Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Gandalf
Human being with feelings

Default Importing a Midi file

Hi guys.

I've just purchased Roland Sound Cancas VA in the hopes that I can import a midi file as individual tracks.
I'm quite new to DAW and am struggling. If anyone could tell me IF I can import a MIDI file and how please.
I kind of managed it once, but couldn't hear anything. Not sure I'd done it right anyway. Do I need to set up audio somehow?
Many MANY thanks for any help.

Edited...I'm on a cruise ship and pay per min for internet, so I'll check in later.
Many thanks for ANY help in advance ��
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Gandalf and welcome to posting on these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure, when you get to dry land, that you:
Open the Media Explorer (from the View menu), browse to the MIDI file, drag it into the main Arrange area.

Now, MIDI is only data, so you will need some sort in "instrument plug-in" to create a sound. For the moment, try loading the built-in ReaSynth instrument. Open the FX Browser (again, from the View menu), find "ReaSynth" and drag it onto the Track control Panel (TCP), Drag down the track's Volume fader (just in case) and click Play.

You should hear the synth sound. If not then check your Output Audio device set-up in Reaper's Preferences.

We'll deal with Sound Canvas later.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Gandalf

Hi Darksrar. Can't thank you enough 😊👏👏
I will definitely look into all the above and check out the links when I hit land.
Off to work now. I'll check later. Got 4 sets tonight. 🎤🎸
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Hi guys.

I've just purchased Roland Sound Cancas VA in the hopes that I can import a midi file as individual tracks.
I'm quite new to DAW and am struggling. If anyone could tell me IF I can import a MIDI file and how please.
I kind of managed it once, but couldn't hear anything. Not sure I'd done it right anyway. Do I need to set up audio somehow?

Edited...I'm on a cruise ship and pay per min for internet, so I'll check in later.
Find the midi file, drag it directly into Reaper (into the main sequencer) Reaper will automatically create a channel/track for it.

You can do this from Reaper's browser or by dragging the midi file from your desktop or whereever you have it stored
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
Gandalf

Ok. I have a midi file in place but no audio. I tried the ReaSynth but that didn't really work for me. I don't wanna be a pain, but I was hoping the Roland Sound Canvas software would recognise the midi file and all the tracks would have their relevant sounds?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Ok. I have a midi file in place but no audio. I tried the ReaSynth but that didn't really work for me. I don't wanna be a pain, but I was hoping the Roland Sound Canvas software would recognise the midi file and all the tracks would have their relevant sounds?
After you've installed the SC it will show up as an FX plugin and you need to put it on each track you want it on manually, same as you put the ReaSynth on. If you can't find it look in the VSTI (or AUi) grouping from the left side of the FX Browser. You can also type "Roland" or whatever is in the actual plugin name in the filter at the bottom and it will show itself. Just be sure to have the grouping "All Plugins" at the top selected.

I don't *think* it will recognize anything automatically. But what you can do is to make a template with all the tracks you need and insert a SC as an FX on each. If your midi files have a standard instrument layout they appear in, you can assign the instrument to the track they'll show up on (If you know the midi file will import with piano first, then bass, etc, you can set up the template ready for that.

One thing that makes using a DAW and plugin different than a sound module and controller is that you aren't confined to different midi channels for different instruments. The standard way in the old school pre-plugin days was that you would expect piano on channel 1, bass on 2, drums on 10, etc. because different channels was the only was the hardware module could do separate parts, since it all went down one midi cable (unless you had a fancy midi box). But because with a DAW, especially Reaper, you're not limited this way (you can have each track on channel one because they don't get in each others' way) it's actually a whole different way of looking at midi track assigning, and much less limiting. But on the other hand, there now isn't an automatic assumption a DAW can make.

People who do deeper midi on Reaper than I can correct this if I'm not right, but I'd say the best way is to create a template with SC already on the tracks and the instruments assigned to where it seems you're usually getting them who you import your midi files, and it's easy to switch voices if you need to.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 10-18-2017 at 08:14 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Andywanders

Quote:
...I was hoping the Roland Sound Canvas software would recognise the midi file and all the tracks would have their relevant sounds?
It will.

Load Sound Canvas onto a track, then drag the MIDI file onto the same track.

You'll be prompted to expand the MIDI channels on to new tracks, or keep them on one track. For now, uncheck this so the MIDI data is all on one track.

Sound Canvas will read the MIDI file and set all its channels to the correct sound, volume & pan.

If you expand the MIDI to new tracks, you'll have to send the MIDI from the new tracks to the Sound Canvas track. This takes a bit more work to set up but gives you more control when editing etc.

Don't bother with Reasynth. It's not multitimbral. Stay with Sound Canvas for MIDI files. It's what it was designed for.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #8
Gandalf

Thank you sooooo much guys.
I've hit a problem with my Sound Canvas software. It's telling me my trial period has runs out lol. I ABSOLUTELY purchased it before I left home 3 weeks ago. I'll need to investigate this.
I'll update here when I hit land the day after tomorrow and have 3G to check this out properly
Thanks again 😊👍
Old 10-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #9
vanhaze

In my experience , Roland plugins authorisation system is absolutely terrible.
I have a subscription for Roland Cloud plugins and i have to re-authorize the plugins constantly without apparent reason for it.
I am on mac.

Sigh..
Old 10-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
uncleswede

Quote:
Hi guys.

I use cakewalk tts-1 as a Gm midi multitimbral plug in but the principle is the same as for SoundCanvas....

Create a track and add the SoundCanvas (or tts-1 in my case) as an FX.

Drag the midi file from Explorer / Finder onto the arrange area and import the file as single tracks

Now make all those imported midi tracks child tracks of the SoundCanvas track. ie. the SoundCanvas track is a folder

Play :-)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote