Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
menosumamais
Human being with feelings

Default Change tempo at edit cursor but i wanted project tempo(Transport)

Hey guys,

Recently I've installed a new copy of Reaper in a new computer I've built and I can't understand how I can change this setting (6.12c). In my MBP it still works as it used to (version 6.11).

I was used to be able to change project tempo through the Transport section (which actually has a description that says "change tempo at edit cursor") but recently, in the 6.12c/new computer, when I change tempo in Transport it actually adds a new tempo change (in the ruler) at edit cursor instead of changing the global tempo.

I've looked through preferences and can't find anything that toggles this behaviour so I don't know if it's a version thing or a preferences thing.

Sorry if I'm being confusing, I can try to explain myself a little bit better.

Thank you in advance!
menosumamais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
solger

Quote:
...when I change tempo in Transport it actually adds a new tempo change (in the ruler) at edit cursor instead of changing the global tempo.
As far as I know, a new tempo marker is normally added if at least one other tempo marker already exists somewhere in the project.

Last edited by solger; 07-10-2020 at 02:28 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by menosumamais View Post
I've looked through preferences and can't find anything that toggles this behaviour so I don't know if it's a version thing or a preferences thing.

Hi Menosumamais,

I tried to nail down the issue and I assume it's neither.
I think it might be a bug.

If you, at some stage inserted a tempo marker somewhere in your project, a tempo marker is inserted automatically at the start of your project as well. If you now delete the 'somewhere' marker or undo the insertion of that marker, the marker at the beginning won't be deleted for some obscure reason. If you now change the tempo in the transport bar, a tempo marker gets inserted at edit cursor position. This surely can't be right.

The solution (for now) is probably to delete the marker at the starting point of the project. Then tempo changing while playing back should work as usual (hopefully).

HTH

-Data
Old 07-17-2021, 06:07 AM   #4
Tyrannocaster

[QUOTE=menosumamais;2315462]Hey guys,

Recently I've installed a new copy of Reaper in a new computer I've built and I can't understand how I can change this setting (6.12c). In my MBP it still works as it used to (version 6.11).

--------------

This is a semi-old thread, but I have the same issue. I updated from 5.x to 6.x and now if I want to change the global tempo I have to do it at the beginning of the piece; anything else adds a new tempo where the edit cursor is. Since I frequently change the global tempo temporarily in order to make several different things easier to do, this is a real PITA. Plus, I'm used to doing it the old way. Having the ability to do it the new way is actually a really good *option*; I just think it should be optional and not the default with no way to change it.

Why can't this be a toggle-able preference?
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
This is a semi-old thread, but I have the same issue. I updated from 5.x to 6.x and now if I want to change the global tempo I have to do it at the beginning of the piece; anything else adds a new tempo where the edit cursor is. Since I frequently change the global tempo temporarily in order to make several different things easier to do, this is a real PITA. Plus, I'm used to doing it the old way. Having the ability to do it the new way is actually a really good *option*; I just think it should be optional and not the default with no way to change it.

Why can't this be a toggle-able preference?
i'm not aware of this being a new thing - hasn't it always worked the way Solger describes in post 2?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #6
Tyrannocaster

No - I can say this because I developed a whole approach to learning tunes using Reaper that involves slowing down sections and keeping the pitch the same. In the older version you could just change the global tempo on the transport and it did it. Then, when you were done, you just reset the global tempo back to what it had been (again, using the transport). If you had already inserted tempo markers, Reaper would respect them though. When using Reaper for this purpose, being able to do this without having to go back to the start of the project and change a tempo marker over and over was really nice (in retrospect).

EDIT: just to verify this, I tried it in Reaper on my linux system. This is Reaper 6.23, same as on my PC. THIS Reaper does not add tempo changes at the cursor when you use the transport to change the bpm; it changes the global tempo *without* adding any changes to the timeline. That's what I was used to on my old system. So they changed something on the Windows version but not on the linux version (at least not as of 6.23).

EDIT 2: Downloaded Reaper 6.0 and it does the Tempo at edit cursor thing; this must have started with 6.0?

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 07-20-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:18 AM   #7
robotron

This one's been annoying me as well. Most of the time I want to change the tempo globally and not have it automatically drop markers.

At first I thought it was due to existing tempo markers but it looks like you can stop this happening by running the action 'Clear tempo envelope'. After I did this I could change the tempo and no markers would be added.
robotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:02 AM   #8
mindlessgenius

I am on 7.10 (on Fedora 39) and I only get tempo markers from changing tempo in the transport if there is already a tempo marker in the project.
When I set the first marker, it also adds a marker with the initial project tempo at 0. Every subsequent change in the transport will add a marker at the cursor.
When remove all markers the tempo control in the transport changes tempo globally again.
mindlessgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:39 AM   #9
robotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessgenius View Post
I am on 7.10 (on Fedora 39) and I only get tempo markers from changing tempo in the transport if there is already a tempo marker in the project.
When I set the first marker, it also adds a marker with the initial project tempo at 0. Every subsequent change in the transport will add a marker at the cursor.
When remove all markers the tempo control in the transport changes tempo globally again.
I was using the Script: X-Raym_Delete all tempo markers.eel but it seems that this doesn't delete the initial tempo marker at the start of the project. Deleting it manually works for me and the clear tempo envelope action also works fine if you need to clear all via an action/button.
robotron is offline   Reply With Quote