Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #801
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
We can only hope that something similar to Pro Tools playlists is planned for REAPER 6
This was talked about in a different thread...

The folder track feature in Reaper could be used as a playlist feature and it might actually be the closest fit!

When you want additional playlists for a track, make the track itself a folder track and add additional "playlists" as child tracks. There is almost certainly some feature to only play the "top" child track or mute the others or something to handle that. Or only assign the master/parent send of the "playlist" you wish to hear.

I haven't tried this yet but it was a lightbulb over the head moment.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #802
esosotericmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
This was talked about in a different thread...

The folder track feature in Reaper could be used as a playlist feature and it might actually be the closest fit!

When you want additional playlists for a track, make the track itself a folder track and add additional "playlists" as child tracks. There is almost certainly some feature to only play the "top" child track or mute the others or something to handle that. Or only assign the master/parent send of the "playlist" you wish to hear.

I haven't tried this yet but it was a lightbulb over the head moment.
I had that moment a couple years back and tried implementing exactly that. I was able to get it working for single tracks but once you get into multi mic sources it doesn't work. Last I checked anyway.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:01 AM   #803
BipTunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Personally, i think takes can be improved a lot.

Especially for newbies who don't want complicated workarounds.
Yea, the take system is maddening to me. I don't use it, don't need it, and spend time undoing things it does, things that no other DAW I've used does.

Kenny, knows all with Reaper...Kenny, is there an easy way to just TURN IT OFF so I'm not recording layers over layers and have to go in and delete the takes/ lanes/layers/clams whatever that I don't want?

Thank you for your service!
BipTunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 AM   #804
EvilDragon

Yes, Options->New recording that overlaps existing media items. Choose the way you want to work with. You might find tape mode good for what you want to do.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:08 AM   #805
BipTunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, Options->New recording that overlaps existing media items. Choose the way you want to work with.

=^._.^= ∫

=^._.^= ∫

=^._.^= ∫

=^._.^= ∫
Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #806
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Personally, i think takes can be improved a lot.

Especially for newbies who don't want complicated workarounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BipTunia View Post
Yea, the take system is maddening to me. I don't use it, don't need it, and spend time undoing things it does, things that no other DAW I've used does.

Kenny, knows all with Reaper...Kenny, is there an easy way to just TURN IT OFF so I'm not recording layers over layers and have to go in and delete the takes/ lanes/layers/clams whatever that I don't want?

To be clear, I wrote that quoted response 9 years ago. LOL.

My new opinion is that the Take system is mostly fine as is and I would prefer to see a Playlist feature added rather than replacing the Take system.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #807
BipTunia

Quote:

My new opinion is that the Take system is mostly fine as is and I would prefer to see a Playlist feature added rather than replacing the Take system.
Worms. (that's how the kids are saying "word" now.)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #808
drichard

+1 for Playlists. But the truth is I've gotten used to the Take system now, and I find it faster and more efficient than similar systems in other DAWs. It looks odd but, for me at least, working with it has become very fast and efficient.

Quote:

drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #809
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipTunia View Post
is there an easy way to just TURN IT OFF so I'm not recording layers over layers and have to go in and delete the takes/ lanes/layers/clams whatever that I don't want?

I have a custom cycle action that will toggle between take mode and lane mode. Been using it for a couple of months and its working really well for me. It's kind of the best of both worlds: when I want to do nice, clean punch-ins I can use the take system. When I really need to see and possibly overlap items, I can use the lane system.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #810
poetnprophet

Had a session last night, where the take/lane system came in handy. Every bar needed a punch in that overlapped, so switching to the lanes made it very easy to keep all pieces nice and tidy

poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #811
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
But the truth is I've gotten used to the Take system now, and I find it faster and more efficient than similar systems in other DAWs. It looks odd but, for me at least, working with it has become very fast and efficient.
Same here. I figured out how to do what I want to do - which is actually how I learned to do it in Tracktion and Sonar years ago - and now I'm fast and efficient with takes. I can chop, dice, and slice from among 10 or 20 takes and get a composite of the best pieces from several takes, crop to active take if needed, glue items, render to stem, etc...... For example, I'll never be a professional singer, I hate my voice, so this method is awesome for me editing and distilling several voice takes down to one barely palatable vocal track. If I sing a line or a phrase 10 or 20 times, at least one of those takes will be usable.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:24 PM   #812
skylar_battles

Here’s what I’ve found:

Takes is only suitable when recording yourself and it’s something that is a 4 bar section for example. Simple to comp before further editing

If recording a vocalist and you need to keep everything and don’t want to keep duplicating tracks which takes processing power if there’re plugins, I think the best solution would be to use create new media items. You can just select and mute what you don’t want to hear and just use one track. Also you can use take markers to label things as you go if there’s something you want to remember in a certain spot. Then you can keep everything in that track to have it and put your comped sections on a track with copies and pieces from the original track of the items you want to use and do cross fades etc. Razor editing makes it faster.

Tape mode I think of as the old school vibe where I’m punching in literally! But often times if you punch in too late a good take is kinda of messed up because it can’t be “musically” comped. So tape mode is for more of a specific workflow where you’re building stuff in chunks. Or you screw up and just want to record of what you see, but tape mode can’t really be used when a tracks has takes of separate overlapping items because it will just print over everything.

I think it’s probably most helpful to just know when to use each. I haven’t tried fixed media item lanes from the dev build but it seems promising.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:23 AM   #813
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
I haven’t tried fixed media item lanes from the dev build but it seems promising.
By the discussions over in the prerelease forum, it is considered VERY promising.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:20 AM   #814
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
By the discussions over in the prerelease forum, it is considered VERY promising.
-Michael
yes, I've been watching this and it looks like we're going to get a great takes comping system very soon

M