Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 AM   #1
Pando
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper won't end process after closing

More often than not, after closing Reaper, the process still continues running taking up a good chunk of CPU and memory. After working with my latest project and closing it, I'm now looking at this invisible Reaper taking up 10% of CPU and 10GB or RAM, and it just sits there in the task manager forever until I manually end the process or reboot the computer.

If I open up Reaper again, a second process opens up, and of course I'm now running out of RAM since the first process is still running!

I'm running about 50 instances of Kontakt with a large orchestral library on an i7-8086K machine with 32GB of RAM.

I noticed this with Reaper v5.982 and v6.10.
Pando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Does this happen as well, when you just open Reaper and close it again? With none of your projects opened?

And I suppose, you use it on Windows?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
Pando

I tried a few times without any tracks, and it disappeared from process list after a few seconds after closing. But it does happen sometimes with a full project, and with different projects also.

Yes, I'm using Windows, latest version of OS, Reaper and Kontakt.
Pando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
uksnowy

I am having the same issue.

It happens when I change projects from my current project to another (not new) project. It does not occur all the time but does not seem to be project dependent.

I notice it is because suddenly my control surface is no longer connected to Reaper. At first I thought it might be something to do with CSI but while doing some trouble shooting I noticed that even though I have closed Reaper I still have two instances running in Windows. See picture.

Windows 7 Home Premium. I7-4710MQ 16GB ram

https://stash.reaper.fm/manage_file/41957/reaper.jpg

EDIT. while writing this note, I just checked my running apps in task manager and it shows a Reaper instance running. 0 CPU 258,612K memory. I closed Reaper 10 minutes ago.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Klangfarben

This is just a guess, but do you have a lot of Kontakt samples loaded? If so, it actually isn't a Reaper issue at all. Reaper can't close the process until Kontakt unloads everything from memory, which takes a considerable amount of time (why I don't know...)

The same can also happen with Play and UVI samples but Kontakt seems to be the worst offender in this regard. I have about 80GB or so of Kontakt samples loaded and I generally just go into Task Manager and end the process manually as it would take around 15 minutes to fully quit otherwise. I had to do the same thing when I was running Cubase.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #6
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
This is just a guess, but do you have a lot of Kontakt samples loaded? If so, it actually isn't a Reaper issue at all. Reaper can't close the process until Kontakt unloads everything from memory, which takes a considerable amount of time (why I don't know...)

The same can also happen with Play and UVI samples but Kontakt seems to be the worst offender in this regard. I have about 80GB or so of Kontakt samples loaded and I generally just go into Task Manager and end the process manually as it would take around 15 minutes to fully quit otherwise. I had to do the same thing when I was running Cubase.
I do use Kontakt but infrequently. I dont have huge libraries loaded. And the project yesterday I did not have Kontakt loaded.

I'll look into it when it happens again but I do not think it is Kontakt in this case.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:30 AM   #7
uksnowy

So, it happened again yesterday. I was reviewing projects and I was into my third project when I noticed that my control surface was not connected to Reaper. That is the visual stimulus that something has happened. I immediately exited Reaper and then brought up the task list see below. Again, two Reaper tasks running.

I left the computer in this state and came back 4 hours later and the situation had not changed, still two Reaper tasks running even though Reaper had been exited several hours before.

Neither of the three projects I was cycled through had Kontakt libraries in the project.

So the questions are: what can be causing the Reaper tasks to not close when Reaper exits?

What more can I do to aid investigation?

Old 05-17-2021, 04:59 AM   #8
ivansc

Just noticed this thread & I have been trying to pin down WHY this happens on my machine, too.
In my case it doesn`t happen that often but when it does the only way I have found of fixing things is to shut down and reboot the computer, which in one way is no big deal, but it does indicate a bug either in Windows 10 or reaper.
I haven`t been able to find any record of what is going on when it happens so far & from what I can recall the circumstances in the project involved are pretty random.

I have been trying to figure out a way to report it as a bug with no luck so far.

One other thing: When this has occurred, if I try to re-start Reaper, it hangs on loading the MIDI devices. This is how I know it has happened in my case.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:00 AM   #9
zabukowski

Same here!
zabukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:04 AM   #10
uksnowy

SO how do ew find out whats going on? Any guidance on information gathering?
Old 05-26-2021, 04:19 AM   #11
RobertP

I believe, in the past, some soundcards needed to be closed before exiting Reaper...EMU ones I recall were notorious for it. Might be worth trying. If you need your soundcard for other apps I think you can just turn it on again, so no need for a reboot.

It happening between loading different projects is a bit weird though.

This was also reported on here somewhere when people were trying to update reaper/SWS? and it refused as Reaper was still running in the background after closing.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:00 AM   #12
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
I believe, in the past, some soundcards needed to be closed before exiting Reaper...EMU ones I recall were notorious for it. Might be worth trying. If you need your soundcard for other apps I think you can just turn it on again, so no need for a reboot.

It happening between loading different projects is a bit weird though.

This was also reported on here somewhere when people were trying to update reaper/SWS? and it refused as Reaper was still running in the background after closing.
Thanks for the reply Robert. But my problem occurs when I simply change projects. I am not shutting Reaper down and then loading a project. I use a Focusrite 18i20 which is fairly common.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #13
horriblemind

I have the same problem. I close Reaper but still see it in task manager using 30-40 % of CPU.
horriblemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:38 AM   #14
RJHollins

I've been having a similar situation with Reaper. After a quit,
the Task Manager will still show an entry [from time to time].

I've not been able to trace down the culprit ... and seem to start
since updating to v6 [Win7[64] Pro]
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #15
consicur7

yes please if there's a way to fix this! It wasn't happening before, v5 and before. I remember that after a crash I was able to resume work immediately. Now you need PC restart or wait 4-5 minutes for crashed reaper.exe to disappear from the task manager.
consicur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #16
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by consicur7 View Post
yes please if there's a way to fix this! It wasn't happening before, v5 and before. I remember that after a crash I was able to resume work immediately. Now you need PC restart or wait 4-5 minutes for crashed reaper.exe to disappear from the task manager.
can you not just "End Task" in Task manager? saves a complete reboot
Old 09-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #17
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by consicur7 View Post
Now that there seems to be quite a few of us suffering this problem, and I suspect many more are affected but ignorant of the issue, at what point does it become significant to the devs? Without sarcasm, is there critical mass number or similar?

For me personally, it is not a big issue more an annoyance. ut it does seem I'm not alone.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #18
fulvia

Did anyone find any solutions? I've recently upgrade to a new PC and am on Windows 11. This is happening with me. Had the new computer about two months and noticed this happening in the last few days.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:50 PM   #19
prphn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvia View Post
Did anyone find any solutions? I've recently upgrade to a new PC and am on Windows 11. This is happening with me. Had the new computer about two months and noticed this happening in the last few days.
in my case the reason are waves plugins, i've tried every single vst i have, but only after loading any of waves plugins, reaper will not end process after quit.
prphn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #20
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prphn View Post
in my case the reason are waves plugins, i've tried every single vst i have, but only after loading any of waves plugins, reaper will not end process after quit.
Do you have checked an option to unload VST plugins in Preferences? You can also try to move those plugins to dedicated/separate process.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #21
prphn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Do you have checked an option to unload VST plugins in Preferences? You can also try to move those plugins to dedicated/separate process.
thanks, i've tried to do so, but the problem is still here, strange thing btw, 'cause i do not have this problem on my laptop (win10, almost no updates, intel cpu). pc instead is amd, win10 with latest updates installed. maybe there's something wrong with 10 year old waves plugins... hmm?
Old 04-23-2023, 10:56 AM   #22
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prphn View Post
thanks, i've tried to do so, but the problem is still here, strange thing btw, 'cause i do not have this problem on my laptop (win10, almost no updates, intel cpu). pc instead is amd, win10 with latest updates installed. maybe there's something wrong with 10 year old waves plugins... hmm?
Fyi, old waves (both vst2 and vst3) don't support Reaper. They have info on their site which version started support Reaper for their vst3 plugins.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:17 AM   #23
prphn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Fyi, old waves (both vst2 and vst3) don't support Reaper. They have info on their site which version started support Reaper for their vst3 plugins.
Waves website:

Apr 21, 2016
We are pleased to announce that all Waves audio plugins are now fully supported in the REAPER 5.18 digital audio workstation on both Mac and PC.

mine are working fine, but again, same REAPER version on laptop does not have this issue