Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #601
msore
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Agree, that's a pretty wide scope you draw there but I do agree conceptually.

How many things from your list there have you personally really sacrificed for? Or is this all just general philosophy? I agree with you though.

Say Freedoms: Have you ever served in the military? If not, why not? If so, tell us about it. To be clear, i actually don't mind being led down the right path, but usually not by people who aren't willing to travel those hard paths themselves.

Thanks MSore.
Lawrence, you PERSIST in focus on individuals, as if to distract from the larger social realities. WTF?

To satisfy your prying curiosity, I had a very high draft number during Vietnam war and what I learned about war during that period was that all the young men I knew who came back said the war was insane and should never have been fought. Then later, after college I tried to join the AF and scored high on their tests (for languages and intelligence) but my childhood kidney problems made me unacceptable to them.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #602
Lawrence

Why are you getting angry MSore? I actually agreed with your premise there.

You keep outlining problems and potential solutions. I only asked what have - you - done personally? Why you find that question offensive or irrelevant to the subject matter is well beyond me.

It's directly relevant because we all can easily sit around talking about how to solve anything, while not actually - risking - anything. I'm personaly more inclined to listen to those who have risked or are willing to risk something, not just spout phiolosophy about it from the safety of their couch. But i like your ideas.

When you constantly outline problems that you claim to have the solutions for, surely you'd expect someone to eventually ask you... "What are you doing about it?" (besides just talking) Have you ever heard the phrase "Lead by example?" If your comments about what's wrong are not designed to engage people to some kind of positive action, then what's the point exactly?

If they are, then should you not be engaging in some kind of action also? Or is the message, "Do as i say, not as i do."? Is the idea to keep talking and hope - somebody else - does something?

Let's take one example, how music or the industry sucks. What have you done or what are you doing to help that? Surely someone of your high intelligence can organize musicians in your area? Have you done that? Or is your interest more just talking about it and solving it all in some hypothetical way? Moot court?

Never mind. Sorry I asked. Gosh.

I guess your high intelligence is just over my head. Sorry man. I'll just stay out of this stuff with you.

Last edited by Lawrence; 11-18-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #603
karbomusic

Quote:
"Do as i say, not as i do."?
My dad told me that once when I was around 13, I answered with "Practice what you preach". Didn't go over too well.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #604
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
Over time, when the people who feel forced into shitty work get together, and when the people being robbed of their livelihoods get together,
and when we all think about where the trends are headed ...

things can improve.
No amount of thinking changes anything, it's turning those thoughts into actions that has an effect. Of course awareness precedes action, but without people demonstrating their commitment to those they would like as friends and those they see as enemies, things will tick along largely as they have always done. Give or take the odd token concession, of course.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #605
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
No amount of thinking changes anything, it's turning those thoughts into actions that has an effect. Of course awareness precedes action, but without people demonstrating their commitment to those they would like as friends and those they see as enemies, things will tick along largely as they have always done. Give or take the odd token concession, of course.
Mostly I agree there. Get off you ass. But thinking and talking in new ways CAN be a kind of action. And for songwriters, and singers, expressing the possible and sympathizing with the downtrodden HAS been constructive. Another kind of action.

And action toward making the world better for musicians probably does not include competing with and undercutting other musicians for gig rates. That is a race to the bottom. More constructive, long-term action might be things like organizing your own groups, agencies. Collective musician action can have more positive effect than every artist taking what pittance they are offered.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #606
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Why are you getting angry MSore? I actually agreed with your premise there.
Because it is irrelevant what I do or did personally.

Social trends are not about ME, or you or individuals. Look at the economics, the markets, the controllers and gatekeepers, the shifts in media and publishing and tools, including software.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #607
Lawrence

Quote:
Because it is irrelevant what I do or did personally.

Social trends are not about ME, or you or individuals. Look at the economics, the markets, the controllers and gatekeepers, the shifts in media and publishing and tools, including software.
In a final (really, final) attempt to connect with you on a pure common sense level, all of those things are driven by people, people typically following the lead of an individual who maybe had the vision of that change. Things never just happen, people make things happen.

At the forefront of almost any major change is one individual who started it all.

That was really all I was saying. Thanks.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #608
StickBanger

Default The New Golden Age

Not really understanding the negative comments here.
Taking the "writing" out of songwriting leaves more time for signing autographs.
StickBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #609
morgon

Quote:
And action toward making the world better for musicians probably does not include competing with and undercutting other musicians for gig rates.
Or describing what they do as "wankering" [aka "dedication"]
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #610
unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickBanger View Post
Not really understanding the negative comments here.
Taking the "writing" out of songwriting leaves more time for signing autographs.
just because you resurrected this thread makes me think you either

A. Work for the software company that the op was talking about.

B. Play the drums.

C. Have intercourse with tree braches

D. All of the above.

Just a little laugh no harm intended.
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #611
ValeryOrloff

Default forget Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Yeah, forget Reaper. Forget having to be a musician or having any production skills. Here it is all set up for you! Sound like the PROS!
stupid advertising, it's just simply MP3 player...
Reaper's community completely different