Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
RubbedLung
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Voices??

Just curious if anyone knows how to change the MIDI voices within the program? Alls I can get is the piano.

Also, I have some other MIDI synth programs, however when I try to record into REAPER, I get the "Piano" sound in addition to the voice that I selected. Anyone know how to alleviate this?
RubbedLung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
funkster1

Hi,
welcome to the boards first.
Secondly, what excectly are you trying to do? Are you using some outboard gear or some VST instruments? Depending on your MIDI device, MIDI Program Changes can sometimes be recorded directly with the performance, or be changed later in the MIDI editor.

So in order to help you here, you should provide us with a little more info on your setup/task/goal.

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
RubbedLung

Default RE: MIDI Voices?

Basically I'm just trying to use the internal MIDI voices with my midi-keyboard controller. However, the only voice I can seem to get is the generic "piano" sound on the keyboard. This is maintained, even when I try to record from a secondary midi-program (while running REAPER) it will record the voices from the external program, but it will also keep the generic "piano" sound and it will coincide with the other voice that I use from the other program.

So basically I'm just curious about how to either TURN OFF the internal midi sound that comes up when I use my MIDI contoller with REAPER, or how to change the voice of the internal MIDI sound when I use my MIDI controller with REAPER.

Any info would be appreciated.

DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Hi,
welcome to the boards first.
Secondly, what excectly are you trying to do? Are you using some outboard gear or some VST instruments? Depending on your MIDI device, MIDI Program Changes can sometimes be recorded directly with the performance, or be changed later in the MIDI editor.

So in order to help you here, you should provide us with a little more info on your setup/task/goal.

Cheers
Raphael
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbedLung View Post
...So basically I'm just curious about how to either TURN OFF the internal midi sound that comes up when I use my MIDI contoller with REAPER, or how to change the voice of the internal MIDI sound when I use my MIDI controller with REAPER.

Any info would be appreciated.

DR
Turning Off the internal voices of your MIDI keyboard is done by setting it to "Local Off" in the Setup of your KB. Look it up in the manual how this is done.

For changing the voices from within Reaper, open the offending MIDI part in the MIDI editor and in the bottom lane you'll find all the standard MIDI controls. Therein is one control called 'Program Change'. With this control you can draw in a voice change wherever you want/need.
Again, you have to look up the KB manual to see how the MIDI Program Changes are handled/numbered for your controller. If it has more than 128 patches, you may have to insert a 'Bank Change'
command as well in your MIDI part.

Hope this helps a bit and gets you a little farther.

Raphael
Old 05-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
RubbedLung

Wow! That actually is helpful. The Manual for my Keyboard (Creative PC-Midi) is absurd though. It has pretty much no instruction other than the total obvious. Are there any general methods of turning the internal Local voices On/Off? I realize this probably ridiculous, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks again for your help.

DR

Quote:
Turning Off the internal voices of your MIDI keyboard is done by setting it to "Local Off" in the Setup of your KB. Look it up in the manual how this is done.

For changing the voices from within Reaper, open the offending MIDI part in the MIDI editor and in the bottom lane you'll find all the standard MIDI controls. Therein is one control called 'Program Change'. With this control you can draw in a voice change wherever you want/need.
Again, you have to look up the KB manual to see how the MIDI Program Changes are handled/numbered for your controller. If it has more than 128 patches, you may have to insert a 'Bank Change'
command as well in your MIDI part.

Hope this helps a bit and gets you a little farther.

Raphael
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
RubbedLung

I know I've kind of let this one sit for a while but I was curious if anyone could tell me any methods of turning the internal Local voices On/Off? As I've said the keyboard offers no instructions and I can't find anything in REAPERS instructions either. Any info would be appreciated.

DR
Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
funkster1

Hi,
I don't know your keyboard mate, but is it maybe the gadget PC-Keyboard with integrated MIDI Keys?
If so, why don't you simply let go of it's internal voices/softsynth/wavetable thingie?
I'm almost certain then that it has no such elaborate functions like 'local On/Off' or other.
Just use some (free) softsynths instead. Way easier to handle and should also give you much better sounds to play with.
A list of free synths can be found at k-v-r Audio

Regards
Raphael
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Retarius

Default Piano is nice, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbedLung View Post
I know I've kind of let this one sit for a while but I was curious if anyone could tell me any methods of turning the internal Local voices On/Off? As I've said the keyboard offers no instructions and I can't find anything in REAPERS instructions either. Any info would be appreciated.

DR
DR,

I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I have posted on this before, but not received a response. I have a Roland EP-9 digital piano, and Yamaha DD-55 drum pads - both with MIDI connection into Reaper. And both (even the drum pads) sound only like a piano (all the time)! I'm going to see if I can make changes thru the MIDI editor again (unsuccessful first few times).

Retarius

Retarius
Retarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
manning1

firstly if you have little knowledge of midi.
get a good detailed book on synths n midi.
whatever your external midi hardware synths/keyboards/modules,
manufacturers have manuals for them.
contact the manufacturer.
then delve into the manual n learn the various aspects of your external unit.
you will find lots of parameters u have to be aware of for setting. some midi units have huge parameter lists.
for example if you have set to some default piano patch then it must be changed to drums or whatever.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
RubbedLung

It's a "Creative PC-MIDI Keyboard" I've e-mailed the company however they haven't written back yet. Anyone with knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

DR

Quote:
Hi,

I don't know your keyboard mate, but is it maybe the gadget
PC-Keyboard with integrated MIDI Keys?
If so, why don't you simply let go of it's internal voices/softsynth/wavetable thingie?
I'm almost certain then that it has no such elaborate functions like 'local On/Off' or other.
Just use some (free) softsynths instead. Way easier to handle and should also give you much better sounds to play with.
A list of free synths can be found at k-v-r Audio

Regards
Raphael