Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Windows Tablet is now a Linux Tablet

The very last device in the house that was still running Windows is now running Xubuntu 22.04. I had to trick it into letting me install 64 bit Xubuntu, by first installing the last 32 bit version of Linux Mint. Then installing 64 bit Xubuntu as a second OS.

This tablet uses an Intel BayTrail CPU which needs to boot 32 bit UEFI, but then can boot 64 bit thereafter. The Windows 8.1 that came with the tablet expired January 10th 2023, and the 32 bit Mint I installed on it expires in a few days.

Installing Mint first, created the 32 bit Grub loader the tablet needed, then installing 64 bit Xubuntu as a second OS lets it boot Grub 32 bit, and then default to load 64 bit Xubuntu.

Lots of stuff still doesn't work yet, like automatic screen rotation, and a right click equivalent touch gesture, but I've got a virtual keyboard, and for the most part I am able to get around by touch screen only. Now I'll get a few more years out of this tablet.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:09 PM   #2
Wallaby

Default yes

Glennbo can't hide it !
He is a huge YES fan !
Wonderful songs !
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:12 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Glennbo can't hide it !
He is a huge YES fan !
I freely admit that I am now a full fledged Linux and YES fanboi!

Quote:
Wonderful songs !
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2023, 11:19 PM   #4
clepsydrae

I will never understand why the boot process has to be so damn complicated. Dealing with bootloaders and grub and UEFI and all of that is some of the most frustrating and unpleasant time I have spent with computers. I trust that the übergeeks that design all this stuff have their reasons... I just wish it wasn't such a PITA to navigate.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:56 AM   #5
fabio77

And again a cool project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Lots of stuff still doesn't work yet, like automatic screen rotation, and a right click equivalent touch gesture, but I've got a virtual keyboard, and for the most part I am able to get around by touch screen only.
Do you think a Kubuntu (KDE) or normal Ubuntu (Gnome) would solve this?
fabio77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:42 AM   #6
audiojunkie

If you ever need to reinstall, you can save the disk space from installing two oses by using a single file:

https://medium.com/@realzedgoat/a-so...s-d39b1d1961ec

The issue is with a 64 bit CPU with a 32 bit UEFI BIOS.

https://github.com/hirotakaster/bayt...r/bootia32.efi
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #7
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I will never understand why the boot process has to be so damn complicated. Dealing with bootloaders and grub and UEFI and all of that is some of the most frustrating and unpleasant time I have spent with computers. I trust that the übergeeks that design all this stuff have their reasons... I just wish it wasn't such a PITA to navigate.
It's intentionally kept that way to dissuade casual users from installing 'not recommended' software such as Linux/BSD. If it was easy many, many more people would do it. Just look at how complicated phone manufacturers design their bootloader unlocking process, just to demotivate you so that they can keep spying on you and extract data.

EDIT: M$ even does that stupid b*tch trick where they lock the hard drive if you do regular shutdown, so you can't install a new OS on it. You have to know the 'trick', which is to reboot instead of shutdown, and then hope to catch the boot menu fast enough before Windows starts loading, which locks the hard drive again. There are many expletives I can throw at them right now...
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:16 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
There was another dimension of difficulty in getting the tablet setup, which is that it has only *one* USB port that is for charging, but with an OTG cable, can be used for normal USB stuff.

I had to buy a cheap USB hub so I could have both a USB keyboard plugged in, and the flash drive to install from. Then I'd have to take breaks and unplug the hub and plug in the power for a while. It is getting easier the more I get it setup though.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:25 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
And again a cool project
Thanks Fabio. I'm having a blast seeing how far I can go with it.

Quote:
Do you think a Kubuntu (KDE) or normal Ubuntu (Gnome) would solve this?
I may try some other distros, but I am making a lot of progress with Xubuntu. This morning I created a couple of launchers to select Landscape or Portrait which sets both the display *and* the touch tracking to sync up. I've also got Firefox now responding to touch, which took a new line in a .conf file.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
If you ever need to reinstall, you can save the disk space from installing two oses by using a single file:

https://medium.com/@realzedgoat/a-so...s-d39b1d1961ec

The issue is with a 64 bit CPU with a 32 bit UEFI BIOS.

https://github.com/hirotakaster/bayt...r/bootia32.efi
I did exactly what the first link outlines with my Asus Transformer Tablet a year or so back, but something has changed with UNetbootin, which is what I used before.

When I created the flash for my Transformer Tablet, I used UNetbootin, and it made a bootable flash that I could add files to, in particular "bootia32.efi". This time with a newer version of UNetbootin, it would still let me add files, but the tablet wouldn't boot from it, which led me to try installing a 32 bit version of Linux.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:41 AM   #11
michael diemer

Awesome job Glennbo. I am also a big Yes fan. They are one of my two favorite bands, the other being the Moody Blues (of naturally, as I'm into classical music. And their music, especially Days Of Future Passed, is so symphonic).

BTW, I managed once to get Puppy Linux installed on a Gateway 2000, 32 bit, Pentium II, with 16 MB ram initially; I maxed it out at 340MB. It came with Windows 95, which I had upgraded to W@ 98. The PL install worked for awhile, but ended up toasting the hard drive, so I had to jump through a ton of hoops to reinstall W98, on the huge secondary drive (5-GB!)in case my wife ever used it again (she hasn't; always says she will, and thus I have not been able to retire this ancient though venerable machine. Those were the days when a computer came with about 20 CDs - Encarta, Steets USA, etc). So it still works, with a very old version of Cakewalk home Studio still installed and working, with the GM set that came with the Ensoniq sound card.

Last edited by michael diemer; 01-18-2023 at 10:47 AM.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Awesome job Glennbo. I am also a big Yes fan. They are one of my two favorite bands, the other being the Moody Blues (of naturally, as I'm into classical music. And their music, especially Days Of Future Passed, is so symphonic).
Thanks Michael. I played in both the orchestral band and the jazz band in school, which made me gravitate toward progressive rock music like Yes. Bill Bruford is one of my biggest influences on drums, and Chris Squire is one of my biggest influences on bass. John McLaughlin is my heaviest influence on guitar, but I'm not even on the same planet as him, when it comes to playing.

Quote:
BTW, I managed once to get Puppy Linux installed on a Gateway 2000, 32 bit, Pentium II, with 16 MB ram initially; I maxed it out at 340MB. It came with Windows 95, which I had upgraded to W@ 98. The PL install worked for awhile, but ended up toasting the hard drive, so I had to jump through a ton of hoops to reinstall W98, on the huge secondary drive (5-GB!)in case my wife ever used it again (she hasn't; always says she will, and thus I have not been able to retire this ancient though venerable machine. Those were the days when a computer came with about 20 CDs - Encarta, Steets USA, etc). So it still works, with a very old version of Cakewalk home Studio still installed and working, with the GM set that came with the Ensoniq sound card.
It can be a whole lot of work to get things sorted on older hardware, but once you wrestle the 500 lb. gorilla to the floor, it makes the effort worth while.

Speaking of the gorilla, I just got over the last hurdle with this tablet, which was right clicking. Turns out that the on screen keyboard "onboard" has a mouse key, and when it's pressed a two finger tap on the screen does the equivalent of a right mouse click.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:14 PM   #13
michael diemer

I once toyed with the idea of doing a Hackintosh, but I guess Apple has done something to their chips to make that impossible now. Another cool thing to do is to put Linux on a chrome-book. Haven't done that either, but it looks pretty easy. This stuff can be fun to do, and also is good for the environment as it reduces the electronic junk that ends up as floating plastic islands.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:43 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
This stuff can be fun to do, and also is good for the environment as it reduces the electronic junk that ends up as floating plastic islands.
I repurpose every machine when a new one comes online. When I built the Ryzen 3700X DAW I use now, I put my previous Intel i5 DAW mobo into an HTPC case, and set it up as a MythTV server that now runs 24/7 in the studio closet.