Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 AM   #1
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Default Video processor - scroll titles off screen? (SOLVED)

Hi,

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to turn out to be a dumb question, but 'hey ho'....

So, anyone know of a way to scroll overlaid text completely off screen (like rolling credits)?

Automating the Y position for either the standard 'overlay text' and Jon Tidey's enhanced text overlay can only scroll the text to the top or bottom of the screen and no further.

Cheers

Last edited by uncleswede; 05-07-2019 at 09:59 AM.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Hi,

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to turn out to be a dumb question, but 'hey ho'....

So, anyone know of a way to scroll overlaid text completely off screen (like rolling credits)?

Automating the Y position for either the standard 'overlay text' and Jon Tidey's enhanced text overlay can only scroll the text to the top or bottom of the screen and no further.

Cheers
Hello uncleswede,

it is possible by changing the preset code a bit. In the top of the program window you find the parameter code. For example:

Code:
//@param3:xpos 'x position' 0 0 1 0.5 0.01
The second and third number are standing for the min and max value of that parameter. In this case the x-position ranges from 0 to 1, which indicates that it will range from the left border to the right border. You can change this range to -1 and 2 what leads into values outside of the screen.

Code:
//@param3:xpos 'x position' 0 -1 2 0.5 0.01
After the change you have to make sure that you press strg+s to save the changes. And if you want to save the whole preset as a new one, make sure you hit the +menu and save the new preset under a fitting name like "Text overlay with off screen".

You can use that method to also change the y-position and any other parameter.
-First number is the default value (double click),
-second and third are min and max values,
-fourth is the centered value (for biased range? idk)
-last value means the interpolation

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
After the change you have to make sure that you press strg+s to save the changes. And if you want to save the whole preset as a new one, make sure you hit the +menu and save the new preset under a fitting name like "Text overlay with off screen".
I'm not the OP but I just tried that but I can't seem to make the changes persistent.

First I save as new preset, then I hit Ctrl+S, in both cases my changes seem to be reverted. (Note: For demonstration I edit the comment and not the actual code but makes no difference here.)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

edit:
Got it.
Save preset under new name, make changes, Ctrl+S, Save preset (overwrite) works.

Last edited by nofish; 05-06-2019 at 05:45 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Hello uncleswede,

it is possible by changing the preset code a bit. In the top of the program window you find the parameter code. For example:

Code:
//@param3:xpos 'x position' 0 0 1 0.5 0.01
The second and third number are standing for the min and max value of that parameter. In this case the x-position ranges from 0 to 1, which indicates that it will range from the left border to the right border. You can change this range to -1 and 2 what leads into values outside of the screen.

Code:
//@param3:xpos 'x position' 0 -1 2 0.5 0.01

You can use that method to also change the y-position and any other parameter.
-First number is the default value (double click),
-second and third are min and max values,
-fourth is the centered value (for biased range? idk)
-last value means the interpolation

Hope that helps a bit.
That works, thanks :-)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I'm not the OP but I just tried that but I can't seem to make the changes persistent.

First I save as new preset, then I hit Ctrl+S, in both cases my changes seem to be reverted. (Note: For demonstration I edit the comment and not the actual code but makes no difference here.)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

edit:
Got it.
Save preset under new name, make changes, Ctrl+S, Save preset (overwrite) works.
The process should be:

1) edit preset
2) Ctrl+S to commit the changes (and test that the thing actually works/compiles!)
3) Preset menu -> save preset

Do that, and it should work reliably.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:37 AM   #6
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The process should be:

1) edit preset
2) Ctrl+S to commit the changes (and test that the thing actually works/compiles!)
3) Preset menu -> save preset

Do that, and it should work reliably.
It works, thanks for getting back.
(Now I remember that I didn't try that because I assumed step 1) + 2) would overwrite the original (unedited) preset, but that's not the case. )
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote