Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
mbuster
Human being with feelings

Default "Bundle" save?

This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to save a project as a "bundle", ala SONAR? In other words, saving the project with all associated audio files as a single entity?
mbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Lawrence

I've wondered the same. Sort of an "archive" function that will collect and save everything required for the project to a single folder.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
manning1

its v easy to do.
make sure you do the following BEFORE you start a new song.
JUST BASIC HOUSEKEEPING.
1. right clik in windows n select new folder.
2. right clik over new folder n rename it to your song name.
3. boot up reaper....n in the project specify the folder u just named. and save as to the same folder under FILE....
and give the rpp the song name.
(now if u look in the folder if youve done it right youll see the little reaper icon.....youll also see the song name at the top of your reaper tracks screen.)
4. start recording n all your work will be saved to the folder you set up.
5. if running two drives....ie..C for windows and D for recording to. record to D and have your song folders on D.
then every now and again copy the song folders to C
for back up purposes.
i also back up to usb pen drives n dvd.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
aldi

just open the "save as" function. select "copy all media to project directory". you can also chose "trim media" to crop down all wave and midi data to what is actually active in your project.

after that you'll have a folder with all needed in it, that you can either go working on further with it or simply zip it to archiv.
aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Lawrence

Thanks Aldi. That addresses the external files that I believe were at the heart of the original question. Rather than just shouting BASIC HOUSEKEEPING...

BTW Manning1... you can do all that from within Reaper in the Project Settings, navigate to a place and make a new folder (if you want) for your project before you start recording, so your first 2 instructions are really unnecesary. Thanks anyway.

Aldi, I also see the "Move Into Project Directory" option. Have you used that? The reason I ask is it seems that it might be way to pull external files into the original directory by creating a new project (*.rpp) in that original working directory. Or even overwriting the same project and checking the "Move" option?

I suppose it would just ignore the files already there and just pull in any external files? I'll try it to see.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-10-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
aldi

that will work as you think it should. but take attention, after moving files they are not at their original possitions anymore. i would chose the copy methode so no danger to accidently destroy other projects or your sample librarys.
aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
James HE

Also it may be a good idea to clean up the unused files that are still in the project directory before saving as into a new folder.

It's under file - near the bottom. "Clean current project Directory."

This will open up a window that lists all the stuff that's been abandoned. From here you can select what exactly you want to not include in the directory.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Thanks Aldi. That addresses the external files that I believe were at the heart of the original question. Rather than just shouting BASIC HOUSEKEEPING...
Nevertheless, it's still good advice
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
manning1

lawrence...
i see your point, but i prefer my method prior to starting a new song as its foolproof ive found.
i guess i got used to it from earlier reaper versions last year before certain features were added.
ive always done the same in other daw software as well.
it just works well for me.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Lawrence

I tried the "Save As" on a project with an external file while checking the "Move Media" option and just saving the same project with the same project name.

Obviously you get the "Are you sure you want to overwrite?" dialog but it works fine, ignoring the files already there and pulling in the external file(s).

Cool.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
5. if running two drives....ie..C for windows and D for recording to. record to D and have your song folders on D.
then every now and again copy the song folders to C
for back up purposes.
i also back up to usb pen drives n dvd.
That is good advice Manning, especially the last part.

Suggestion: Always back up your projects to external drives if possible. If your root drive partition (C:\) gets corrupted it's sometimes difficult or impossible (not always) to recover the other partitions.

Backing up to usb / pen / DVD is VERY good advice. Besides, as Manning's post suggests, data doesn't really exist at all unless it exists in 3 seperate physical locations.

It's all just an illusion...

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-10-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
vocalnick

I remember when I first got into recording digitally (mid 90s I guess it was), I had a 2GB hard drive for audio (1GB system), and I was trying to work on a 40 minute demo CD. I went through a lot of CDRs just shuttling projects back and forth on and off the drive to work on them!

It was sort of an "auto backup" process as well, which was nice :P
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
Lawrence

I use a 500gig usb drive for backups. Before mixing (actually right after the tracking session) I archive the session to that drive.

After final mixing I archive to that drive again writing over / or deleting the previous pre-mix backup data beforehand. Then, using whatever takes / tracks are being used in the mix, I backup to another sub folder in that same folder with contiguous files, basic future proofing.

Then finally... I burn that backup folder (with both session and contiguous files) to CD/DVD, error check it, and store it somewhere safe. Anything less would be foolish for me at $40 an hour, if I "lose" a session I'd have to do another for free.

This housekeeping operation takes about 30 minutes or a little more if the client wants a DVD safety master of his own.

Off the clock of course.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-10-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
Bevosss

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...

I remember reading recently certain external media/samples have to be glued when added to be included in the project folder...a bit sketchy on the details, possibly using multi-instrument samplers. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Tallisman

wouldn't t be wonderful if Reaper asked you for a file/song name and location/folder name the moment you hit new project? And, wouldn't it be killer if the moment you hit save, Reaper created a small hierarchy within in that folder that included: Autosave (where back up .rpps were saved; AUDIO (where audio files are located); PeakFiles (yup, you guessed it); Midi; and assets?

I'd love reaper to do that, and make all appropriate links to the folders for each project as default.

:d

t.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
Bevosss

Quote:
wouldn't t be wonderful if Reaper asked you for a file/song name and location/folder name the moment you hit new project
Prefs-Project-Prompt to save on new project
Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldi View Post
that will work as you think it should. but take attention, after moving files they are not at their original possitions anymore. i would chose the copy methode so no danger to accidently destroy other projects or your sample librarys.
When you say "not at their original positions" what do you mean?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
wouldn't t be wonderful if Reaper asked you for a file/song name and location/folder name the moment you hit new project?
I think you can do this part already.

See Options>prefs>project>prompt to save on new project(tick box)

DOH! speedy Bevosss beats me to it

Last edited by dungbeetle; 04-10-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Too slow!
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #19
Lawrence

There does seem to be a need for some organization there in the project directory instead of having everything in the same root top level folder.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-10-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #20
Diogenes

Quote:

Thanks.
Move means... err... move. As in take from here and send to there. Be careful you don't move a file or files and then go back later to find them gone from their original location. i.e. C:\Drumsamples\mega_mondo_verby_snare.wav might be moved elsewhere...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #21
Bevosss

Quote:

Thanks.
If other projects are using media from that location and you 'move' them rather than copy them, there could be a problem with the other project not finding those files where it expects to.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #22
Tallisman

You guys have made my day!
I am a more on with less effective!
Don't know how I could have missed that preference setting (not sure why it isn't the default!

This has made me happy

the simple things.

thanks

t.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #23
Lawrence

Quote:
Move means... err... move. As in take from here and send to there. Be careful you don't move a file or files and then go back later to find them gone ...
Oh yeah, I know the actual file will move if you select "Move to.." instead of "Copy to.." The "Move to Project Directory" option is pretty self explanatory... cut and paste... (or copy and delete) ... move. Duh...

Which is why when he added...

Quote:
"Be aware that the files will not be at their original positions..."
I thought maybe he was talking about something else that I might want to be aware of like a part in the project shifting (moving) to a new POSITION on the timeline in the song due to a bug or something. Just wanted to make sure.

"Position" is not a term I've ever heard used in description of a file "location" on a hard disk. But... if I'd read his post correctly (which I didn't) I'd have known exactly what he meant.

And here we are...

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
Diogenes

I remember way back in the old DOS days when I was learning PC stuff. I found out how 'MOVE' differed from 'COPY' the HARD way!

DOS 2.1 I think it was... bah! Don't miss it a bit!

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #25
Bevosss

Quote:
"Position" is not a term I've ever heard used in description of a file "location" on a hard disk. But... if I'd read his post correctly (which I didn't) I'd have known exactly what he meant.
Ahhh, it pays to remember we have a few users for whom English is not their first language...some of our smarter ones actually.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #26
JPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
wouldn't t be wonderful if Reaper asked you for a file/song name and location/folder name the moment you hit new project? And, wouldn't it be killer if the moment you hit save, Reaper created a small hierarchy within in that folder that included: Autosave (where back up .rpps were saved; AUDIO (where audio files are located); PeakFiles (yup, you guessed it); Midi; and assets?
It would be wonderful if you would actually learn what the program can do, before you go making feature requests for features that are already implemented.
JPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #27
Gerry G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV View Post
It would be wonderful if you would actually learn what the program can do, before you go making feature requests for features that are already implemented.

Yea JPV (Justice of the Peace Veritas?) however Reaper be such a layered chasm few know of its depths save the JCs of this world.

Is it not the favourite saying of Art that 'it is in there'?
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote