Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
dodz
Human being with feelings

Default Audio item behavior (pitch)

Hello...I searched about this, but couldn't seem to find exactly what I'm after.

What setting do I have to change so that audio items playback 'unaltered' when pitching up and down? i.e.: If I pitch an item down, it's length should increase and vice versa.

I don't care about preserving the length and I don't want it doing anything that truncates or produces artifacts (in this case). I just want it to behave more like if you loaded a sound into a sampler and spread it across the whole keyboard.

Thanks!
dodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
domzy

untick "preserve pitch when changing rate" in item properties
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
dodz

this doesn't solve the issue AFAIK...wavform length stays the same when pitching up/down, which must mean time-stretch when pitching up and truncating when pitching down, no?

What I'm after is for the waveform to get longer if I decrease by 1 semitone or shrink if I increase. Sorry if it's really obvious...still finding out how to manage it all.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
serr

Is is in fact what domzy said. Untick "preserve pitch when changing rate" in item properties.

This is selection based like everything in Reaper. Selected items are the target. Unselected items will ignore you.

This is a bit bass ackwards of course. You need to untick the box to turn the "DJ tricks" mode off (ie separate pitch vs time manipulation). The old school tape deck style vari-speed mode is unticked. The default is ticked for unlinked pitch/time (ie DJ tricks mode).

Option-drag the item edges to stretch them.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
dodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Is is in fact what domzy said. Untick "preserve pitch when changing rate" in item properties.

This is selection based like everything in Reaper. Selected items are the target. Unselected items will ignore you.

This is a bit bass ackwards of course. You need to untick the box to turn the "DJ tricks" mode off (ie separate pitch vs time manipulation). The old school tape deck style vari-speed mode is unticked. The default is ticked for unlinked pitch/time (ie DJ tricks mode).

Option-drag the item edges to stretch them.
I understand this, and the option drag thing...the issue is with how it's applied. If I use the "Pitch Adjust (semitones)" dialogue to adjust, the length of the wav remains the same regardless. The pitch changes, but the length stays the same...I want the length to reflect the pitch adjustment (i.e.: lower pitches become longer waveforms)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodz View Post
I understand this, and the option drag thing...the issue is with how it's applied. If I use the "Pitch Adjust (semitones)" dialogue to adjust, the length of the wav remains the same regardless. The pitch changes, but the length stays the same...I want the length to reflect the pitch adjustment (i.e.: lower pitches become longer waveforms)
Aha! You are correct there. Typing in a value doesn't lead to the item length snapping into place to match. Looks like this was never considered?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
bobobo

changing pitch (using an selectable algo) is not the same as changing playrate.

use "Item: Set item end to source media end" (Action Id 40612) for the items witch changed playrate

made a demo showing both ways to change pitch
https://stash.reaper.fm/37582/pitch_and_playrate.zip
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote