Old 11-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default Saving Project Backup

Hi I would like to have a portable saved version of all my projects for peace of mind. Is using portable install a way of doing this? When it says in the manual -plug the memory stick into a different computer when you're elsewhere "and away you go" presumably there won't be any 3rd party plugins working in the project (that's a supplementary question). The portable install looks easy and my brain understands it I think. If I do this will I still have everything on my original computer as well as the memory stick? I'm not intending to use it as a portable Reaper but it sounds like a simple way to save stuff which if possible I would like to utilize. Thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
serr

You could do something with Reaper backup features behind the scenes...

Better:
Just backup your hard drives nightly.
Sifting through your files and picking and choosing what to backup is a great way to screw up and lose something!

Cloning apps will copy entire hard drives (including and most importantly system drives). Schedule nightly backups.

The stock Time Machine app will copy everything but your OS. At least get an external drive and let that run! (Does Windows have a version of that? There are cloning apps available for Windows though just like for Mac.)

Put your projects into their own folders.
You can always manually copy the whole project folder to another drive right after working on it (rather than waiting for the nightly backup to run).

The entirety of "Computer 101" is really just understanding that your hard drive works like a file cabinet and knowing how to find and look at your stuff on it. Leading to understanding that "backing up" simply means making another copy on another hard drive. Leading to understanding that you can clone your OS drive and have another drive to boot your machine from in a pinch.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
ChrisBlue

ok thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Fabian

I use PathSync (https://www.cockos.com/pathsync/) to daily copy my entire Project directory to a second drive. And then, also using Pathsync I regularly copy the entire Project directory to a detachable USB disk, that I then keep in a safe place until the next time that I backup to it.

You cannot have enough backups. Having valuable stuff in three different places is the minimum. The extra valuable stuff, like finished projects, I copy to cloud storage and archive also there.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #5
Philbo King

Yep, PathSync is the bomb. I use it at the end of every recording session. It's important to understand the options and how they work...
Old 11-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
serr

Carbon Copy Cloner here. System drives have always been bootable and 100% identical.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote