Old 10-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #81
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Akoustic: I like the Radar theme, the darker non-eye fatiguing nature of it, and the "just enough color to not be monochrome/First Gen Mac"...
My only quibble is that the mute/solo buttons need to be a touch more eye grabbing when off, because they're used so much in such a quick "grabby" manner.

What I'm thinking is that either the type needs to be sharp (while keeping the blurry portraiture or the outline of the button), or maybe they could have a touch of "faded/off/"colored frosted glass button over an indicator light" effect.

The rest are great, I love how visible the "on" status of the buttons are without being too distracting.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #82
akoustic

thanks 4 the input on those mute & solo buttons... had another look at it and decided to take the black border away and add a highlight plus slight rounding of button edge... seems 2 fit better with the theme.

All 3 theme packs including Radar update:

http://stashbox.org/1621/Akoustic+Reaper+Themes.rar

Icepack

Radar

Standard

Last edited by akoustic; 10-15-2006 at 09:40 PM.
akoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #83
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic
decided to take the black border away and add a highlight plus slight rounding of button edge...
Cool, looks good...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #84
Youn

I really like the new IcePack, I also like the Radar version. I'm surprised you haven't done anything with the faders though, but of course they do look fine as-is.
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #85
akoustic

the faders seemed ok at the time... they quite close to analog faders - i was tempted to change the design but ended up doing a very slight cleanup plus making them a touch smaller.

It would great to eventually have total skin control over the UI plus the ability to x,y position icons, resize meters & do gradient map backgrounds... so long as performance & stability remained in tact.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #86
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

I think i am using the last Akoustic themes, and this nice icon misses me (i liked it better than the "green fat arrow" wxe have now... ).
Is it available in another theme ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #87
akoustic

managed to find those folder icons... these were done for the standard theme if i remember correctly - you may need to alter brightness for radar & icepack to get the right contrast.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1987/Folder+Icons.rar

edit: new folder icons should be blue... wondering if the new gradients are changing things - unfortunately for some weird reason i cannot load Reaper past v1.20 on this graphics box to check the new UI... the audio OS has no graphics software on it so tweaking these would be a real ballbreak but i'm sure a few brightness tweaks to those should work just fine

Last edited by akoustic; 10-19-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #88
sinkmusic

thank you senor !
Old 10-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #89
stelzbock

Hey,

again nice work!

I prefer the icepack theme. But I have some suggestions for you.

- I can't say why, but IMHO the green of the FX and of the markers doesn't fit to this theme... You may consider another color... The Orange of the mute is pretty cool.

- I like the Idea of these ankles to show the beginning and end of a folder. But the arrow of the closing one doesn't make sense.. Maybe you also take an ankle...

- I really LOVE the design of the m, s and phase buttons. So simple but nice and clear.

- The FX button should be designed in the same ways like m, s...

- Especially the toolbar buttons and the transport don't fit to the rest of this theme. You should pick up the idea of the m, s buttons again an transfer the basic design into these toolbar buttons. What I mean is the transparent effect... the lines are black/dark grey and there is a soft shadow.

I hope this was a little help to you. I really appreciate your work, nice!

Jan

Stelzbock @ myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/stealthmusic
gear/sw:
Reaper, FLStudio, ProjectMix I/O, KRK RP5, Sp B1 Mic, some Intruments
PC: Athlon XP 2,4+, 1,5GB RAM, Matrox Dual Head
stelzbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #90
akoustic

Stelzbock,

thank for your suggestions... very helpful

- the green fx icon... a button similar to the m/s could work but im not sure about changing colour for every theme since i regard this as important as the m/s which should be standard... guess it could be any colour but green seemed to be the easiest to recognise at a quick glance... will still check it out though.

- markers... just used the most complimentary colours against the timeline font colour. Some of the other colours didnt work 2 well with the font colour.

- folder angles +1 ... i think thats gonna work by making the end folder a reverse of the track folder icon.

- the toolbar buttons... i kept them un-buttoned as these are used mainly for general workflow and not used as frequently as m/s.

- transport buttons... it would be nice to have the transport buttons similar to the m/s as you suggested but 16x16 is way to small for this. IMO transport button should be bold and make a statement, not 16x16 icons spaced apart (theres enough space there for this). They could be larger edge to edge buttons similar to analog style.

50c to add...

There are many other things like the meters and so on which could look so much better. The UI in general is very usable but IMO does not give Reaper a signature look yet.

My personal preference would be to have as few buttons as possible with the panels seperated by styled relief... have at least 3 different icon sizes, i.e. 32x32 for transport 24x24 for commonly used buttons and 16x16 for minor or compact versions of the mixer etc. The gradients are cool but sometimes i prefer a simpler look with attention to styled lines. I could do a mockup but it wont be of much use since it cannot be ported and may end up being completely disfunctional from a coding point of view... & take time

IMO 1st prize with resources at hand, would be at least 3-4months of UI mockups done in within the possible coding parameters givin (possibly reviewed & polled) before deciding on a look.

Reaper is not my primary app but for now the UI is more than enough for my workflow needs, even if its a little rough around the edges. In terms of competition with the other big players, it still has a way to go, (UI, MIDI & PostP features)... & that would be up to J & C's vision - they would need to compete on all fronts including UI, if those are the markets they interested in... but from what i have read Justin has an unorthodox approach which may lead into new uncharted territory.

edit: Stelz.. just thought of a different way to do the FX icons - will try find some time this week to try it out

Last edited by akoustic; 10-25-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #91
Odin

For my taste, the activated buttons are not bright enough, the difference between enabled/disabled is to weak.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #92
chip mcdonald

I agree with Odin, I was dropping in here to say it'd be nice to have the record arm indicator brighter/more flourescent (as well as the record button itself)..
Old 12-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #93
akoustic

Default Induction theme plus updates

Here's the new Induction theme i been working on & also in the spirit of giving at this festive time

This theme with a minimalist approach but buttoned up in the on state. Included are all 4 theme packs with metronome icons and a few project icons that were updated.

There are a few changes i decided to implement across all packs, such as the infamous 3.5" disk for save... just cant seem to get away from that 1

Here are all 4 themes updated including the new 1
- enjoy

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/6762/ak...heme_packs.rar

For those unfamiliar with the proceedures of installing these icons, just unzip or unRAR to a temporary folder and overwrite the previous akoustic themes in [drive]:\Program Files\REAPER\ColorThemes - as for the gradient settings, just have a peek at the sample pic which has it displayed.

* if you want to keep any custom colour settings, then overwrite only the icon folders
Old 12-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #94
malcolmj

Thanks Akoustic, I love your themes.

Not sure about the icon you've chosen for FX in the new Induction theme - it looks like a Phase button to me.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #95
teej813

hey, akoustic. I'm anxious to see your updated themes. Very nice work.

.RAR, huh? Would you mind uploading a zip version? Many of us don't own WinRAR.

tj
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #96
sinkmusic

Since some time, i have been trying to create a dark/grey/beige theme, with no luck.
Iam rather sure that if Akoustic tried, it woudl be a successs.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #97
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej813 View Post
hey, akoustic. I'm anxious to see your updated themes. Very nice work.

.RAR, huh? Would you mind uploading a zip version? Many of us don't own WinRAR.

tj

Hey Teej,

Grab ALZip from http://www.altools.net/ALTools/ALZip...3/Default.aspx

It is a freebie and handles tons of file types.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #98
teej813

Excellent! Thanks, Dio!

tj
Old 12-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #99
sinkmusic

same with Izarc or 7zip.
It is free & opens .zip, rar, and even the mac format .sit.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #100
stelzbock

Hey, I really like the induction theme. The track bar icons look really nice.

But like all of your themes, there are some problems with the tool and transport bar.

Toolbar: The icons should be more consistent. The file icons are lines, the arrows are filled solid, then some orange... I really like the thin file icons, maybe you should try to align the others.

Transport bar:
Hmm, I can't really say why, but I don't like them at all... Especially the play, record buttons... Maybe you should try the standard icons like the triangle play button and a circle for record.

The automation and loop icons are too thin and detailed compared to the massive icons.

Jan

Stelzbock @ myspace:
gear/sw:
Old 12-10-2006, 05:06 AM   #101
Eli

Default Induction theme

Thanks Akoustic, very nice!

I really like that 3D relief look.
The contrast between the on /off state is very pleasant, clear and easy to work with.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #102
teej813

Nice, Akoustic. I especially like the new, round phase and recarm buttons in the Induction theme. Actually, i'd like to see you change the mute & solo buttons to circles as well, if possible. It would add continuity to the theme.

Nice work, bud.

tj
Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #103
Solar

Default Induction ROCKS!!!

Hello Akoustic!

I'm a fun of your work!! Rock solid and you can feel that in the Induction Pack, you already bringing a New Vibe to the next generation of Reaper 2.0 i'm sure. Great and excellent job. One thing for sure, i must admit that i was expecting a bit more concering the Trasnport bar and Side Menu )where there is the bottons OPEN-SAVE-Routing -FX etc... but besides that man ROCK SOLID!!

Thanx for sharing!

Appreciate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic View Post
Here's the new Induction theme i been working on & also in the spirit of giving at this festive time

This theme with a minimalist approach but buttoned up in the on state. Included are all 4 theme packs with metronome icons and a few project icons that were updated.

There are a few changes i decided to implement across all packs, such as the infamous 3.5" disk for save... just cant seem to get away from that 1

Here are all 4 themes updated including the new 1
- enjoy

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/6762/ak...heme_packs.rar

For those unfamiliar with the proceedures of installing these icons, just unzip or unRAR to a temporary folder and overwrite the previous akoustic themes in [drive]:\Program Files\REAPER\ColorThemes - as for the gradient settings, just have a peek at the sample pic which has it displayed.

* if you want to keep any custom colour settings, then overwrite only the icon folders
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #104
akoustic

thanks for all the generous comments & observations

I'm not quite sure how many still use these themes but to answer a few questions...

malcolmj - Replaced the "fx" text with what i thought to be the most effective symbol.. basically wanted to keep this theme more symbol & buttoned, as it seemed most users like the glo-button look.

sinkmusic - Dont think i will be tackling a beige theme unless i get some new motif that inspires.

stelzbock - Presently the transport icon sizes are really too small to do anything fancy with. For the most part i really do appreciate compact 16x16 icons for large projects but if you looking for a Samp/SX/PT type transport bar, then 24x24 is required, probably even more... vector icons would be real cool. The Toolbar line icons are probably my favorite but for the active icons, i decided to make em solid with colour added for on state.

teej813 - The round & square emboss are intentional, as i found it was much easier to navigate, especially in the off state... one of the things i really like about the PT mixer is its clear and simple design and tried to introduce a bit of that but Reapers meters still too big to emulate that correctly.

Solar - Transport icon size is really the main reason why i stick with these. I think the next real step for Reapers UI will be when icons can be positioned and relief mapping/textures applied. There's just such a diversity in taste, that its almost impossible to find a middle ground.

- thanks once again for the suggestions... they always noted for any new themes i'm trying out
Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #105
Paul

Quote:
thanks for all the generous comments & observations

I'm not quite sure how many still use these themes but to answer a few questions...

malcolmj - Replaced the "fx" text with what i thought to be the most effective symbol.. basically wanted to keep this theme more symbol & buttoned, as it seemed most users like the glo-button look.

sinkmusic - Dont think i will be tackling a beige theme unless i get some new motif that inspires.

stelzbock - Presently the transport icon sizes are really too small to do anything fancy with. For the most part i really do appreciate compact 16x16 icons for large projects but if you looking for a Samp/SX/PT type transport bar, then 24x24 is required, probably even more... vector icons would be real cool. The Toolbar line icons are probably my favorite but for the active icons, i decided to make em solid with colour added for on state.

teej813 - The round & square emboss are intentional, as i found it was much easier to navigate, especially in the off state... one of the things i really like about the PT mixer is its clear and simple design and tried to introduce a bit of that but Reapers meters still too big to emulate that correctly.

Solar - Transport icon size is really the main reason why i stick with these. I think the next real step for Reapers UI will be when icons can be positioned and relief mapping/textures applied. There's just such a diversity in taste, that its almost impossible to find a middle ground.

- thanks once again for the suggestions... they always noted for any new themes i'm trying out
Hello there,

Just had a fiddle with the new 1.49 release (probably 1.75 by the time I've finished typing!)and the 'induction' theme is fantastic. if this is not the default then may I have first shout and recommend it be so?

Only one little quibble from me.... can the record button have a nice circle on it instead of the arrow so my tiny little brain doesn't get confused??!!!

Most appreciated sir, as is all the work by the lovely Cockos folk. Lovely x

Paul

PS: Oh... and when you get a sec, perhaps a new logo and icon would be nice!! (Lovely software but the icon and splash look like 80's rock.... best avoided at all costs!)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #106
akoustic

hi Paul,

Makes good sense to me.. will try out a few ideas on that record button

- the Reaper name & logo ? .. well, thats gonna open up a whole can of worms... just look at the thread in the main discussion area.

Personally i think it should have been done a little different... it's nice to give the main fatcat industry the middle finger from time to time but R.E.A.P.E.R definitly could benefit from a better image in terms of name, logo & plugin, especially for the mass market.

The fact is Justin & the team could literally call it just about anything they wanted & most people would use it because its so damn good.... well, there's your middle finger and who better than AOL's `golden boy` to teach the bloat corporates in DAW how it should be done... and in such a humble way 2.

This is really without a doubt, the most unbelievable audio app developed in such a short timeframe, plus it's being ported for MAC... it has to be pinging a few companies, especially the ones making such a big deal out of general updates, normally taking so long & taking your $$$'s in the process.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #107
scum

you are doing great job , mr.Acoustic!
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #108
akoustic

A minor update to the induction theme with the new record icon plus an outline version of transport & some project icons for fun. Just mix n match by overwriting the appropriate icons with the ones you prefer.

The colour themes are exactly the same as the previous version but included for good measure along with the new icons

download themes:
#1 - https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/7353/ak...uctionless.rar
#2 - https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/7354/ak...ion_update.rar
Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #109
Solar

Default Gracias!!

Quote:
A minor update to the induction theme with the new record icon plus an outline version of transport & some project icons for fun. Just mix n match by overwriting the appropriate icons with the ones you prefer.

The colour themes are exactly the same as the previous version but included for good measure along with the new icons

download themes:
#1 - https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/7353/ak...uctionless.rar
#2 - https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/7354/ak...ion_update.rar
Always appreciated Akoustic!! Great job!! Love it.. hope one day you will have the time to come up with the NEw Samplitude/Sequoia look... Gracias!
Old 12-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #110
stelzbock

Quote:

Verrrrry nice, my friend

Stelzbock @ myspace:
gear/sw:
Old 12-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #111
lemmy

Hi,
Nice looking theme.

A couple of (constructive!) criticisms - the mute / solo / phase / fx buttons look as though they are pushed down when they are off. Then, when mute is activated ( in your pic above ) it seems to be raised up. This is non-intuitive for me, and confusing. I would prefer if buttons were "flat" or slightly raised when off, and down when on.
Use of colour in the icons at the top seems inconsistent.
Like others I'm not a fan of these transport controls... I prefer a button look and feel for the transport. I like consistency throughout the GUI - ie. choose one metaphor and stick with it.

Anyway, nice colours, good work, hope you'll keep developing the themes.
lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #112
akoustic

Default Matrix Theme

To wrap up the year & personal celebration, i thought it fitting to post a Matrix theme before it gets lost in the woodwork... this will be last for a while, as its time to be making music not icons.

The hours spent have been fun but as all the icon making folks know, it takes a bunch of hours to make these which can be hard to justify - so getting back to basics & my love of music.

Matrix close-up:

Matrix screenshot:

Theme packs (including previous updates):

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/7681/ak...me_updates.rar

- wishing you all a happening festive season filled with much love & joy

Last edited by akoustic; 12-20-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #113
Solar

Default Damn damn damn!!

Thats it Akoustic!! This is the shizzle of THEME... i LOOOOOOOOOOVE IT.. great job and wish you a Merry Xmas and best YEar 07. All the best!! Thanx for your time man and too everyone here.. Cheers!!

PS. By the way , the link ain't working?

Last edited by Solar; 12-20-2006 at 07:59 PM. Reason: adding
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #114
akoustic

thanks Solar and also for pointing out the link being suspect... think there were a few characters in there that confused the stashbox upload
Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #115
malcolmj

Quote:
The hours spent have been fun but as all the icon making folks know, it takes a bunch of hours to make these which can be hard to justify - so getting back to basics & my love of music.
Awesome theme as usual, Akoustic. Thanks for all of your hard work. I can fully understand your desire to get back to making music.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #116
rforssell

Thanks from here too! Great job!
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #117
teej813

Now you're talkin'! Very nice, akoustic... continuity, color choice, imaginative buttons... Well done!

tj
Old 12-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #118
bullshark

Quote:
To wrap up the year & personal celebration, i thought it fitting to post a Matrix theme before it gets lost in the woodwork... this will be last for a while, as its time to be making music not icons.

Matrix screenshot:

Theme packs (including previous updates):

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/7681/ak...me_updates.rar

- wishing you all a happening festive season filled with much love & joy
This is my new theme now, first I see that made me give up my ol' bullshark theme. Looks great, thanks for making and sharing this.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #119
fluffy

Man, those really do look great. I really like the new mixer buttons.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #120
fusion2

Just saw your Matrix theme by Akoustic over at KVR and just had to have it, really REALLY nice job you did on it, I'm totally impressed, GREAT! job!...F2
fusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote