Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Default Can I simulate the Randall Satan on Reaper?

Ok, I'm as nOOb as it gets when it comes to DAWs and because of that I'm SOOOO thankful for this webpage I found:

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#6fz9wDv-mE0

I'm on vacation from my job for the next two weeks starting tomorrow and want to spend my vacation really learning how to use this DAW as well as doing a lot of guitar practice because I just got a guitar and started taking lessons about a month ago.

That being said, I had a huge noob question:

Since in a DAW, you can download simulations of amps, amp head, cabs and even affect pedals, can I simulate the Randall Satan? That's like a 3,000 dollar amp head! It'll be years before I can afford it. And what's worse, is that the Satan has been discontinued! So by the time I can afford it, i'll be really difficult for me to find it.....so can I just simulate that specific amp in Reaper? If so, how?
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 7,269
Default

Not to discourage your enthusiasm but there is a long road ahead of you... Give yourself at least a year of practice before considering a $3000 hobby purchase. I've been playing 25 years and I still wouldn't consider it, as I don't make any money playing guitar. Practice is far more important to developing tone anyway.

But if you're up for lots of learning and frustration (as well as lots of fun) on the endless road to mastery, I'd suggest starting with Emissary (head sim) and NadIR (speaker sim):
http://www.igniteamps.com/
and some decent free speaker impulse files :
https://pluginfox.co/products/catharsis-impulses
https://laptopguitarist.com/2016/12/...se-collection/
You don't even need to like Metallica, they just sound great for metal tones. Quality IR files are key to getting realistic tone in the box and there are millions out there. These remain some of the best freebies available.

Just download them, put them in your plugin folder (preferences/vst) and load them on a track.

Best of luck!
__________________
Myyy Wyyyrd Music
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Not to discourage your enthusiasm but there is a long road ahead of you... Give yourself at least a year of practice before considering a $3000 hobby purchase. I've been playing 25 years and I still wouldn't consider it, as I don't make any money playing guitar. Practice is far more important to developing tone anyway.

But if you're up for lots of learning and frustration (as well as lots of fun) on the endless road to mastery, I'd suggest starting with Emissary (head sim) and NadIR (speaker sim):
http://www.igniteamps.com/
and some decent free speaker impulse files :
https://pluginfox.co/products/catharsis-impulses
https://laptopguitarist.com/2016/12/...se-collection/
You don't even need to like Metallica, they just sound great for metal tones. Quality IR files are key to getting realistic tone in the box and there are millions out there. These remain some of the best freebies available.

Just download them, put them in your plugin folder (preferences/vst) and load them on a track.

Best of luck!
thanks! that's not discouraging at all. i know i got a long road ahead of me. There's something I'm doing right now where I'm currently learning "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll" by ACDC as my 'first song' because I think it would be ironic for me to learn that song first haha.

I'm also currently using fenderapp to learn the guitar at the moment, and I'm just using the clean sound out of my studio monitors while doing those lessons and I don't even plug in my guitar whenever I'm doing dexterity exercises when doing the chromatic scale.

But if I wanted to simulate the Randall Satan instead of paying 3,000 bucks several years down the road, can I do that on a DAW?

Also, thanks for those links! I'll definetly check them out.
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 7,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerplayer666 View Post
But if I wanted to simulate the Randall Satan instead of paying 3,000 bucks several years down the road, can I do that on a DAW?
I'm not aware of any simulation of that specific amp (I also didn't look), but you'll find that metal tones are actually some of the easiest to get with plugins (rich clean tones are much more difficult).

I checked out some demos of that amp and I personally don't find anything special about it, though it does seem versatile as metal heads go. I think you can get similar tones though yea.

Something to keep in mind is that amp sims cannot replicate the experience of playing through a loud amp; they are emulating the sound of an amp already recorded with microphones in a room. That's an important distinction because the quality of the room acoustics can have a dramatic affect on mic recordings. So even if you get that $3k amp and dial it in to perfection, you'll still face the challenge of capturing it accurately.

Another problem with tube amps is that they don't often sound good quiet. You have to drive the tubes to their sweet spot and that high volume requirement can be a huge problem, depending on your living situation.

You might check out BiasAmp. It's modeling all the amp components separately, so you might be able to cobble together something that sounds very similar if you break down the architecture of the Satan. It also includes a feature that will automatically match tones if you have isolated recordings of what you want.
__________________
Myyy Wyyyrd Music
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,469
Default

I believe Hellbeast is meant to be pretty close to the Satan: https://www.audio-assault.com/hellbeast.php

$70 is a bit easier than $3000, and Audio Assault's stuff goes on sale for dirt-cheap once in a while too.
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Strange Ways
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago-ish, IL USA
Posts: 59
Default

There's an amp sim called Blades that was put out by an independent developer recently that was designed to mimic a Randall Satan. You can download a demo at http://pvamps.blogspot.com/. Since it's just the head, you'll need an IR cab.
Strange Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
Reason
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 780
Default

So much tone is in your fingers. While a JTM45 is going to sound a lot different than a Mark IV, I recommend not getting too focused on the "right" gear.

Ignite's Emissary is a great place to start. LePou's plugins are also good. There are tons more freebies, but I'd start with Emissary.
Reason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #8
beginnerplayer666
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
So much tone is in your fingers. While a JTM45 is going to sound a lot different than a Mark IV, I recommend not getting too focused on the "right" gear.

Ignite's Emissary is a great place to start. LePou's plugins are also good. There are tons more freebies, but I'd start with Emissary.
Dude I just installed Emissary yesterday. I found out about it from spectersoundstudio on youtube and Emissary is perfect! I did have to download a noise gate simulator to fight some fuzz sound but I'm good now.

Thanks for all the info everybody! I'll definitely check out the other stuff you guys mentioned too. I learned a whole lot in this thread.

Yeah as for getting real amps and capturing the sound and all that stuff, I'm honestly not ready to do that right now. For now, I'm using Reaper for a specific music project I'm working on, and to use it to explore different tones without having to spend anything. I'm not going to spend anymore money on gear for now except for a camera I'm saving up for until I'm skilled enough to play some quality music. That alone is gonna take me a long while.
beginnerplayer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.