Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
GalbE
Human being with feelings

Default Midi CC coupled to midi notes? And why is filtering notes not filtering notes?

I'm using a wind controller (aka midi sax) and a keyboard together to produce expressive melody lines. As I'm not a wind player by nature I play the notes on the keyboard and add vibrato (technically pitch bend) and expression (technically midi CC 2) to my lines with the wind controller and musically it works great. I can achieve much more expressive results than only using controllers, pedals on a keyboard.
I use the Yamaha WX11 wind controller and when blowing it always sends a note. When not touching the valves this is a C sharp (just like a sax). The trick I have to use is filter out this C sharp to be able to use only the breath control (CC 2) and pitch bend for adding free vibrato and expression. I didn't find a suitable plugin in Reaper to filter out just one note but a plug from Pizmidi did the trick for me.
I place the filter plug before the virtual instrument in an FX slot and when playing the keyboard the C sharp 3 is indeed not playing the virtual instrument. However when recording the C# is also recorded, by Reaper together with the other notes I play on the keyboard. But what really puzzles me: when I delete the C sharp in the piano roll after recording the CC 2 commands that were recorded are deleted too, as if they belong to certain notes (C sharps). I don't understand this as it is not according to the midi standard. Notes and CC's events are different events and should not be linked together. I want to delete the C sharps as I don't need them, but keep the CC 2 events that were recorded.
When I do this in Cubase (filter C#3 with the input transformer) it works as expected (but Reaper is my favorite daw :-)). Is there an option/preference in Reaper to 1) unlink CC's from notes and 2) really filter out the C# so it isn't recorded? I searched for it in preferences but didn't find a solution yet.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
DarkStar

Added paragraph breaks to make reading easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalbE View Post
I'm using a wind controller (aka midi sax) and a keyboard together to produce expressive melody lines. As I'm not a wind player by nature I play the notes on the keyboard and add vibrato (technically pitch bend) and expression (technically midi CC 2) to my lines with the wind controller and musically it works great. I can achieve much more expressive results than only using controllers, pedals on a keyboard.

I use the Yamaha WX11 wind controller and when blowing it always sends a note. When not touching the valves this is a C sharp (just like a sax). The trick I have to use is filter out this C sharp to be able to use only the breath control (CC 2) and pitch bend for adding free vibrato and expression. I didn't find a suitable plugin in Reaper to filter out just one note but a plug from Pizmidi did the trick for me.

I place the filter plug before the virtual instrument in an FX slot and when playing the keyboard the C sharp 3 is indeed not playing the virtual instrument. However when recording the C# is also recorded, by Reaper together with the other notes I play on the keyboard.

But what really puzzles me: when I delete the C sharp in the piano roll after recording the CC 2 commands that were recorded are deleted too, as if they belong to certain notes (C sharps). I don't understand this as it is not according to the midi standard. Notes and CC's events are different events and should not be linked together. I want to delete the C sharps as I don't need them, but keep the CC 2 events that were recorded.

When I do this in Cubase (filter C#3 with the input transformer) it works as expected (but Reaper is my favorite daw :-)). Is there an option/preference in Reaper to 1) unlink CC's from notes and 2) really filter out the C# so it isn't recorded? I searched for it in preferences but didn't find a solution yet.
OK; the signal path is MIDI input devices -> track for recording -> pizMIDI filter -> VSTi. Thus the C# are recorded but are filtered out before the MIDI gets to the VSTi.

As for notes and CC being linked. It is certainly not in the MIDI Specification (but it does apply for MPE ). That is an option in Reaper - something like "select CC when note is selected" but I cannot find it at the moment. When you find it, turn it off.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
DarkStar

Also, you could add the pizMIDI filter as an Input Fx. That way the C# does not even get onto the track.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
GalbE

Thanks, I forgot about the input FX and found them again. Going to try this.
About MPE: if i have understood correctly the controllers, pitch bend and notes in MPE are only related because of their common higher midi channel that is created when needed, but they're not really connected in another way?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #5
DarkStar

True - that was half a joke