Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper to Protools Session Export?

I know this may have been asked before, but what is the translator, so that I can send Reaper files and Reaper session to open in Protools?

I really don't want to go down the PT route, inc the setting up, learning etc!

But i'd like to do all of my audio to video in Reaper, which is great, but my problem comes when i then export the files and session out to PT users.

If i get the whole audio and tracks in sync in a Reaper session and save it, whats the procedure for getting these to a Protools user, without exporting every track as a full audio track for just a few 'hits' on the timeline?

Is there a simple way or translator to take all the timestamped Reaper audio/session, to mirror this exactly to a PT session, so it looks as if i've used PT all along lol

I understand that fx and plug ins wouldn't port over, so final 'spotted' rendered audio would be a good in PT, that matches sync and hit points from Reaper?

Hope this makes sense
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Aeolian

Render each track, all starting at bar one.

Export a midi file, include the tempo track.

Open pro tools.

Import the tempo/midi track.

Import your stem tracks.

Save to .ptx

That is the "cheap and cheerful" way but it works well.
There are other, better ways but they won't be free.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Render each track, all starting at bar one.
Yes thought of this straight away, which is fine for music and recording, but if i have a few hits or slams on 1 track, then rendering from zero to the end seems a bit overkill?

I understand that a proper translator or export software to translate to PT wouldn't be free, but if it means i don't have to get on the Avid-train! as that sounds painful!!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
andyp24

AATranslator is your best bet. It costs more than Reaper but the licence is for lifetime upgrades (I think) and one of the developers is active on this forum (username Runaway).
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
buckman

Thanks, yes i think i have heard of AA Translator.

Also looks like AATranslator is a PC program only? so would that mean i need to use PC Version of Reaper as my 'protools'? (I have both PC and Mac here) and how does this translate from a PC to a PT user using Mac?

I will ask these questions to Runaway too
Old 06-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
Tone Ranger

I'm on Mac using AATranslator here, works great! Just download Winebottler (it's free/donationware). Instructions on how to set it all up come with AATranslator when you buy it. Not difficult to get going, and it's been really stable on 10.14.5 here :-)

https://www.aatranslator.com.au/

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Michael who runs AATranslator is super helpful and very responsive if you have any issues....
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
hopi

AATranslater is 'da'shit'... worth its weight in gold when you need it.

I've had it since it first came out and it has grown immensely since those days
Old 06-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Runaway

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone.
Buckman has emailed me while I slept (hey it is Sunday morning here lol) and I'm sure we can satisfy his requirements
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Yes thought of this straight away, which is fine for music and recording, but if i have a few hits or slams on 1 track, then rendering from zero to the end seems a bit overkill?
Nah, storage is cheap considering is just for the transfer. Once it's there it can be cut and re-duped as new files.

Honestly, I've relied on Reaper's file stamp to go back and forth with other DAWs and that works great to put small files in their location. But the problem is it's not automatic. You have to spot the files there (not the biggest deal in PT if you do them on the same track and have them go to spot). But the easiest thing short of going the AATranslator route (and as long as you're OK with in being a fresh, new session with the files in place) is to render all files top to end, name appropriately and drag into the new PT session (using the midi file export if you need a tempo map). It creates new tracks, and if you then delete any large silences and redupe into new files it's still easier and quicker than importing tracks wth several small files.

I work with two other guys with songs that go all around, from writing to tracking and ODs to mixing in DP, Reaper and PT, and because we don't need to pass along takes/playlist/comp lists or plugins all we need to do is get from one phase to the next with files in place. We just do the rendering and importing routine and it's always been fine. About the only hassle is that comps have to be rendered out, but I'm big on committing to those things early and not leaving them in take lists so that's a dealkiller we only rarely hit. If decisions have to linger it's easy to have all the original takes/tracks in there as well as the rendered comps.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
buckman

Thank you for your input, and yes i did email Runaway and will look more at AA Translator

So @vdubreeze you are saying to do the old way and simplest most effective way of just rendering from bar1 to say bar 999 with all the silences, and re-cut the audio to the audio file in PT, or strip silence so that its all neat, but in the correct place and spotted correctly?

This does seem easy and simple, but i suppose it still requires me to buy PT in order to do this quickly before exporting a PT session to the next stage after me?

i didn't actually know about Reaper's file stamp which i need to check out. Is this AAF? or is it some universal file stamp that works with most DAW's? as if im honest, i really could do with something that 'stamps' Ableton Sound design files into Reaper at their correct place? But again i suppose AA Translator might be my best place for this?

Either that or my idea was to just use Ableton as my Sound Design 'sampler', record into Reaper like any other instrument, (at any point like bar 1) and spot/align sounds from there, within Reaper, without any sync from Ableton > Reaper.... Just use Reaper as the recorder/editor, if that makes sense?