Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 11-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
darjama
Human being with feelings

Default reaMIXed: The Reaper Mixing Contest - November 2020

REAPER CONTEST - November 2020
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: reaMIXed.com

MIXING: 1-15 November
VOTING: 20-26 November
RESULTS: 28 November

The reaMixed contest keeps on rolling into November. Thanks to all who participated last month. I plan to add some new features to the site this month for the voting phase, hopefully you'll find them helpful.

This month's song is "Ain't Like The Rest" by Caleb Henry, courtesy of pepe44 (winner of the October contest).

You can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Again, no prize this month, aside from the customary track-picking privileges for the next month's contest.

Happy mixing!
-Daryl

IMPORTANT

Last edited by darjama; 11-18-2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Change in voting start date
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
HolyFS

Default Hi

Hi,
It's been 3 months since I know that this competition exists, I would love to participate, I will try to have my mix ready to enter this competition.
Cheers!
HolyFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
PVinKC

Well life has calmed down a bit, thankfully and so I was able to spend a bit of time and work on something 'fun' again. I have to say that I played Red Dirt for a while, and shared the stage with lots of the bigger names. I hadn't heard of Caleb Henry. But this was just what the 'doctor' ordered for me! I got lost in it...and even did a bit of 'innovation' which we'll see who notices.

Anyway...I did the mix yesterday and went through maybe 4 revisions and was relatively happy with it. In listening back this morning I found a couple of things that I wanted to 'tweak' a bit. But in short order I found myself ready to submit. Crossing my fingers that this is received well and looking forward to hearing everyone's mixes as well!

Good Luck everyone!
Old 11-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Fergler

Heads up for everyone: the two vocal tracks polarity-reverse cancel out so you can delete one. The stereo tom track is pre gated and panned but the gate misses a few hits, I'd just toss that, too.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:03 AM   #5
HolyFS

I already uploaded my mix, good luck to everyone!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:09 AM   #6
jansen

I also sent my mix! This is my first submission so I'm pretty excited (although I've been following the contest since the beginning).

And thanks Fergler for the advice (I hadn't even noticed about the vocal tracks ...)
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
REAPER CONTEST - November 2020
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: reaMIXed.com

MIXING: 1-15 November
VOTING: 19-26 November
RESULTS: 28 November

The reaMixed contest keeps on rolling into November. Thanks to all who participated last month. I plan to add some new features to the site this month for the voting phase, hopefully you'll find them helpful.

This month's song is "Ain't Like The Rest" by Caleb Henry, courtesy of pepe44 (winner of the October contest).

You can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Again, no prize this month, aside from the customary track-picking privileges for the next month's contest.

Happy mixing!
-Daryl

IMPORTANT
In case not done already, it could be interesting having youtube talk shows where some of those mixes are discussed with its creater and some other guests. The future of internet seems to be anyway according to the scheme "x talk", here it would be "Reaper Mixing Contest Talk". I guess I would watch those talks from time to time before going to bed or so. Just as an idea.

I could imagine another second variant: Reaper Techniques Talk. Where you are allowed only using Reaper internal techniques, just for demonstration purposes what can be achieved when combined in which form. As a second idea, for the interested.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
darjama

TonE, it's a good idea. I've been meaning to try to do some posts with analysis of the 1st and 2nd place tracks (focusing on reviewers comments) , but it's always hard to find the time. Youtube might be a nice way to show some comparisons to the unmixed tracks and also between mixes.

I do worry about creating youtube posts without permission from the recording artist. But I doubt most would be too bothered. Anyone want to try their hand at it?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:13 AM   #9
javiramallo

Hi Friends!

My Mix is Up

Cheers!
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #10
bFooz

Hi, submitted as well.

The idea of this contest is to use only built in effects. But the built in reverb is not very versatile. Of course, you can use reverb impulses, but you have to attach them to the project EACH TIME and I find it to be a hassle, so I stick to the ReaVerb.

But what if we allowed a single particular free VST reverb to be used?
Contensants would need to install it just once and it would be ready for every future contest project, unlike reverb impulses. And as it is algorithmic, settings could be easily observed by learners. Impulses would be banned then to allow that observation.

This one could be it: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov .

TLDR - Allow OrilRiver VST reverb, ban impulses.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
PVinKC

Boo on banning impulses. We are all created equal in the current. You want to force people to download and learn a program you already know. You don't see a problem with that? Sorry if there was any spelling errors. Can't find my glasses and gotta get back to work
Old 11-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
MisterGTR

Back for more punishment! :s (definitely a human being with feelings after finishing last and 2nd last previously - i missed October due to house move)

Submitting earlier to take a more sprint mix approach (been watching Ken Lewis - In other news i finished 3rd in his Beat Challenge last night)

Thanks again to Darjama for running.
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:40 AM   #13
LCM!

First time I join the contest; I don't expect anything but the last position. I'm proud of my work but I'm sure that, as soon as I listen to other mixes, mine will sound as an earphone buried into a can.
LCM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:53 AM   #14
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM! View Post
First time I join the contest; I don't expect anything but the last position. I'm proud of my work but I'm sure that, as soon as I listen to other mixes, mine will sound as an earphone buried into a can.
Welcome to the contest and good luck!
Old 11-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #15
yikelu

Quote:
TonE, it's a good idea. I've been meaning to try to do some posts with analysis of the 1st and 2nd place tracks (focusing on reviewers comments) , but it's always hard to find the time. Youtube might be a nice way to show some comparisons to the unmixed tracks and also between mixes.

I do worry about creating youtube posts without permission from the recording artist. But I doubt most would be too bothered. Anyone want to try their hand at it?
I'm thinking it'd be more useful to address the mix critiques of the lower ranked tracks. To me, the spread between the top half isn't huge. A little this, a little that, some differences in opinion and monitoring. The lower half has a lot of obvious things to address. The October mixes for example I heard a lot of really muddy vocals, audible pumping, weird artifacts.
yikelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #16
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
Boo on banning impulses. We are all created equal in the current. You want to force people to download and learn a program you already know. You don't see a problem with that?
Not really. It's an idea with a goal of mutual benefit. One can learn much more from an algorithmic reverb than impulses. I've never been using that reverb much, I use mainly Pro-R and TSAR these days. I keep it because it's one of the best free algo verbs at the moment (for me the best). Plus every reverb has basically the same usual controls.

As with every ideas, this one would need to be tested / voted about. I suggest 3 voting options:

- allow only one particular VST algorithmic reverb
- allow only impulse responses
- allow both

Last edited by bFooz; 11-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #17
yikelu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Not really. It's an idea with a goal of mutual benefit. One can learn much more from an algorithmic reverb than impulses. I've never been using that reverb much, I use mainly Pro-R and TSAR these days. I keep it because it's one of the best free algo verbs at the moment (for me the best). Plus every reverb has basically the same usual controls.

As with every ideas, this one would need to be tested / voted about. I suggest 3 voting options:

- allow both
I've personally never delved very much into public reverb IRs. Developing a passing familiarity with some of the better ones would be nice.

I would really enjoy using free VSTs personally, as I have a small collection of them at this point. However, there is a large potential issue of compatibility, especially cross platform. So I'm mixed on free VST usage.

That said, a good question to ask is ... how much do each of us value opening up others' sessions for analysis? I'm too new to this competition to really say.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #18
PVinKC

Quote:

- allow both
Personally, I'd be okay with allowing both or allowing free VST's so long as they are available and working for all platforms. Nothing that only works on PC or Mac for instance. But then you introduce a whole new set of variables. What happens when user b pops in user a's mix and is unable to use it because they don't have that plugin?

What happens 5 years from now if someone brings up an old mix from the archives? Will that free VST still be available and compatible?

I'm sure there are far more questions to be asked about this. With all stock plugins you don't have that problem. With IR's that are uploaded with the other files, everyone can pop a mix in and have a listen right away!
Old 11-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #19
javiramallo

I know perfectly what bFooz is saying but I would prefer keep it simple allowing only the stock plugins.

Cheers!
Old 11-16-2020, 02:55 AM   #20
bFooz

I meant just one single particular VST plugin for reverb. And that's it. Not free VSTs in general. Reaper's eq is good, comp is good, reverb sucks.

That one single VST would have to of course be chosen well. Available on all platforms and being a versatile reverb. I suggested OrilReverb https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov . Other suggestions are welcome. Don't know about Linux with this one, or how many Linux mixers participate. Reaper for Linux is still experimental.

The question of availability in years is the same here as is with every other commercial or noncommercial project each of us do.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #21
PVinKC

Quote:
...The question of availability in years is the same here as is with every other commercial or noncommercial project each of us do.
No it isn't...as I explained already.. with the current methods we upload impulse Responses so in years those will still be available with our project files. There's no guarantee with any VST that it'll still be available. That was my point.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #22
yikelu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
No it isn't...as I explained already.. with the current methods we upload impulse Responses so in years those will still be available with our project files. There's no guarantee with any VST that it'll still be available. That was my point.
If we follow the model of including the actual VST+DLL files, it might work.

The only guarantee our current sessions would work 5 years from now comes from trust in Cockos to maintain backward compatibility OR keeping old copies of the necessary software around, so I suppose it might not be THAT different.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #23
darjama

I need to delay voting by a day. There are 16 entries this month, so I am planning 2 rounds of voting.

In the first round each contestant will pick from 4 entries. In the second round the 4 highest ranked will compete against each other.

I'm not inclined to add any 3rd party effects to the regular contest, but perhaps we can shake things up next month and do something different as a one-off?
Old 11-19-2020, 01:45 AM   #24
bFooz

My proposition is to use just 1 (one) single VST reverb, that would be one dll file, the same VST reverb for everyone.

If a contestant installs it, it would stay installed for all future contests.

The file can be hosted on the contest site too.

e.g. https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov - versatile, free
Old 11-19-2020, 05:08 AM   #25
PVinKC

Quote:
I need to delay voting by a day. There are 16 entries this month, so I am planning 2 rounds of voting.

In the first round each contestant will pick from 4 entries. In the second round the 4 highest ranked will compete against each other.

I'm not inclined to add any 3rd party effects to the regular contest, but perhaps we can shake things up next month and do something different as a one-off?
I seem to recall the old contest allowing a one off where we were able to use other effects for a single contest. It was interesting. Not sure how "fair" that would be for some. I personally have a boat load of effects that I'm sure not everyone will have. So other than giving me an edge, I don't know what there is for others to learn from that?

I seem to recall that they allowed any effects but still banned destructive editing and samples. Not sure that is what you had in mind @darjama but, well there you have it!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #26
Dex

Quote:

I hope that non-contestants will still be allowed to vote this month. I didn't have time to get a mix in but I heard a few rough spots in the multi tracks and am looking forward to seeing how everyone dealt with them.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #27
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I hope that non-contestants will still be allowed to vote this month. I didn't have time to get a mix in but I heard a few rough spots in the multi tracks and am looking forward to seeing how everyone dealt with them.
Hmmm...let me guess, the doubled vocal that cancels out when you flip phase on one of the tracks. The stereo toms track that misses a few hits and was likely gated incorrectly, which is basically un-necessary. The violin which I can't tell how it was recorded, which sounds like crap, basically squashed and badly captured. The inconsistent level of tracks captured and needing to be a bit more normalized...

I don't want to totally empty your "bucket" but I'll bet that cuts into it pretty fairly.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #28
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yes, I'll leave a noncontestants option. I will collect email addresses with it this time, there were still some shenanigans last month.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #29
Fergler

Oops I forgot about it and missed the entry. Did a good mix too. Oh well. I'll post mine anyway when it's all done.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #30
Fergler

Quote:
I meant just one single particular VST plugin for reverb. And that's it. Not free VSTs in general. Reaper's eq is good, comp is good, reverb sucks.
Your entire premise is based on an opinion. Do you see the problem in that?
Reaper's reverb IR loader does what it says and works great. It has more flexibiltiy in in that most IR loaders. Ability to stretch, delay, filter the sound from one plugin. If you can't make it sound good like the many people that do use it without problem, perhaps you need to get some better IR samples. Happy to point you to them.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #31
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Your entire premise is based on an opinion.
True. Therefore I ask for a poll so the general mixers' reverb preference is clear.

Quote:
perhaps you need to get some better IR samples. Happy to point you to them.
That'd be nice. Maybe some links could be also on the contest page where the like to Youlean meter is.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #32
HolyFS

Hi.
I like the rules in this contest, perhaps another contest with another rules would be good too, like a using different reverb than reaverb or self Fx or using the steam to mashup and remix the song to a different one.
Cheers!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #33
darjama

Voting should go live in just over two hours.

As I mentioned before, I'm breaking up the voting into 2 rounds for this month. In the first round you pick top 3 from between 4 different tracks (not including your own. if your track is #1, then you are choosing between 2,3,4 and 5). In the second round the 4 highest scores (or more in event of a tie) will be the ones be eligible for votes.

You can listen to all the tracks. I wanted to bring the ones that were eligible to be voted on to the top, but I ran out of time.

Also, I've added a normalize button to the player that adjusts gain so that integrated LUFS are all equal and the maximum peak is -1 dbFS.

Please let me know if anything is broken, I'll try to fix it quickly.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:43 AM   #34
WaveTrans

Wow, 16 Mixes, this contest is popular.

So how are you tackling the voting?

Any tips and tricks to share how to manage listening to so many versions of the same song without immediately getting prone to fatigues of all kinds?
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:11 AM   #35
bFooz

Flacs cannot be downloaded, URL not found.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:01 AM   #36
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTrans View Post
Wow, 16 Mixes, this contest is popular.

So how are you tackling the voting?

Any tips and tricks to share how to manage listening to so many versions of the same song without immediately getting prone to fatigues of all kinds?
Hi WaveTrans.

My judger method:

I download all the submissions.
In reaper I use the action, "normalize Loudness of selected items to xxLUFS" in orden to get a equal loudness for all of them.

After That, listen carefully each of them in my monitor, in my head phones and finally if I have time enought in my car.

Of course this method is posible only while the number of submitions reamain low.

The best for all of you.

Javier.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #37
javiramallo

Quote:
Flacs cannot be downloaded, URL not found.
Confirmed!
Old 11-20-2020, 05:18 AM   #38
javiramallo

In the other side. I can't vote for any mixes other than mixes number 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Take a look to the picture.

Last edited by javiramallo; 11-20-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #39
PVinKC

I'm confused...why is it that we are only allowed to vote on 4 tracks!? NONE of the other tracks are able to be voted on!? How is this fair? I'm sure I'm missing something here. Surely this is a site/coding error!? I voted on the ONLY 4 I was allowed to. However I would HATE to think that somebody with a bad mix won over the mixes I really liked simply because we weren't allowed to vote on the great mixes. Donald Trump says it's the democrats! lol

Last edited by PVinKC; 11-20-2020 at 06:24 AM.
PVinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #40
javiramallo

For sure it is only a fail!
Better to wait for Daryl.

Last edited by javiramallo; 11-20-2020 at 06:34 AM.