the bottom indicator is brought back to center using the Brightness control. What this does is apply all your corrections without changing the actual tone of the audio, especially in the highs and midrange. If for some reason the bass has been changed too much, that’s where you use the Boost to add or subtract overall bass..

It’s amazing to me how many tutorials for Gullfoss miss thise side and bottom indicators. With Gullfoss Master (included) the controls are defined in tenths of a percent for ultra-fine control.

Also, don’t forget to click on the Gullfoss logo and change the offline quality to Best, then save as the default in Reaper. Another thing most tutorials miss.

And yea, Gullfoss is amazing. I usually will use it on stems / subfolders / busses (drums, horns, all vocals, etc) in addition to the mastering as, on the busses a 5-7% correction is usually enough to make a significant difference overall.

And now you can sidechain Gullfoss. This can potentially work well if you bus all subfolders to Chanel’s 1&2 on a separate track (turn off the master send on the subfolders/busses of course) then send the vocals to channels 3&4 and adjust from there. It’s not the same as something like Trackspacer but can be an interesting way to try and fit a vocal into the mix since near as I can tell it’s making the corrections for the vocal in the new instrument buss.

Finally, the built-in auto gain in Gullfoss is unmatched in anything else I’ve used. Wish ALL plug-ins were that good! The most extreme corrections won’t change your LUFS levels overall. It’s like magic.

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 07-27-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: More info