Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default installing a .pkg file not working in pacman or anything else...

Can it be done in Majaro? I have a plugin that is providing a .pkg file and a .sh file...I tried the .sh route (essentially the same as Reaper) but nothing happened, well at least it gave no indication of being installed and wehre it got installed to.

So plan B is to try and use the .pkg file - trying to search Google for this is a nightmare, sooooo many links, may of which turn out to be useless

And pacman (aka add remove programs) does no work either...when I try to open with it all I get is a blank screen

Last edited by pax-eterna; 07-21-2021 at 01:26 PM.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
audiojunkie

What is the plugin name? Could you post a link? That will help us better determine what the package is expecting.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
What is the plugin name? Could you post a link? That will help us better determine what the package is expecting.
I d/l from the Sampleson website, but to make it easier here's link for github

https://github.com/augustofilocamo/s...ses/tag/v1.0.0
Old 07-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Pamac is the GUI frontend for pacman (command-line package manager). Anyway that .pkg file is for Mac (pkg.tar.zst would be for Arch-based distros, but that's different). The .sh file is for Linux. The .exe is for Windows.

The .sh file works fine. You have to right click on it, properties, permissions, "allow file to run as a program". It's the same for any .sh file, as far as I know. Changing permissions for one .sh file like this doesn't affect others. You have to do that every time.

Once the installer starts, you'll have to agree to the terms. Hit Y. (I hit ESC first but I don't think that's required.) Or you can scroll through the whole mess if you want. Then you'll have to type in, or paste, the directory for it to install in. So be ready to paste the directory path into terminal (CTRL+Shift+V) when it asks.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
audiojunkie

Yep! This! ^^ :-)
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
pax-eterna

and yep, done all of that ^^ and I still get nothing...installer does not start

Tried "open with" and all I get is a constantly spinning circle...when I try to run it from terminal nothing? I run this exactly the same way I ran the Reaper install-reaper.sh file, it worked fine.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
pax-eterna

haha, ok embarrassment time - I kept typing in a lower case b ahh DUH!!! Changed to the capital B and away we go!

Ok no another issue, trying (in stand-alone) to get it to use the Presonus card, so I go to options and select the Presonus driver (this is after selecting ALSA at the top) and I get an error saying "Audio Driver Initialisation error - the audio driver ALSA could nto be opened"

Could it be that ALSA is tied wup with system sounds? I editied that section to change the Presonus as NON-System?

Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
JamesPeters

No idea at all since I only use plugins in Reaper. The plugin worked for me, so my journey ended there.

Good luck!

PS. You can run .sh files by double clicking in the file browser, as long as you've specified that .sh files should be opened with terminal emulator. Or right click, run with (etc.)

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-21-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
No idea at all since I only use plugins in Reaper. The plugin worked for me, so my journey ended there.

Good luck!

PS. You can run .sh files by double clicking in the file browser, as long as you've specified that .sh files should be opened with terminal emulator. Or right click, run with (etc.)
Thanks James, I did try that but all I got was a spinning wheel (oooh great name for a song there )

TBH I'll probs only ever use it IN Reaper, very rarely stand alone, but as the pc is going on stage with me it'd be good to know I can run it stand-alone if required
Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
JamesPeters

I suppose it's possible the standalone expects you to kill Pulse Audio before it loads ALSA. You'll notice Reaper has an option in the audio device preferences to automatically suspend Pulse Audio. Perhaps this thing doesn't do that.

It's not something I would've noticed since I only use ALSA in Reaper.

Anyway if it can run in Reaper, I'd just use it that way. I doubt there's a benefit to using the standalone version. That or any other plugin versus standalone you might consider using onstage. I'd set up Reaper to be configured for stage use on that computer, and have access to whatever plugins you might need.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I suppose it's possible the standalone expects you to kill Pulse Audio before it loads ALSA. You'll notice Reaper has an option in the audio device preferences to automatically suspend Pulse Audio. Perhaps this thing doesn't do that.

It's not something I would've noticed since I only use ALSA in Reaper.

Anyway if it can run in Reaper, I'd just use it that way. I doubt there's a benefit to using the standalone version. That or any other plugin versus standalone you might consider using onstage. I'd set up Reaper to be configured for stage use on that computer, and have access to whatever plugins you might need.
Yes good points...might be the way to go, and would also save having to configure each onme separately (if such a thing was even possible).
Old 07-21-2021, 10:04 PM   #12
Mikobuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
haha, ok embarrassment time - I kept typing in a lower case b ahh DUH!!! Changed to the capital B and away we go!
No need to do so much typing when in the terminal, tab completion is your friend here :-
https://www.howtogeek.com/195207/use...rating-system/
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikobuntu View Post
No need to do so much typing when in the terminal, tab completion is your friend here :-
https://www.howtogeek.com/195207/use...rating-system/
Cool!! Good stuff, thanks