Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default ??? HOW DO I DO THIS? Proper playback levels & how to get other background music?

Just like recording levels are between -18 to -12db, is there a similar standard level for playback?
I might be wrong, but I thought that a video I saw on YouTube I found awhile back said to not let the playback volume go above -6db.

More to the point, I am doing this 'Just for Fun', BUT, I am a singer. I have a karaoke website that I get the background music from that is pre-recorded, so I do not have any control over individual instruments like in a typical mix. As far as I can tell the only thing I can really do with that is EQ it. If there might be anything else I should do to it p;lease let me know.

Also, since there is something in this world for almost anything, does anyone know of a website that might have the same background music like what I download for my karaoke, but, have all the instruments that are compatible with DAWs so that I could mix the music itself like other guys who mix?

My issue is I am a singer, NOT a musician. I do not know how to read music. I learn song by listening to the original artist sing it 100 times.

I would be grateful for a reply of clarification on this issue or if someone can tell me what the search criteria for YouTube video that I could find out more about this. So far, when I search for 'Reaper proper playback levels' all I get is what looks like proper RECORDING levels as well as if there is someplace where I can get the background music as described.
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Just like recording levels are between -18 to -12db, is there a similar standard level for playback?
I might be wrong, but I thought that a video I saw on YouTube I found awhile back said to not let the playback volume go above -6db.

More to the point, I am doing this 'Just for Fun', BUT, I am a singer. I have a karaoke website that I get the background music from that is pre-recorded, so I do not have any control over individual instruments like in a typical mix. As far as I can tell the only thing I can really do with that is EQ it. If there might be anything else I should do to it p;lease let me know.

Also, since there is something in this world for almost anything, does anyone know of a website that might have the same background music like what I download for my karaoke, but, have all the instruments that are compatible with DAWs so that I could mix the music itself like other guys who mix?

My issue is I am a singer, NOT a musician. I do not know how to read music. I learn song by listening to the original artist sing it 100 times.

I would be grateful for a reply of clarification on this issue or if someone can tell me what the search criteria for YouTube video that I could find out more about this. So far, when I search for 'Reaper proper playback levels' all I get is what looks like proper RECORDING levels as well as if there is someplace where I can get the background music as described.
I don't think you mentioned if you're recording you're vocal? In regards to the karaoke, I doubt you'll get the un-mixed tracks. I don't know anything about karaoke, but I thought it was supposed to be pretty well recorded and mixed?

Regarding the karaoke tracks, as long as their original audio files are not above 0.0dB, then you can put their levels where ever you like, there are no rules to this. However, if you've recorded your vocal, then there are some common sense levels to use for mixing, but that's totally up to you. Best to stay below 0.0dB on the mixdown, I prefer-1.0dB to -0.6dB.

I hate the saying, "use your ears", but that's basically what it comes down to.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
sjs94704

Default Yes! I am recording myself singing to the music!

sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote