Old 07-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
matt_t
Human being with feelings

Default v6.33rc4 - July 24 2021

v6.33rc4 - July 24 2021
  • + Actions: create measure from time selection will not create a tempo envelope if the user cancels the operation [t=255847]
  • + Windows: installer can optionally configure Windows to save reaper.exe crash dumps
    # FX positioning options will use advanced pref for center/center on mouse cursor
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_t View Post
# FX positioning options will use advanced pref for center/center on mouse cursor
Is this supposed to use the same pref as modal windows? I've got this set to "Center on current screen" and while it works for the first FX, any others just kind of go wherever they'd like. This is using Windows 10. 100% display scaling.

EDIT: got it thanks to posts below.

FX chain window positioning and Floating FX window positioning settings need to be set to OS (default) which then reads the setting off the Advanced/UI. I do agree with Sonicowl this isn't clear and could stand to benefit with an "Use Advanced UI Settings" option or name.

Last edited by Funkybot; 07-25-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:08 AM   #3
sonicowl

This works only when FX chain positioning is set to OS default.
A suggestion... Maybe "OS default" is not most clear, should be "following Advanced UI settings" or something making it clear that additional settings can be made to that selection.

Otherwise, it is great now. I set it to "center of mouse cursor" and I find it very handy. Center of current screen is great too. Great to have both options.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
Edgemeal

Quote:
+ Windows: installer can optionally configure Windows to save reaper.exe crash dumps
Where do the crash dumps get saved?
I already have Win10 setup to auto save crash dumps (Mini dump) for all apps using registry setting, is REAPER doing the same/similar thing?

And can I use both?, REAPER's option and this reg setting?
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
"DumpType"=dword:00000001
"DumpFolder"="N:\\CrashDumps"

Last edited by Edgemeal; 07-25-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #5
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
The new options are working great, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
A suggestion... Maybe "OS default" is not most clear, should be "following Advanced UI settings" or something making it clear that additional settings can be made to that selection.
Agreed, it's a bit confusing.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Where do the crash dumps get saved?
I already have Win10 setup to auto save crash dumps (Mini dump) for all apps using registry setting, is REAPER doing the same/similar thing?

And can I use both?, REAPER's option and this reg setting?
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
"DumpType"=dword:00000001
"DumpFolder"="N:\\CrashDumps"
The installer-option sets it to %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps (which is the default), but only for reaper.exe. It also sets dumptype=2 which is a more detailed (and thus helpful) dump.

You can customize how you like it and not use the REAPER installer's setting if you want, of course.

Last edited by Justin; 07-25-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The installer-option sets it to %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps (which is the default), but only for reaper.exe. It also sets dumptype=2 which is a more detailed (and thus helpful) dump.

You can customize how you like it and not use the REAPER installer's setting if you want, of course.
Thanks for clarifying, I mainly setup that reg setting for REAPER install and portable. I see the option in rc4 is not available if you select portable install, I guess that makes sense.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #8
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_t View Post
[*]+ Windows: installer can optionally configure Windows to save reaper.exe crash dumps
Might be a good idea to make this one on by default IMO. It's not like Reaper generally crashes a whole lot and better to have logs for when it does. Just my two cents.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:35 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Might be a good idea to make this one on by default IMO. It's not like Reaper generally crashes a whole lot and better to have logs for when it does. Just my two cents.
Most people won't ever touch them, though...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Most people won't ever touch them, though...
I just don't remember any other DAW or software that generates detailed crash logs asking me to enable that. It's usually the type of thing you find out about after the DAW has recovered from a crash ("Studio One has recovered from a crash, you can find a detailed crash log here and send it to support") or when you contact support ("go to this location and send the crash.dmp that corresponds to your crash").

Hence my, 'better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it' recommendation to turn on by default. Seems in line with what I've seen elsewhere. Not a huge deal though. Just presenting my thinking on the subject. I'll keep it on knowing it's there.

Note: telling users on next startup that Reaper crashed and a detailed crash.dmp can be found in said location might not be a bad idea either. With a General Preference to turn that off. This way we can bombard you with crash logs!
Old 07-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
akademie

Reaper is known to not-touching windows registry by default (and the only exception is the ReaRoute which is kind of ASIO driver so it has to be registered in system through the registry thing, but that is optional for selection during install procedure, not selected by default).

So I think that Justin knows what he is doing (and why). And I also vote for keeping it like that = as optional during install, not enabled by default. Thanks
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
Coachz

It seems the CrashDumps directory is not created on install. Is it safe to assume it will be created on crash or should I make it ?