Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
MetalMGH
Human being with feelings

Default Hi guys, region editing question

I apologize if this has been asked ad nauseum, but since I don't really know what the name of the thing I'm complaining about is, I don't really know what to search for. So here's a video detailing my woes (it's just 1m25s long, don't worry ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTLy1GUs_c

Any idea how to turn off this "region blending?" (as I'm calling it)

Thanks a lot!
MetalMGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

I'm not sure if I understand the problem. If you don't want to hear both items (which is Reaper's term for what you call regions, btw) why do you want to drag one overlapping the other? I find it a blessing that I can have them both playing (was not possible in my ancient Logic 5.51)

Just let them snap edge to edge and you get the result you want, if I get you correctly.
You can set the snap setting to 'snap media items to nearby items'. If you set the corresponding box 'up to x tracks away' to "0", it will snap only items on the same track.

You have to be aware that you might get clicks because of items start or end not on a zero crossing using your method.

What I find odd in Reaper relating to overlapped items is that I can't grab the right edge of an item that is overlapped. Which is one reason why I have auto X-fade active most of the time, because then I can grab the fade of that item and drag it (and let it snap to the other item's left edge if I don't want them to overlap at all).

Hope this helps a bit.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
MetalMGH

First off, thanks for your reply!

And the issue is when I have two items next to each other that I want to join, I like to be able to slide one over the other so I can have them join at a zero crossing in both; this is just how I've gotten used to doing it for years in Cubase and Pro Tools, extending one item over the other until it lines up, and then applying a crossfade at the end to seal the deal, rather than just crossfading everything. So is there not a way to enable this in Reaper? Cuz honestly, that would be a little ridiculous, IMO...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
dimitar

+1 for that. As a previous user of Cubase and Pro tools, it is really illogical.
dimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
MetalMGH

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
BenK-msx

just had a look at this now and if both the items are selected and then you drag the item edge it doesn't then overlap the two, it just changes the point where they meet.
so you can find good place to have the clips change if thats what you want?

having snap to nearby items on as described above would help

but also with crossfade on too, you can do the above, but then if you select just the one item, moving the edge of that a bit then creates a crossfade, so they meet where you want plus you dont risk any clicks.

glad i investigated as that is handy for me at least I normally have snap to grid off, but snap to nearby items, moving where they meet, then crossfading, i can see being useful.

thanks!

Last edited by BenK-msx; 03-13-2009 at 10:07 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
MetalMGH

Hi Ben, thanks for that, and yeah, someone else on a different forum suggested that - however, the problem there is with both regions selected, if you trim the end of one, it'll trim the end of the other as well, which of course isn't necessarily something I always want to do! (but on the other hand, it's not something I'd always want to have disabled either, cuz it has its uses)

And yeah, I don't like auto crossfade, because you can't perfectly line up the regions so that they meet at a zero crossing; basically, I like to get the edit to sound as imperceptible as possible without crossfading, and then use a crossfade as a finishing touch!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
BenK-msx

hi,
- as i see it with two snapped together and selected items, dragging the boundary moves the end of left item and the start of right, the other ends of each are left alone.

[edit] ah yes when not snapped (i.e apart) they behave as you say, they need to be snapped together first - e.g extend item one to meet/snap to item2, then select both and move the boundary.

i was about to add that the option `show overlapping items in lanes` could be of use to you, particularly if you dislike auto crossfade as you can then adjust fades on each item manually. that or free item mode.

am sure you can find a way to work if not exactly how you are used, but effectively, reaper usually comes up trumps.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 03-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
The-Zeronaut

+1 i think this is a great idea
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote