COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 01-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone know what changed in Wavelab 10 VST3 handling? SOLVED

One of my existing VST3 iPlug1 builds, that passes "pluginval" and Steinberg's VST3 validator tool and has been working for a long time, crashes the new Wavelab 10. This same plugin works perfectly in Cubase 10 and Wavelab 9.

The plugin loads and runs fine in the Master section of Wavelab 10 but crashes if used in the clip, track or output sections. The crash occurs the first time playback is stopped. The plugin loads and works properly up until that point.

I understand Steinberg changed the audio engine for WL 10 and, IMO, something broke in the process. I reported this to PG at Steinberg but he automatically assumes it is not a problem in Wavelab. One of the advertising claims for WL 10 is "improved third-party VST support" - but in my case that is FALSE!

Will try to debug this but, in the meantime, anyone else here having issues with VST3 in Wavelab 10?

BTW - the VST(2) version of this same plugin works perfectly

Last edited by Nonlinear; 01-15-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Found solution
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
Nonlinear

Debugger shows: "Exception thrown at 0x00007FF95FC2A9DB (msvcp140.dll) in WaveLabPro10_0.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000050FF8" at time of crash.

Bug in Wavelab 10 or something in my plugins?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 01-15-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Nonlinear

I found the problem and it has to do with reporting plugin latency to the host.

Apparently in Wavelab 9 and Cubase 10 (and many other hosts) it is not necessary to check current plugin latency before reporting latency.

For example, in my RESET function I checked for current sample rate and then updated the host with the appropriate latency with "SetLatency()".

That works in Cubase 10 and Wavelab 9 but causes a crash in Wavelab 10.

The fix for WL 10 is to check for current latency first BEFORE calling SetLatency() like this:
if (newlatency != GetLatency()) SetLatency();

IDK if this is a new requirement of VST3 or I have just been getting away with it all along.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Nonlinear

Some additional info from PG at Steinberg in case it helps anyone else here:

"WaveLab versions before 10, did not support plugin latency changes while the plugin was active.
When this happens now, WaveLab has to briefly auto-stop/playback, to take this delay into account.
In previous WaveLab versions, the delay was taken into account next time the user would restart playback himself."