Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default U-he Repro problems in Reaper

Hello,

I recently jumped in on the Native Instruments U-he sale and bought Hive 2 and Repro. I already had Diva. I use the current version of Reaper and I also use Ardour. As I understand it, there are VST2 and VST3 versions of this plugin in the same installer. I have all three synths installed, however, Diva and Hive 2 show up as VST2 instruments, and Repro shows up as a VST effect. I'd like the VST3 versions to show up as well, but that's not my worst problem--my biggest issue is that Repro doesn't recognize midi input in Reaper. I suspect that this is because it is showing up as a VST effect. I can play Repro by clicking on the keyboard in the GUI, but it does not recognize any Midi input in Reaper. Midi works fine with all of my other plugins in Reaper--only Repro doesn't see any Midi. I am using the current stable versions of the synthesizers. Repro's is: Repro 1.1.2 - revision 12092. I am using the current version of Reaper (Version 6.73). Everything seems to be working fine in Ardour. I have completely uninstalled Reaper (including the configurations, ini file, etc). I reinstalled and tried again--same problem. I uninstalled the U-he apps by deleting the plugin folder as well as the VST2 and VST3 plugin file, located in the following directories:

Plugin folder: /home/YourUserName/.u-he/PluginName
VST2 plugin: /home/YourUserName/.vst/u-he/PluginName.64.so
VST3 plugin: /home/YourUserName/.vst3/u-he/PluginName.vst3

I reinstalled, and I still get the same problem. Reaper has the above locations as paths.

I use the current version of Fedora Linux (Fedora Workstation 37). All of my other plugins work fine, in both Ardour and Reaper. Based on all of this information, I would suspect the problem to be something with Reaper not recognizing Repro properly. However, if that were the case, I would expect to search and find that others have had the same problem. I haven't found any mentions of this anywhere on the internet. I am trying to trouble shoot this issue from both ends: Reaper support and U-he support. Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this problem?

Thank you in advance!
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:24 PM   #2
dylan.w

I have nothing super constructive to add, other than mentioning that the current demo of Repro works here for me in the current version of Reaper. That includes the VST3. Midi works also.

I just installed via the install.sh script that comes with u-he linux downloads.

Is it showing as a blacklisted plugin in Reaper under VST settings - the dropdown menu under 'rescan' button? I assume you've probably looked there already.
dylan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:30 AM   #3
swindus

Yes, same here. Repro works without problems in Reaper (VST2 and VST3).
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:34 AM   #4
audiojunkie

OK, thanks for letting me know guys! I have learned that reaper has a problem loading VSTis that contain two plugins, so it may be related to the problem. It’s good that it’s working for others. 🙂
Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Hmm reaper loading Repro fine on Linux here, just installed Repro-1-12092 from their web site, which installed the following files:
Code:
.vst3/u-he
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/Resources
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/Resources/Documentation
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/Resources/Documentation/Repro-1 user guide.pdf
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/Resources/Documentation/Repro-5 user guide.pdf
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/i686-linux
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/x86_64-linux
.vst3/u-he/Repro-1.vst3/Contents/x86_64-linux/Repro-1.so
.vst/u-he
.vst/u-he/Repro-1.64.so
I then ran REAPER, and that gave me 4 new FX in the browser:
Code:
VST: Repro-1
VST: Repro-5
VST3i: Repro-1 (u-he)
VST3i: Repro-5 (u-he)
The VST2 versions aren't listed as VSTi due to the appropriate flag not being set in their code, however they still receive MIDI and work properly despite this shortcoming.

Quote:
OK, thanks for letting me know guys! I have learned that reaper has a problem loading VSTis that contain two plugins, so it may be related to the problem. It’s good that it’s working for others. ��
What are you seeing? REAPER has no issue loading shell plug-ins that contain multiple FX.

Last edited by Justin; 01-18-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:49 PM   #6
4duhwinnn

When using vst as opposed to vsti in reaper, you may need to switch your audio input on the plugin, between System and your Midi: device. Repro is silent when routed to System, but the vst version and vsti3 versions all work fine when routed to Midi:. I trick myself on a regular basis after using Axiom and Amplitube as vsts, then later, the Repro's are silent 'til I change their track routing destiny.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:42 AM   #7
FeedTheCat

Interesting... I can confirm part of the issue on my laptop linux install. Repro-1.vst3 shows up under "plugins that failed to scan", so I don't have access to the VST3 versions of Repro-1 and Repro-5. The VST2 versions work just fine though.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:29 AM   #8
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Interesting... I can confirm part of the issue on my laptop linux install. Repro-1.vst3 shows up under "plugins that failed to scan", so I don't have access to the VST3 versions of Repro-1 and Repro-5. The VST2 versions work just fine though.
The worst part is that both companies are pointing the finger of blame at each other. Nothing will be done about the problem, it seems.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:31 AM   #9
PMan

Have you tried running Reaper from the terminal?
Sometimes runtime errors will show up there.

I understand your frustration... but the devs can't fix a problem if it doesn't show up on their machine, or we give them some kind of information.

Maybe try running it from the terminal, and then 4duwinnn's suggestion.
HTH
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:43 AM   #10
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Have you tried running Reaper from the terminal?
Sometimes runtime errors will show up there.

I understand your frustration... but the devs can't fix a problem if it doesn't show up on their machine, or we give them some kind of information.

Maybe try running it from the terminal, and then 4duwinnn's suggestion.
HTH
Yes, I have tried running from the terminal. However, there are no errors, because the program runs--the .vst version, that is. It just doesn't accept Midi.

As for VST3, my system doesn't show any VST3 plugins for Repro.

I'll have to look into 4duwinn's suggestion...
Old 01-25-2023, 11:04 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What are you seeing? REAPER has no issue loading shell plug-ins that contain multiple FX.
I've had the Repro demo installed on my machine for a long time, so what I just tested isn't the latest and while REAPER loaded the VST2 versions fine, REAPER vaporized on both of the VST3 versions.

So, I deleted all traces of Repro, then downloaded and installed the current version of the demo, and all four work now, so something has changed between the time I first installed the demo and now, but at least on my Manjaro DAW machine, both the VST2 and VST3 versions appear to be functioning.

I would suggest first deleting all traces of the plugins, then download the latest installers directly from U-He. Although I was seeing a different problem, it made a difference on my machine.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
So, I deleted all traces of Repro, then downloaded and installed the current version of the demo, and all four work now
Yup, deleting the traces worked... nice!
Old 01-25-2023, 11:36 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Yup, deleting the traces worked... nice!
Veddy cool! Glad that worked.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:53 PM   #14
audiojunkie

I did that all once already, but I didn't re-download the plugin package. It's worth a try.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:26 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I did that all once already, but I didn't re-download the plugin package. It's worth a try.
I would get the installers directly from U-He and not from NI.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:10 AM   #16
audiojunkie

That’s where I got them from. But I’ll download and try again
Old 01-26-2023, 06:34 AM   #17
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
That’s where I got them from. But I’ll download and try again
Make sure to delete the Repro-1.vst3 folder at ~/.vst3/u-he/
Old 02-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #18
DuX

No problems with VST2 Repro-1 and 5 here, too, except for it being recognised as VST not VSTi. Receives MIDI normally. However, it is looks a bit weird and it would be nice if it was recognised as VSTi. Regarding VST3 u-he plugins I read somewhere (KVR probably) they recommend VST2 versions of their plugins. Was it just for Linux I can't remember.

I hope you managed to resolve the problem AudioJunkie!
Old 02-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #19
audiojunkie

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to go back and even look at my linux laptop system in the last couple of weeks. I plan to go through everything again with a new download, but I just haven't had the chance. I've been having to spend more time at work the last few weeks. I'll definitely keep everyone posted when I do get a chance to revisit the issue.