Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default Arch-based distro users: Can you run Nil's K1v or Speedrum Lite?

Arch-based distro users: Can you run Nil's K1v or Speedrum Lite?

I'm just curious if any of you Arch-based distro users have found a way to use the above two plugins.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Arch-based distro users: Can you run Nil's K1v or Speedrum Lite?

I'm just curious if any of you Arch-based distro users have found a way to use the above two plugins.
Nil's K1v works on my Manjaro install. I don't have the other one.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Nil's K1v works on my Manjaro install. I don't have the other one.
Interesting! How would one go about installing it on Manjaro? I didn't see it in the AUR and I didn't see the source. :-)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Download the .deb package. Open with archive manager. Extract "data" archive from it. Open "data" archive, find the binaries, put in VST folders.

I got the VST2 one working. The VST3 one crashed Reaper. I ran ldd on both and I wasn't missing dependencies, so I'm not sure why that happened.

I prefer Surge anyway.

As for Speedrum Lite: what's the problem? The binaries are there in the .tar.gz archive file. (It's not specific to Debian or something.) Did you try putting them in your plugin directory?

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-26-2021 at 05:22 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Download the .deb package. Open with archive manager. Extract "data" archive from it. Open "data" archive, find the binaries, put in VST folders.

I got the VST2 one working. The VST3 one crashed Reaper. I ran ldd on both and I wasn't missing dependencies, so I'm not sure why that happened.

I prefer Surge anyway.

As for Speedrum Lite: what's the problem? The binaries are there in the .tar.gz archive file. (It's not specific to Debian or something.) Did you try putting them in your plugin directory?
Wow!! Interesting!! I had no idea that was possible (or easy)! I’ve had no problem with them because I use Debian, but I was curious as to what Arch-based users would do if they wanted those apps. I actually like the K1V for its authentic old-school sound. But it is sort of a “hack” to get it going, isn’t it? I guess WINE with Windows versions would likely work as well. Cheers!
Old 07-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:

I prefer Surge anyway.

I only have the VST2 version installed and it consists of nothing but a folder named lxvst with the file libNilsK1v.so inside it.

It's an 80s sounding thing like the old Roland MT32, so it has a specific flavor/color that I figger is one to have in the toolbox/palette.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #7
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
But it is sort of a “hack” to get it going, isn’t it? I guess WINE with Windows versions would likely work as well.
Not at all. It's a binary and its dependencies are met on Manjaro (at least on my system) without even having to add any myself. How is that a hack? You don't think Debian at its core is somehow 100% different from Arch, do you? The differences between various "bases" of distros is more about how the pieces fit together, how each one presents itself to the user in various ways, and their workflow.

If a dependency weren't met, or it were a different version required, and I somehow "forced" it to work, that would be different.

What would Debian have done with that .deb file anyway? Dropped the .so file into the VST plugin folder. It's the same thing I did. Of course that won't be as easy for other programs (and even some VST plugins, which require various other folders to be in either relative or absolute directories which the plugin is programmed to find). But for a plugin like this, it's very easy.

Anyway compare what I did to what you're considering. I extracted a binary built with all dependencies properly met on my system, from an archive (not tricky to open, .debs are just archives which can be opened by any archive manager). You're considering using the Windows version with Wine and Yabridge (or other bridge)...and you consider what I did to be a hack? LOL!

Installing things properly is advised for anything which isn't as simple as a plugin with a single .so file. That way the package manager can handle it in the ways it should (keeping up on any dependency issues, allowing a person to uninstall it from the package manager, being able to update it from the package manager). But this is like what you'd do in Windows for the Windows version: a DLL file goes in the VST folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
It's an 80s sounding thing like the old Roland MT32, so it has a specific flavor/color that I figger is one to have in the toolbox/palette.
I can get sounds like that easily enough in Surge, and it has more options, so I'll use Surge instead. I'm not trying to get 100% authenticity to a synth I never owned or even really cared much about when it was around. I wasn't really thinking about synths other than "what the hell was Van Halen using?!?" at the time.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-26-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
I can get sounds like that easily enough in Surge, and it has more options, so I'll use Surge instead. I'm not trying to get 100% authenticity to a synth I never owned or even really cared much about when it was around. I wasn't really thinking about synths other than "what the hell was Van Halen using?!?" at the time.
Yeah, but can you just run through the stock patches on Surge and find the same palette of timbres as as a VSTi that emulates a specific old skool piece of hardware? I'm all about getting shit done, and the more in the ball park a VSTi might be can be the difference between going off on a tangent and getting a song completed for me.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #9
JamesPeters

I already told you I don't care about that. Lol. I get it, you do. You probably used one back when the Earth was cooling.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
I already told you I don't care about that. Lol. I get it, you do. You probably used one back when the Earth was cooling.
I've had MIDI stuff all the way back to when the Earth was flat!

I was actually asked by Sequential Circuits in the 1980s for detailed step-by-step instructions on how to record multi-timbral sequences, using their Commodore 64 hardware based sequencer.

I had called them asking how to make it easier to do.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #11
JamesPeters

Sounds like someone was born to use Linux.