Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Gullfoss eq is truly revolutionary, but ILok sux

I had a chance to try this EQ recently and I was totally blown away by it as was my partner. This is a dynamic EQ that can pull out high frequencies and tame mud in the base like nothing I've ever heard. Use it on the master or on individual tracks and it's simply incredible. The thing that makes it so interesting to me is what I call a pumping effect.

When you see it operate you can see what the EQ is doing dynamically and it seems to have this pumping affect that very gently brings out pleasing frequencies and allows you to tame unwanted frequencies like muddy bass. The controls couldn't be easier to use and make the results instantly noticeable. One of the tricks of many plugins is to simply boost things and then we perceive them as better.

When I pushed the recover parameter, more highs come out instantly and seem to lift a veil off of the music but when I go back and forth between bypass it becomes very clear that it is a good thing and not just a hyped thing. What I mean is that when you go back and listen to it later it still sounds great. On to the bass. My partner and I are really impressed with how the definition of the bass comes out clearer than ever without stepping on anything else. The tame control did that. Anyways can you tell I'm impressed. I think I read it EQs 300 times per second.

Pumping in the EQ really makes the music sound more vibrant in a good way. Well done

https://www.soundtheory.com/home

Last edited by Coachz; 10-02-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Doc Brown

ILok? No can do.

In fairness it looks and sounds good and would be worth checking out but that's not even possible without all the ILok crap so not for me.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
ILok? No can do.

In fairness it looks and sounds good and would be worth checking out but that's not even possible without all the ILok crap so not for me.
yup, that should be in the thread title
a glowing endorsement, though -- i was curious
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
Coachz

Good point. I lok is freaking evil
Old 10-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
synkrotron

Regarding the EQ, I already have FabFilter Pro-Q3, which is also dynamic. It would be interesting to know how they compare.

Regarding iLok.

I resisted iLok (mainly because of the hardware dongle) for a long time, then along came Adaptiverb, so I had no choice other than to sort out an account.

As well as Adaptiverb I also have Wormhole, Blackhole and Soothe. And I manage those licenses across my main workstation and a laptop.

Up to now I haven't experienced any issues. That said, I know people on other forums who have, in the past, and it does still worry me.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
ILok? No can do.
Interesting ... I thought I was the only one. Looks like there are a few of us.

Now that some plugins don’t require a hardware dongle, and just use the iLok software to manage licenses, I’ve considered joining the dark side. But haven’t found a plugin that really called to me that strongly.

I might have done it for Sound Toys or iZotope, but both of them introduced an iLok-less authorization method before I purchased.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
kirk1701

This particular plugin only requires iLok License Manager, not the physical usb dongle. This is a completely free. It works no differently than Waves Central, Arturia Software Center, or Plugin Alliance Installation Manager. I use all of these with very little trouble.

I resisted iLok simply because of the extra costs associated with the usb drive. Once it went freeware with the license manager, I jumped in. It's not that bad. I was able to access PSP Audioware and Kush Audio, which I wouldn't have been able to without it. Both of these companies are worth the effort.

If you like this plugin, don't let the License Manager scare you off. Yeah, it's a pita to register yet another account, but it will cost you no extra $/£/€.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
karbomusic

I'm ilok free as well - It just that I only have so many slots in my single point of failure list and it's full already.

That said, what makes it any more special than say melda dynamic EQ which I have. I also have Pro-Q3 but Melda Dynamic is sort of specific for dynamic EQ
Old 10-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
poetnprophet

I first heard of Gulfoss from a White Sea video a while back. I tried the demo, and immediately bought it. It's not just a dynamic EQ in the sense you pick a frequency (or several) and it adjusts that frequency to your settings. This plugin is like a dynamic dynamic-eq! The (seemingly infinite) target frequencies change and the processing changes depending on the signal, all the time. Sometimes it dips, sometimes its flat, sometimes it rises. This is one of the AI type processing plugins I actually think is useful. I'm pretty sure this can be used on nearly any material at any stage and will enhance the sound.

Regarding iLok, I've had the plug for probably 6 months now, and I totally forgot it was attached to my iLok. Not like my slate plugins that remind me every single month.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
This is one of the AI type processing plugins I actually think is useful. I'm pretty sure this can be used on nearly any material at any stage and will enhance the sound.

Regarding iLok, I've had the plug for probably 6 months now, and I totally forgot it was attached to my iLok. Not like my slate plugins that remind me every single month.
They literally state it isn't an AI program in the description.
No problems here with software iLok, otoh a whopping £160 for a software EQ yeesh!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Yeah, it's a pita to register yet another account, but it will cost you no extra $/£/€.
bugmenot, anyone?
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
lowellben

DMG has the best multiband and dynamic anything-tool available. It's impossible to even begin to see it's insane power until you dive in.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
ivansc

Went on their site & couldn't see a price anywhere...Exactly which of their 3 eqs is your fave?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Interesting ... I thought I was the only one. Looks like there are a few of us.

Now that some plugins don’t require a hardware dongle, and just use the iLok software to manage licenses, I’ve considered joining the dark side. But haven’t found a plugin that really called to me that strongly.

I might have done it for Sound Toys or iZotope, but both of them introduced an iLok-less authorization method before I purchased.
Yeah there are a few of us... I will continue to resist an iLok account in any form.

In addition to MAutoDaynamiceq, Melda Productions also has MSpectralDynamics, which can do a lot in terms of creating spectrum profiles, revealing & dealing with frequency collisions and such, and they have a great, simple key file system similar to Reaper's.

Great news about Sound Toys dropping the iLok mandate! I now plan to check out the details and re-investigate their product line.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Went on their site & couldn't see a price anywhere...Exactly which of their 3 eqs is your fave?
Multiplicity.
Does literally everything.
https://www.dmgaudio.com/multiplicity

Multiband compression, expansion, gating, dynamic EQ, the lot.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
Softsynth

https://www.dmgaudio.com/multiplicity
£175.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
bugmenot, anyone?
I had to look this up, but it looks cool.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
They literally state it isn't an AI program in the description.
No problems here with software iLok, otoh a whopping £160 for a software EQ yeesh!
yes i know (I probably should have worded that differently), but it really should be considered so, in the sense that the plugin does a whole lot for you with almost no input. to be honest, I almost feel like it's kind of cheating using it
Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #19
Coachz

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5004

I'm really reluctant to jump into a Melda forum, so tell me to get lost if you will! Just to say - Gullfoss is not a dynamic equalizer. We try very hard to preserve the dynamics - there's a form of loudness conservation in what it does. Part of what Gullfoss can do is to egde the frequency distribution towards an idealised form that helps to maximise the information received by your brain from the audio signal. (Sorry if that sounds cookie, but it is literally what we try to do!) A somewhat cruder way of doing this is to try and 'pink' your signal - and you can use techniques similar to the one you mentioned. Eddie Bazil has a really nice article about this in Sound on Sound a few months back. But beneath the hood Gullfoss is doing a lot more - and the overall aim is to enhance the audiblity of perceptual elements within your mix....
David
Soundtheory
Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
Nostrap

I regret not picking this up when it was on sale. It's pretty cool. I ended up getting izotope neutron 3 instead. It has a sculptor module which you can set to the add fullness setting and it's pretty similar to what gullfoss does
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
karbomusic

I'm all for it and surely believe you guys if it is and sounds good but..

I hate those buzzwords that don't have actual meanings in that description. I bet it uses electrolytes.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm all for it and surely believe you guys if it is and sounds good but..

I hate those buzzwords that don't have actual meanings in that description. I bet it uses electrolytes.
It's got what mixers crave!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #23
EvilDragon

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/

My go to. Yes it's not the same, but it's also not iLok. And as all TDR stuff, sounds absolutely amazing.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-02-2019 at 11:14 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
It's got what mixers crave!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/

My go to. Yes it's not the same, but it's also not iLok. And as all TDR stuff, sounds absolutely amazing.
Yeah I picked this up in the sale for $30 recently, most impressed.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #26
todoublez

You can also try the "COLAEQ-228" from COLA series by Acustica Audio.
they made a AI eq preset, which provide u an "EQ wise" at the start of your mix by their algorithm.

well EQing but also with a warm rich analogue tone.

very fun to play with.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #27
Softsynth

Quote:
yes i know (I probably should have worded that differently), but it really should be considered so, in the sense that the plugin does a whole lot for you with almost no input. to be honest, I almost feel like it's kind of cheating using it
I'm guessing words like AI and machine learning are probably more about marketing terms when used in EQs anyway.
Interesting, cheating who exactly?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #28
mplay

I installed ilok manager just for this eq, it's really something special. I like that it helps me mixing when you see it's boosting or cutting certain frequencies. When you correct these with other eq,s and gullfoss isn't doing big corrections it really shines in bringing out more details in the mix. I use crave eq which has really become my workhorse eq, love the piano roll that was added in the last update, no longer need a note frequency sheet . I also have lot's of Nebula eq's and they give me lot's of different flavors, using different ones for lows mids and highs. For sub frequencies I recently got bx_subsynths, which really helps in getting the ultra low end under control. Finally I feel I have everything covered now

Last edited by mplay; 10-02-2019 at 11:55 AM.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #29
fred garvin

Very cool. Have to check out that Melda stuff too, what I've used of theirs I've really liked.

That being said, listening to the demo, what I use that I find very similar is:

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-thirtyone/

for $20, and no copy protection at all. YMMV.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #30
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplay View Post
I installed ilok manager just for this eq, it's really something special. I like that it helps me mixing when you see it's boosting or cutting certain frequencies. When you correct these with other eq,s and gullfoss isn't doing big corrections it really shines in bringing out more details in the mix. I use crave eq which has really become my workhorse eq, love the piano roll that was added in the last update, no longer need a note frequency sheet . I also have lot's of Nebula eq's and they give me lot's of different flavors, using different ones for lows mids and highs. For sub frequencies I recently got bx_subsynths, which really helps in getting the ultra low end under control. Finally I feel I have everything covered now
I think there's something more though that can't be done by mimicking it with other eqs. There is this pumping to the rhythm of the song that really causes instruments to become easier to hear in more detail. Just watching the eq curve during the song shows this pumping and really makes it for me.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #31
mplay

Quote:
I'm guessing words like AI and machine learning are probably more about marketing terms when used in EQs anyway.
They basically have a database of all the presets the testers made with certain material and use some deep learning algorithms to come up with a preset for the sound you're working on. In the context of a mix I'm not finding it that useful, but it can give a nice starting point.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #32
analogexplosions

I feel like such a bootlicker sometimes since I've had basically no problems with iLok in the past 15 or so years. I know people have had problems with iLok failures, but knock on wood, I haven't had a single problem yet.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #33
mplay

Quote:
I think there's something more though that can't be done by mimicking it with other eqs. There is this pumping to the rhythm of the song that really causes instruments to become easier to hear in more detail. Just watching the eq curve during the song shows this pumping and really makes it for me.
I completely agree, what mean to say it that gullfoss works best if it doesn't have to work too hard. If there's a frequency that is standing out, it sounds better to me to correct that problem before the signal goes to gullfoss. I'm probably just stating the obvious
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #34
mlprod

iLok rocks!=)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #35
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplay View Post
I completely agree, what mean to say it that gullfoss works best if it doesn't have to work too hard. If there's a frequency that is standing out, it sounds better to me to correct that problem before the signal goes to gullfoss. I'm probably just stating the obvious
Old 10-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #36
JHughes
Banned

Yes, people here love to complain about ILok and how horrible Windows 10 is and how they're never leaving Windows 7 (or XP!) and if they do they are switching to Linux. It's like a broken record.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #37
mplay

I actually like windows 10. I do make sure to back up the windows install after I do an update and everything is working properly, so if an automatic update comes I can always go back. Never had to though...
Old 10-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #38
poetnprophet

Quote:
True...i'm not even smart enough to know what any of that is to begin with.

what i mean about cheating is that, after I have done a mix, 100% believe i am 99% finished (haha), I throw this thing on there, a few small adjustments and in 1 min I have an even better sounding mix.

in the beginning I would turn it off, go back into the mix and try to "fix" what gulfoss was "fixing". In the end I accepted that it does something that I just can't. I've always had a rule that if I can't describe or justify in detail where I'm using a plugin and why, then I don't use it.
"What's that EQ doing there?"
"I dunno, I just like it"
...so, in a way I'm cheating myself by using this when I really don't know what it's doing or why, but "I like it".
Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #39
Coachz

Quote:
True...i'm not even smart enough to know what any of that is to begin with.

what i mean about cheating is that, after I have done a mix, 100% believe i am 99% finished (haha), I throw this thing on there, a few small adjustments and in 1 min I have an even better sounding mix.

in the beginning I would turn it off, go back into the mix and try to "fix" what gulfoss was "fixing". In the end I accepted that it does something that I just can't. I've always had a rule that if I can't describe or justify in detail where I'm using a plugin and why, then I don't use it.
...so, in a way I'm cheating myself by using this when I really don't know what it's doing or why, but "I like it".
Its pumptastic
Old 10-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #40
Softsynth

Quote:

I understand, you would prefer to be fully in control of how the results are achieved, not merely satisfied that you got there with the help of routines you do not fully understand.
Quote:
Its pumptastic
Supposedly desirable pumping artifacts described here are a head-scratcher for me, other EQs understandably go out of their way to avoid it.