Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #81
citizenkeith
Human being with feelings

I recently switched over from Waves J37 to Airwindows ToTape5. While J37 has tons of options, I just preferred the sound of ToTape5 for my needs (mainly on the 2 buss).

Channel4 (Neve setting) is something I use a lot too.

Air has been handy, I just used it on a flat sounding vocal (I think the artist recorded it with an Audio Technica 2020 into a prosumer interface, and it gave the vocal the air it needed).

I tried Distance2 on the drum buss but it just turned into mud quickly. I could see that being really useful for electronic drum sounds though.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #82
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I recently switched over from Waves J37 to Airwindows ToTape5. While J37 has tons of options, I just preferred the sound of ToTape5 for my needs (mainly on the 2 buss).

Channel4 (Neve setting) is something I use a lot too.

Air has been handy, I just used it on a flat sounding vocal (I think the artist recorded it with an Audio Technica 2020 into a prosumer interface, and it gave the vocal the air it needed).

I tried Distance2 on the drum buss but it just turned into mud quickly. I could see that being really useful for electronic drum sounds though.
Of course you do! Airwindos blows Waves out of water any day... and it's free!

I use channel4 (mostly API) on every channel on every track on every mix at 100% (watching carefully for the gain staging and the input at the plug-in) - it's just amazing.
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #83
mawi

Airwindows FX are very useless for me.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #84
Seldrums

Wow, Morfi!

Thanks for the Channel4 tip! Another Airwindows plugin that's headed for the favorites folder! Can't wait to try this technique on all my other current projects. Thanks!!!
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #85
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldrums View Post
Wow, Morfi!

Thanks for the Channel4 tip! Another Airwindows plugin that's headed for the favorites folder! Can't wait to try this technique on all my other current projects. Thanks!!!
Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #86
J Riley Hill

He has a number of FX that do things I've never seen any other plugin do. Those are my favorite of his:

Slew, Slew2 and Acceleration work on sound depending on the rate of change of the audio. Acceleration in particular is amazing. It can take an over head of a drummer who really bashes the cymbals and really soften it out wonderfully. Really easy to overdo, but can work wonders on overly harsh material. I use it on pretty much every session.

PowerSag is amazing for making things sound etc messed up and broken.
Capacitor is a neat filter.
Density is a unique and useful saturation algorithm. (really amazing on kick and snare in parallel)
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #87
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
He has a number of FX that do things I've never seen any other plugin do. Those are my favorite of his:

Slew, Slew2 and Acceleration work on sound depending on the rate of change of the audio. Acceleration in particular is amazing. It can take an over head of a drummer who really bashes the cymbals and really soften it out wonderfully. Really easy to overdo, but can work wonders on overly harsh material. I use it on pretty much every session.

PowerSag is amazing for making things sound etc messed up and broken.
Capacitor is a neat filter.
Density is a unique and useful saturation algorithm. (really amazing on kick and snare in parallel)
Density and Drive are very good, specially Density, for a "Sonnox Inflator-Like" effect to bring out tracks on a busy mix.
PowerSag gets used sometimes in mastering to create subtle stereo widening.
Very crazy plug-ins indeed!
Old 04-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #88
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
That's why I bookmarked that Google Document that describes each plugin. it was quite handy, but it looks like the author deleted it.

Anybody have a copy handy?
Copy is dated, Nov 28, 2018.
https://stash.reaper.fm/36090/Airwin...%20OFFLINE.zip

I used Tape5 on master of one project, so I guess thats my fav?

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-13-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: moved zip to stash
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #89
vdubreeze

Thank you, Edgemeal
Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #90
theMuzzl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
What do you mean by "broken" and "misbehaves"? Did you let Chris know about this?

It's rare that an AirWindows plug-in will work inappropriately inside REAPER. The ugly sounds I was getting out of ADCClip7 I just thought were normal...!

Lic. Ezequiel Morfi | TITANIO
Buenos Aires, Argentina
By broken and misbehaving, I mean that it does exactly what it has been built to do (well, at least the larger aspect of why I love it so much).

He does actively work out bugs, but they do get discovered from time to time. Some things don't get updated until second or later official releases of them are put out (we're still waiting for DitherFloat2, which might not be able to be FOSS).
theMuzzl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #91
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
By broken and misbehaving, I mean that it does exactly what it has been built to do (well, at least the larger aspect of why I love it so much).

He does actively work out bugs, but they do get discovered from time to time. Some things don't get updated until second or later official releases of them are put out (we're still waiting for DitherFloat2, which might not be able to be FOSS).
You're right, we're still waiting for DitherFloat2. We should poke Chris about it. I'm pretty sure it'll be FOSS too; Alexey Lukin was not meaning to profit from his input.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #92
Pinknoise

I have copy pasted all the description of the Air Windows plugins from the website uploaded here help yourself.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36136/Air%...s%20Manuals.7z
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #93
G-Sun

I see there's a lot of good documentation-stuff here.
Maybe you could get an agreement with Chris,
making better documentation, easy accessible.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #94
Pinknoise

Sounds like work...
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:27 AM   #95
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Sounds like work...
Yes
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #96
silksow

I only discovered Chris's work this year, incredible.

ToTape5 was my introduction to Airwindows. It was the end to my search for tape emulation and stays at the end of my 2buss before Event Horizon. First in that chain is Console6Buss.

I spent the better part of two days auditioning the many variations of Console, determined to figure out why so many people seemed to have way better ears than me, and gave up with renewed faith that people hear what they want to hear - Then Console6. Then the hair stood up on the back of my neck. His notes on that was the first time I'd ever seen mentioned that the other Consoles want you to peak at 0dBFS! So, maybe my ears aren't better than others now but I bet they will be in 10 years if people are mixing that hot lol

Anyway, at the moment, my default channels are MJUC > IVGI > AW FromTape > PTEq-X > AW PurestGain > Console6Channel, and I can't imagine wanting anything else on a channel and I never want to change

TIP: Console is not rocket science (well, the code kinda is). It's used exactly the same as NLS or VCC. It's actually simpler! Chris has screamed to the cold, dead stars for eternity telling people that it's not the end of the world if you don't have unity gain, if you just gotta use the fader or you put another bus/channel pair on an aux buss or whatever. It'll just give you a sound then - A SOUND! - instead of the mathematically perfect transparent summing which, I assure you, NLS and VCC aren't bringing to the table regardless of how you use them.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #97
vdubreeze

There's a gearslutz thread from a while back with a lot of useful info about the desks and consoles and a load of presets. I downloaded them and discovered it's easier, if the poster put the numbers in their post, to just take them from there rather than importing them.

Also some good info about what settings particular emulations call for.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...ac-pc-vst.html
Old 06-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #98
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
To be honest, I don't use them much. The plug names generally don't provide any clue as to the plugin function, and when running a mix session I don't have time to try them all out to find one that does what I'm looking for.

If you name plugins with things like "Aspirator" and "Respirator" (not real names, just examples), it becomes a total PITA to find what you want when you need it.

If you HAVE to have a strange cool sounding name, append the actual function to the title and the .DLL filename, like "Aspirator - Flatulence Noise Generator", or "Respirator - Add Wheezing Breath Effect", otherwise I won't bother with it generally.

To be fair, a lot of his plugins do have functional names, but many do not. I don't want to sound harsh on the dude. I do like the idea of plugins that do unique novel things that are otherwise impossible. But it's very much like a packing crate full of tools with no clues as to whether they're for carpentry, automobile repair, plumbing or masonry, if you get my drift.
I love Chris' work, but I have the same issue. This is why I've offered to make a PDF that has plugins organized by type, the description from his website, and a link to the YouTube video. That way, if you're looking for a particular tool, you can easily locate it, and glance at the descriptions until you find just what you need. The way it is now, it's organized on his site by release date, and the "what.txt" file that comes with the download doesn't tell you much at all. I think this would help his plugins get the use they deserve. Maybe if he gets several requests from the members of this forum, he'll take me up on the offer and send me the files I'd need to do it for him.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #99
Xaos

Chris released another gem. I mostly use his DeEss (the best de-esser ever) and Purestgain because, like other posters have pointed out, it's just too hard to figure out what they do from the names and the way they are organized. But this one is awesome!

http://www.airwindows.com/reseq-vst/

ResEQ uses some kind of genius psychoacoustic magic to cut out a bunch of frequency bands from a track in a way that the ear/brain recreate the sound, but the ResEQed track leaves space for other tracks to shine through. This is an amazing plugin. As he says in the description, you don't want to use it on tracks that are central to the song, like a vocal or bass track, but it's great for tracks that are there to thicken sound, like quadrupled guitar tracks or other mixing tricks that can clutter the frequency band.

This one's going into my Favorites folder and will get heavy use.

In the description, Chris says he hasn't even hit $1,500 a month on his Patreon. I really wish people would show him more support. I can't believe that, with all the people using his plugins, that's all he's making. I give all I can, but I'm disabled and all my work is done for a charity. I'll be able to donate more soon, but I know there are a lot of people out there that could easily add a couple bucks a month to their Patron donations. (Or start supporting if you don't already. Even a dollar a month from everyone who uses his plugins should easily triple that amount!)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #100
Xaos

Can you help me with a request that will be great for us all?

I've asked Chris if he would make a plugin that does what Sonarworks Reference tries to do but fails. The big problem with Reference is that all the corrective EQ curves are based on objective sound analysis and don't take the listener's hearing into account.

There is an online grey noise generator that does this. The only one used to be on mynoise.net here:
https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/gr...eGenerator.php

This is great because it takes the room, your equipment, and hearing into account when generating a true grey noise.

We need something similar for our monitors and headphones when mixing, but this is only 10 bands.

Christopher "Monty" Montgomery, the inventor of OGG and an acoustic genius, probably knows exactly which frequencies would be important based on the tuning of the hairs in the cochlea and how many bands would be needed to make an accurate calibration curve for each individual's hearing, room, equipment, etc. Chris Johnson could pretty easily write a plugin that would make the adjustments with the minimum of phase shifting, pre-ringing, and artifacts.

I'd really like to get a bunch of people from here, gearslutz, and similar communities to request this plugin an offer some financial support for it. Reference is a good idea, but they miss the mark in a lot of ways.

I think this would be an invaluable plugin and would really get Airwindows a lot of attention. Who wouldn't want this? Does anyone have any suggestions for organizing a campaign to request and fund this? We need it!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #101
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
This is great because it takes the room, your equipment, and hearing into account when generating a true grey noise.
While this would obviously be really cool, would it actually make a (positive) difference? I mean, if you're listening to music outside your studio, wouldn't this just be confusing? Having a "perfect" version of something that you listen to in your studio and then everywhere else, not only having speaker and room differences, but also another layer of differences on top of that?
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #102
SubbaseDnB

i have been planning to check out the Airwindows stuff,but havent gotten round to it yet,mostly due to that i think its hard to organise them by catogories
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #103
Judders

So, something occurred to me that might be of interest to Console fans...

Now that his code is open source, maybe it would be possible to create a multichannel VST of Console and Buss in one, so that all tracks could be sent on different audio channels to the plugin. I guess all you'd need would be an input and output slider, the rest would be black box. You could stick it on your master bus and this would mean it would process all tracks post-fader so you could still use all your REAPER mixer faders too...

You'd just have to create post-fader sends and disable master/parent sends on all tracks.

Am I on to something?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #104
bezusheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Am I on to something?
I posted an example of something similar in another thread...
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=52
Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 AM   #105
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
While this would obviously be really cool, would it actually make a (positive) difference? I mean, if you're listening to music outside your studio, wouldn't this just be confusing? Having a "perfect" version of something that you listen to in your studio and then everywhere else, not only having speaker and room differences, but also another layer of differences on top of that?
Yeah, it actually would make a positive difference. This is why people spend so much time and money treating their space, buying good monitors, and buying calibration software like Sonarworks Reference. Reference made a noticeable improvement to my mixes, both through monitors and headphones. By having the room and speakers calibrated, I had fewer things to fix after the "car test" and listening through home systems, those cruddy bluetooth speakers they sell now, and those total rubbish bluetooth earpods. But none of it accommodates idiosyncrasies in the engineer's hearing. If I have hearing loss at 13K in my left ear, so I'm constantly adding energy in that area, my mixes are going to sound too bright and out of balance to someone with better hearing in that area of the spectrum. This is the best way to make sure your equipment and ears are doing the least amount of unwanted colouring to the mix. This is the only thing out there that would compensate for the engineer's hearing as well as the room.

Not sure why you would think this would be confusing. We always listen to music in multiple spaces and through different systems before calling it finished. It's not confusing. It's called "testing". It's not that you're looking for "perfect", but you're wanting neutrality as a baseline. Plus, your brain automatically starts to make up for gaps in your hearing, out of balance sound, and blocks things it doesn't think are important or are overly loud. This is why breaks, listening to grey noise, and a well treated/calibrated room are so important. Your brain starts playing all kinds of tricks with your hearing.

I know a mastering engineer who has presets for his client's rooms that make corrections for the failings of the acoustic treatments. Some rooms will get a lot of build up around 160 Hz, for instance. Using well made, in-ear monitors and a calibration method like that described above is the most economical and precise foundation for a mix. A couple of guys I know who switched from standard monitors to good in-ear monitors swear by them. One of them was sold when he started hearing several little mistakes he was missing with his monitors on the project he was currently mixing and was able to go back and fix them. Ears4U make some great custom in-ear monitors with the audio engineer in mind. I'm saving up for my pair!

Now, if I could just get a few people to realize how valuable this plugin would be and start writing Chris about it, all will be well! I guess I'll try over at gearslutz. It's hard to believe so few people realise what a hugely valuable thing this would be. It sucks to be a visionary sometimes!

Last edited by Xaos; 06-26-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #106
Tiggerdyret

@Xaos&jay
Is this what you are looking for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPuZGxEdhg
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #107
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
If I have hearing loss at 13K in my left ear, so I'm constantly adding energy in that area, my mixes are going to sound too bright and out of balance to someone with better hearing in that area of the spectrum...

...Plus, your brain automatically starts to make up for gaps in your hearing, out of balance sound, and blocks things it doesn't think are important or are overly loud. This is why breaks, listening to grey noise, and a well treated/calibrated room are so important. Your brain starts playing all kinds of tricks with your hearing.
I get the room correction part, but, like you pointed out, if our brains get used to whatever we hear and treat that as "normal", then someone with hearing loss at 13k is going to be hearing signals with the correct amount of 13k as normal.

If they then trained their brain to hear a compensated amount of 13k as "normal", then whenever they'd listen to outside their studio (or without the plugin) would not sound right to them.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #108
morfi

New AirWindows plug-in just out... as every Sunday night! :O
Old 07-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #109
zookthespook

Thank you GSun for introducing me to this genius through this post. I have been watching his videos...loads goes over my head as not a geek of that level but it is fascinating that he has created plugins like voice trick with which you can used open ear headphone and record without headphone bleed if done properly . Chris is a genius of some sort. I intend to sign up his patreon account . And leave aside the plugins , his vlogs has some amazing insights through ramblings too. Going thorough his plugins now .
Regards
Zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #110
morfi

Welcome to the family...!

Chris is a (mad) genius indeed. Don't get lost in the overflow of plug-ins (as with all genius's work not ALL of them are that great either...). Enjoy!

Buenos Aires, Argentina.-
Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #111
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
Welcome to the family...!

Chris is a (mad) genius indeed. Don't get lost in the overflow of plug-ins (as with all genius's work not ALL of them are that great either...). Enjoy!

Buenos Aires, Argentina.-
haha true.. last night i just lost an hour watching him play his minecraft snowball mod ! blowing up pigs and zombies !
Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #112
crd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
So, something occurred to me that might be of interest to Console fans...

Now that his code is open source, maybe it would be possible to create a multichannel VST of Console and Buss in one, so that all tracks could be sent on different audio channels to the plugin. I guess all you'd need would be an input and output slider, the rest would be black box. You could stick it on your master bus and this would mean it would process all tracks post-fader so you could still use all your REAPER mixer faders too...

You'd just have to create post-fader sends and disable master/parent sends on all tracks.

Am I on to something?
Has anyone made something like this? That would be really handy.
crd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #113
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
Has anyone made something like this? That would be really handy.
This would be a game changer. Is this even possible?
Old 07-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #114
vsgrt

I haven't ventured too deep into that rabbit hole but the list below are what i use regularly:

Capacitor is an interesting LP/HP filter with dry/wet. Very natural sounding. Sounds very good and unlike any filter i have. Sometimes leaves a 14k peak however (part of the design more than a bug according to Chris).

ToTape5 is another very good one. Fairly subtle (on most material) high end tape emulation. Sounds as good as the best out there (if not better). Tip: for best results don't touch the Fatter-slider and don't let Flutter get past ~0.4. If ToTape5 is too subtle, check out IronOxide5 for more intense lo-fi tape slam. Use FromTape if ToTape5 is not subtle enough.

Acceleration - Excellent for calming treble in a pleasing way (unless pushed too hard). I use this on anything with a sharp bright edge.

DeRez2 - A replacement for my favorite bitcrusher d16 Decimort. Great at getting that crunchy digital 90s sound.

Spiral2 - Distortion. Good.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #115
zookthespook

Air windows Bit glitter
Air windows Block party
Air windows Chorus
Air windows Cojones
Air windows Cstrip
Air windows Deckwrecka

The fidelity is top notch .. the bit glitter allows you to almost tune cursh tone !

amazing stuff
Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #116
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
Tip: for best results don't touch the Fatter-slider
What?! Unless of course you WANT SOMETHING FATTER! I touch that knob more than I touch my own knob. It's the perfect bass and kick fatter-upper. You can use it after a high pass to fix boomy low end. You can even add a fat booty to a high hat with this knob if you want.

Touch it...TOUCH IT!!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #117
silksow

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Touch it...TOUCH IT!!
+1 HEAD BUMP, BABY
Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #118
puddi

He makes so many different-but-same plugins that I'm not keeping up anymore.

"Here's SlimConsole61 which is PhatConsole52 without the Phat"

I like Acceleration though.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #119
bladerunner

ToTape5 is one I use regularly. Acceleration is excellent for smoothing out harshness. I sometimes use Console4 too. There's nothing else out there like Chris's plugins.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #120
jazznfunk

Seems like Chris is starting using Reaper in his latest plugin videos
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote