Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #401
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
While you do have a point here it can also be inspirational to play with a number of different synths
I do agree, but 'getting inspired' and 'producing a composition' have not been one and the same thing in my experience. I'm still looking back at my hardware days when I was so much more productive, both in quantity and in quality.

My last hardware setup consisted of a DX7, DX100, ESQ-1 and a K1rII. Those synths together covered such a wide sonic range that I didn't need anything else (the DX100 was simply expanding the FM-parts as those synths where mono-timbral). It also means I had such a deep understanding of these synths that I could get anything I wanted from them (withing their sonic range of course). I once had a discussion with Robert Jan Stips (of Supersister fame) who was demoing for PPG, that I could get a certain PPG-sound quite closely from a DX7. When I came home from the show I programmed it right away just to prove him wrong (he thought it couldn't be done), took me just about an hour to do it. I must add to this that I actually had formal training in FM-programming (loooooooong ago)

Back in those days I got inspiration from playing with synths I didn't own myself, in shops and on sales-shows. Then when I came back home it was fun AND instructional to try and get those sounds from my own gear.

I'm limiting myself because I really want to get that experience back

Quote:
Oh & since you quoted me slightly out of context earlier here it is right back at you with bells on.
Aaaaaahhh.... you will burn in hell for that one...

technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #402
mtsproductions

Quote:
Sorry my love i will play with your keys eventually for now i will be playing with this beast

[IMG]http://img689.**************/img689/6549/viirus.jpg[/IMG]

http://img689.**************/img689/6549/viirus.jpg
Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #403
EpicSounds

I got Novation V-Station free after buying a Nocturn Keyboard and it's become one of my favorite synths, maybe tied with Z3ta+(PC only ) or Hybrid (PT only ).
Its a lot of fun to play once you've set up Automap with it.

If Z3TA+ is still $20 definitely grab that!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #404
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
Sorry my love i will play with your keys eventually for now i will be playing with this beast

[IMG]http://img689.**************/img689/6549/viirus.jpg[/IMG]

http://img689.**************/img689/6549/viirus.jpg
AAhhh....So you went for the Access Virus. I hope you enjoy your new toy. I've still got my mind set on the Woldorf Blofeld but I also have my eye on this:

Roland Gaia

Has anyone got this or tried it out yet?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #405
technogremlin

Quote:
Has anyone got this or tried it out yet?
I've been looking to that one myself... but I try to resist the urge to get back into hardware synths. For now I have another new toy and it's a (of course free) VSTi, and it sounds totally amazing:

Definitely NOT an all-rounder (it's a physical modeling synthesizer) but very inexpensive (as in FREE!)

Grab it here: http://krakli.com/krakli-free-synths/
Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #406
rictheobscene

I tried some Krakli offerings around 4 years ago. If I recall correctly they were made with Synthedit and grossly inefficient with resource usage.

Have they improved in this area?
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #407
technogremlin

They are still a bit heavy on CPU load, but take into consideration that they are doing special things instead of 'simple' substractive synthesis. And there are several plugs that use quite a bit more CPU. RMXL uses about the same load as Tal Elec7ro, so I would say it's acceptable.

Because of the incredible sound of RMXL I can live with it
Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #408
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
They are still a bit heavy on CPU load, but take into consideration that they are doing special things instead of 'simple' substractive synthesis. And there are several plugs that use quite a bit more CPU. RMXL uses about the same load as Tal Elec7ro, so I would say it's acceptable.

Because of the incredible sound of RMXL I can live with it
Well, it does sound like they have made tremendous strides in that regard and might be worth another look. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #409
mtsproductions

Peevy:
I still got my mind set on the blofeld and i will be saving up for it
but i just couldnt pass on this deal and Iam glad i got it.
Right from the start when i first plugged the virus in i was impressed with the sound and iam not talking about the excitment over a new toy either this thing does not sound like a modeled digital synth it sounds more analog than anything i ever owned from yamaha to korg to roland even the simple saw patch sounds amazingly warm an lush.
I compared the saw patches with the virus and zeta+, you dont have to have years of ear training to hear the obvious difference.

Peevy:
I have played around on the roland GAIA SH-01 and its a fun synth pretty easy to tweak and straight forward. I would compare it to the mikrokorg as far as the sound goes minus the vocoder. Honestly I am not a fan of Roland synths I think they are overpriced but do sound good in most cases, having said that though you might want to take a look at the Roland V-synth the original, you can get one on ebay for the same price as the SH-01
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #410
Peevy

Quote:
Peevy:
but i just couldnt pass on this deal and Iam glad i got it.
Right from the start when i first plugged the virus in i was impressed with the sound and iam not talking about the excitment over a new toy either this thing does not sound like a modeled digital synth it sounds more analog than anything i ever owned from yamaha to korg to roland even the simple saw patch sounds amazingly warm an lush.
I compared the saw patches with the virus and zeta+, you dont have to have years of ear training to hear the obvious difference.

Peevy:
I have played around on the roland GAIA SH-01 and its a fun synth pretty easy to tweak and straight forward. I would compare it to the mikrokorg as far as the sound goes minus the vocoder. Honestly I am not a fan of Roland synths I think they are overpriced but do sound good in most cases, having said that though you might want to take a look at the Roland V-synth the original, you can get one on ebay for the same price as the SH-01
I think the GAIA SH-01 seems like a really good synth, key features being:

*three virtual analogue engines onboard, each with a dedicated oscillator, filter, amplifier, envelope, and LFO

*Layer up to five simultaneous effects, including distortion, flanger, delay, reverb, low boost, and more

*64-voice polyphony

And the Optical D Beam that allows you to control pitch, modulation, Volume etc. with your hand like you would a theramin.

I still think I actually prefer the Waldorf Blofeld & its minimalist controls over the GAIA plus I think it might have the edge over the GAIA in sound quality & design as well.

I just thought I'd share my interest in the Roland GAIA here & see what some of you thought. Unfortunately as I stated before I don't have a half decent Music Store near by to check these synths out myself.

Quote:
Peevy:
I'm hoping to have one for Christmas, I've already posted my list to Santa so....fingers crossed
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #411
Peevy

Default Waldorf Blofeld Buggy ??

One thing that worries me about the Waldorf Blofeld is I've read on a few sites that it can be a bit buggy at times. I don't know if this applies to the keyboard, desktop or both.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #412
Peevy

Default AAS Tassman on Sale!

http://www.applied-acoustics.com/tassman/overview/

AAS are selling the modular Synth Tassman for $99 until the end of July. Its normally priced at $349 so I'd say this is a bargain.

I know zappadave from the forum here bought it recently & was very happy with it. I'm trying to fight the urge to check out the demo.....SYNTH OVERLOAD!!!.....MUST RESIST!!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #413
rictheobscene

Quote:

http://www.applied-acoustics.com/tassman/overview/

AAS are selling the modular Synth Tassman for $99 until the end of July. Its normally priced at $349 so I'd say this is a bargain.

I know zappadave from the forum here bought it recently & was very happy with it. I'm trying to fight the urge to check out the demo.....SYNTH OVERLOAD!!!.....MUST RESIST!!
AAS are some world-class douche bags to deal with. The C & R response system they use is antiquidated at best. I dropped them like a bad habit and have not looked back.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #414
conrico

Quote:
Let me throw a couple more in, just for giggles.

Audioxygen Gemini http://www.audioxygen.com/ not bad at all for $25
Nice synth indeed! Very little programming/tweaking needed to get freaked out sounds.

Included presets are very good too imo.

Cheers
Conrico
conrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #415
mtsproductions

bumpppage

Curious if there are any Reaktor pro users here, this thing is way too complicated for me, maybee some tutorials?

Evil Dragon?
techno gremlin?
pevey?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #416
technogremlin

Quote:
techno gremlin?
Nope, I'm only doing freeware so no Reaktor here
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #417
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Nope, I'm only doing freeware so no Reaktor here
sheesh you and your freeware that does nothing for me!! thanks for the "nothing"
Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #418
technogremlin

Quote:
sheesh you and your freeware that does nothing for me!! thanks for the "nothing"
Oh, but you are very welcome

Seriously though, I have official licenses for quite a bit of commercial gear (several bought and a pile of NFR licenses for beta-testing and writing professional reviews over the years) but never got my hands on Reaktor. I did have a payed of Sync Modular, the big competitor of Reaktor until Dr. Sync was hired by NI. Sync Modular is of course now freeware

As Sync Modular is 'kinda' like Reaktor I can say this: the real power in using such a system is in going deep. There is where something like Reaktor really shines, doing things that a 'normal' synth can't do. The only other thing is to load up pre-made ensembles and (to me) that is pretty much the same as loading up VSTi-instruments.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #419
mtsproductions

well something weired is going on i can load prism into it and go through the presets but loading an ensemble wont produce any sound, i guess i just hafta dig into to the manual..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #420
joesacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
My two favorite synths are Lennar Digital Sylenth 1 and NI Absynth 5. They are both great and will keep you busy for years.
Thumbs up for Sylenth.
joesacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #421
Link0126

IMO, Zebra is the way to go. I wouldn't judge it based on an hour or two or even a day demoing it. It's such a deep synth and something you can grow into. I mean what CAN'T it do? Also, for all it's complicated depth it makes it really easy to do certain things. For instance, you can detune up to 11 waves with only one OSC! You don't even need to patch in another oscillator. I think the sound quality is top notch, but maybe that's just me.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote