Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
isbuck
Human being with feelings

Default Help with Carla on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS

Hi all. long time no post. I have just migrated my music computer from Win to Linux. Everything is working well. I can route audio / midi in and out of Reper from VCV Rack, effects , other synths, sound sources etc using Jack/QJackctl. I having real difficulties getting the Carla routing engine to start. I start Jack and start Carla no problem. As soon as I attempt to load any plugin into Carla I get the message "Cannot add new plugins while the engine is stopped". I can see no way of starting the engine. I Know I'm missing something really obvious here and it's beginning to make me feel silly!
If anyone can give this old duffer a hand here I'd be more than grateful
Thanks Ian
isbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Charango

Hi, if I can give you a little bit of advice: head over to the Linux section of the forum- you will surely get help there. https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52
As for my own experience, I tried jack+Carla but only had headaches with it on Ubuntu.
Two things I changed were I use ALSA instead of jack, much simpler to use and I installed Lin VST which is a more transparent VST wrapper for Windows plugins in Linux. Yabridge is a popular one on the forum at the moment and is getting a lot of love. I haven't actually tried it myself yet.
If you really need to use Jack+Carla for some reason, then let the folks there know why and I'm sure you'll get the help you need.
Good luck.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:53 AM   #3
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbuck View Post
Hi all. long time no post. I have just migrated my music computer from Win to Linux. Everything is working well. I can route audio / midi in and out of Reper from VCV Rack, effects , other synths, sound sources etc using Jack/QJackctl. I having real difficulties getting the Carla routing engine to start. I start Jack and start Carla no problem. As soon as I attempt to load any plugin into Carla I get the message "Cannot add new plugins while the engine is stopped". I can see no way of starting the engine. I Know I'm missing something really obvious here and it's beginning to make me feel silly!
If anyone can give this old duffer a hand here I'd be more than grateful
Thanks Ian
You can install, Cadence (which is part of Carla suite) this will take care of the Jack connection and will handle Carla's routing automatically. I had the same issue some time ago in another version of AVLinux and this is how I fixed it.

Hope this helps

BTW the Linux section is full of helpful people, come over we will help as much as we can.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
isbuck

Default Thanks

Thanks all. I'll head over to the Linux area now
isbuck is offline   Reply With Quote