Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-16-2023, 10:32 AM   #1
/AND/
Human being with feelings

Default Windows- and Mac-only plugin developers

I updated my Wine and the locale broke. Now I can't run yabridge, which means that I can't open a particular project I'm working on until I find a fix. This is the third time.

The only reason I have yabridge and Wine is because I run a few Windows plugins, because developers didn't make Linux versions. Not anymore. Scr*w Windows-only and Mac-only plugin developers. I'm not using nor paying for their plugins anymore from this moment on, until they release a Linux version. They have CLAP, they have VST3 extensions for Linux, they are just goddamn lazy, and I had enough of their laziness. I'm going to be using exclusively Linux-compatible plugins from now on, and sample some Windows ones before I throw them away, will break their copyright, scr*w them.

Sorry for the rant.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:55 AM   #2
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
I updated my Wine and the locale broke. Now I can't run yabridge, which means that I can't open a particular project I'm working on until I find a fix. This is the third time.

The only reason I have yabridge and Wine is because I run a few Windows plugins, because developers didn't make Linux versions. Not anymore. Scr*w Windows-only and Mac-only plugin developers. I'm not using nor paying for their plugins anymore from this moment on, until they release a Linux version. They have CLAP, they have VST3 extensions for Linux, they are just goddamn lazy, and I had enough of their laziness. I'm going to be using exclusively Linux-compatible plugins from now on, and sample some Windows ones before I throw them away, will break their copyright, scr*w them.

Sorry for the rant.
Wow, that comes across as a little rude. To claim someone is "goddamn lazy" because they don't make Linux binaries is a little misguided. I don't consider you lazy because you don't personally mow my lawn even though I'd like you to How about you/we consider that Linux support is complex in terms of distros, package management, dependencies etc especially if the developer is not familiar with Linux. Is it financially worth their time to add a handful more users for many hours of work? To say scr*w someone because they don't do exactly what you want is, well, quite special. Learn to code and make your own Linux native plugins

If you are sorry about your rant, you have the power to delete it. Fair enough if you don't want to use Windows plugins any longer. But the simple advice is: don't update wine if everything is working...

Last edited by chmaha; 01-16-2023 at 11:03 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
/AND/

I guess you are right. But I'm still pissed off at developers for ignoring Linux. Now with Clap they can do platform-independent plugins, so the ball is in their half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
Learn to code and make your own Linux native plugins

If you are sorry about your rant, you have the power to delete it. Fair enough if you don't want to use Windows plugins any longer. But the simple advice is: don't update wine if everything is working...
Ahh, can't do that, I've studied so many things in my life thoroughly, don't have the time for it. I would otherwise, really. Yeah, I shouldn't have updated Wine, but I will have to do it eventually anyway so ...

Anyway, I'll delete the rant in awhile, thanks for your reply.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
michael diemer

I understand the frustration. I got to a similar point awhile ago re: dongles, which prevent me from running two of my best orchestral libraries. Going all-native Linux is so tempting. I would be there but for the fact that I need orchestral libraries. fortunately, with Kontakt I now have what I need. Garritan Personal Orchestra also works fine with Wine. I prefer LinVST to Yabridge, never had any problems with it.

When the frustration boils over, and you can't do what you want to do, sometimes you just need to vent a little. If things stop working for me, I'll be equally (if not more) upset about it. But that's where you need to take a deep breath, and realize that when you do music on Linux, it's not going to be easy. And although everything may work now, it may stop at any time, for reasons beyond your control. for example, I don't believe Native Access 2 or kontakt 7 work on Linux. no problem, I'll stay with what I have. But you have to keep up with things. I check the NI forum now and then. As well as this place, which I check constantly. That way you can avoid potential problems.

Going Native Linux will solve most if not all your problems. If you can find the tools you need, you're much better off. I wish I could.

As to sympathy for the devil (so to speak), chmaha makes some good points. but these large corporations like Micro and Apple could quite easily accommodate Linux, if they really wanted to. The smaller developers might have more trouble. Short of a financial motive, they're just not likely to. but it sure would be a nice goodwill gesture! I might be less negative toward windows, and windows-only software, and would therefore be more likely to use it again, at least in limited situations. As of now, I avoid it like the plague, only going on it if absolutely necessary.

Last edited by michael diemer; 01-16-2023 at 11:40 AM.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:06 PM   #5
axel_ef

Quote:
The only reason I have yabridge and Wine is because I run a few Windows plugins, because developers didn't make Linux versions.
Which plugins are these?
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:21 AM   #6
Steve9600

Did you run yabridgectl sync after the upgrade?
Old 01-17-2023, 05:24 AM   #7
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
Which plugins are these?
I use just a few, really:

- MT-PowerDrumKit 2
- Ample Guitar M2 Lite
- Ample Bass Lite
- Numa Player
- Spitfire Audio LABS

That's it. But I will find replacements or sample them ASAP and be done with them.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:25 AM   #8
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9600 View Post
Did you run yabridgectl sync after the upgrade?
I did. Didn't solve the problem, it solved itself with a reboot and by deleting the Wine locale, but I'm not in the mood to pray to God in order to keep everything working. Better to decrease complexity and not use Wine / yabridge / etc. altogether for audio.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:27 AM   #9
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I understand the frustration. ...
Thanks for your reply Michael. I agree with you, with the exception that I was simpy amazed how many good plugins there already are for Linux. I can replace most of what I use, and sample the rest. I'm done with this frustration, would rather spend that energy on creating my music
Old 01-17-2023, 06:01 AM   #10
Steve9600

Glad to works now…i use midiguitar2 from jamorigin they probably will never support Linux but it runs without issue in wine with wineasio. The vsts work that’s what I really use. Using Linux plugins and apps otherwise.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #11
audiojunkie

Quote:
I guess you are right. But I'm still pissed off at developers for ignoring Linux. Now with Clap they can do platform-independent plugins, so the ball is in their half.

Ahh, can't do that, I've studied so many things in my life thoroughly, don't have the time for it. I would otherwise, really. Yeah, I shouldn't have updated Wine, but I will have to do it eventually anyway so ...

Anyway, I'll delete the rant in awhile, thanks for your reply.
I recommend not deleting the rant. Someone in the future who reads this thread may not understand what's going on, without your original message as context. We all get frustrated at times, so this thread could actually be helpful to someone in the future.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #12
audiojunkie

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Michael. I agree with you, with the exception that I was simpy amazed how many good plugins there already are for Linux. I can replace most of what I use, and sample the rest. I'm done with this frustration, would rather spend that energy on creating my music
This is exactly what I do. I run native apps only. I use Bliss Sampler (or make my own SFZ files manually) to copy patches and presets that I want. It's not perfect, but it is quite workable. These SFZ files will also load just fine into Tal-Sampler, Bliss, LinuxSampler, Sfizz, etc., so you are future-proofing your set up.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:55 AM   #13
axel_ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
This is exactly what I do. I run native apps only.
That's how I do it too.
SFZero and reasamplomatic can also be used well.
I will never understand why people install Linux and then use Windows software.

https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums
https://github.com/sfzinstruments/sf...ents.github.io

to create your own soundfonts (sf2, sf3, sfz and sfArk)
https://github.com/davy7125/polyphone
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:06 PM   #14
zengine

I did the exact same thing when starting. Mucked around with yabridge to get the komplete suite working as well as my many other Windows plugins but it was frustrating as hell.

So native linux only now and really I will not spend another cent on plugin developers that do not support linux.

Some great ones that i have found that may replace some of the plugins that you are using are:

U-He: everything is amazing and supports native Linux
Audio Assualt: Guitar amps that sound wonderful (The Crown, Sigma, Shibalba, etc..) I also use their channel strip and EQ plugs
Audio Damage: EOS is a great reverb plugin, Desert City for whacky delays.
Ugritone: I replaced My toontrack libs with Ugritone drums....they don't advertise a linux version on the site but they do have one if you buy them
DecentSampler is starting to get some good libraries for orchestra sounds.

I also use BitWig as well which comes with some good woodwinds and string libs too.

Anyway hope that helps and I totally get your frustration but it is changing and hopefully with CLAP it accelerates.
zengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:47 PM   #15
wastee

Have you tried wine-tkg 8.0 with yabridge 5.0.3? This combination is working great.

Sometime wine upgrade or yabridge upgrade may break for some reason. But you can always find information in yabridge's discord.

And remember to backup your wine prefix folder. Remember your wine version and yabridge version before upgrade. If something broken, you can always downgrade to make all back to normal.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #16
/AND/

Quote:
I recommend not deleting the rant. Someone in the future who reads this thread may not understand what's going on, without your original message as context. We all get frustrated at times, so this thread could actually be helpful to someone in the future.
OK, I am officially converting the rant from Windows- and Mac-only developers in general, to Windows- and Mac-only plugins + lazy developers.

Quote:
That's how I do it too.

https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums
https://github.com/sfzinstruments/sf...ents.github.io

to create your own soundfonts (sf2, sf3, sfz and sfArk)
https://github.com/davy7125/polyphone
Thanks for the recommendations, will try them out. Well, I used Windows plugins because I recently jumped ship from FL Studio, which is Windows-only software. So my conversion to Linux was gradual, which included using some Windows-only plugins. But not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengine View Post
I did the exact same thing when starting. Mucked around with yabridge to get the komplete suite working as well as my many other Windows plugins but it was frustrating as hell.

So native linux only now and really I will not spend another cent on plugin developers that do not support linux.

Some great ones that i have found that may replace some of the plugins that you are using are:
Thanks, I agree with you, no more money for non-Linux developers. And thanks for the suggestions, will try them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastee View Post
Have you tried wine-tkg 8.0 with yabridge 5.0.3? This combination is working great.

Sometime wine upgrade or yabridge upgrade may break for some reason. But you can always find information in yabridge's discord.

And remember to backup your wine prefix folder. Remember your wine version and yabridge version before upgrade. If something broken, you can always downgrade to make all back to normal.
I actually do backups on the whole Toolbox container where I have it. However, between this upgrade then break possibility, latency because of Wine, and the general waste of time trying to figure it out how it can work or doing recovery from backups, I think decreasing complexity and doing away with Wine altogether would be a better choice in the long run. And of course pay for and use Linux-compatible plugins.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:37 AM   #17
robbert-vdh

Quote:
I did. Didn't solve the problem, it solved itself with a reboot and by deleting the Wine locale, but I'm not in the mood to pray to God in order to keep everything working. Better to decrease complexity and not use Wine / yabridge / etc. altogether for audio.
You probably still had Wine processes running. If you update Wine while Wine is still running you won't be able to spawn new Wine processes, for obvious reasons. You get an error message telling you that an older wineserver version is still running. Either reboot (like you did), or run wineserver -k to kill those processes.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #18
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
You probably still had Wine processes running. If you update Wine while Wine is still running you won't be able to spawn new Wine processes, for obvious reasons. You get an error message telling you that an older wineserver version is still running. Either reboot (like you did), or run wineserver -k to kill those processes.
Thanks for the tip, will try it out next time (if there is next time )
Old 01-20-2023, 03:14 PM   #19
alextone

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, will try it out next time (if there is next time )
If you spend even a fraction of the time you've taken over the years testing and using Win and Mac plugs, to test and try native linux plugins, including Reaper's own plugin collection, I'm not sure you'll need a next time.

LSP plugs are highly regarded, as are the already mentioned X42 plugs, Overtone DSP plugins, and a myriad of others from a wide collection of linux devs. You could also try DecentSampler instruments, along with the VPO (Virtual playing Orchestra), if you want to add some orchestral instruments to your tunes. (VPO is in SFZ format, and can be used successfully with Linuxsampler, or SFizz, which is also in standalone and plugin format for native linux.)

https://lsp-plug.in/

https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?
project=home%3Asfztools%3Asfizz&package=sfizz

Yet another interesting plugin in VST2/VST3/CLAP formats, from Heinbach-Audiothing

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/wires/

For what it's worth, i bought all my orchestral libs in gig format years ago, and using LinuxSampler, I have no need to reach into my pocket again for modern day libs (in a non linux friendly format) that are more or less the same as mine, with the added expense of a large chunk spent on "modern day marketing".

Can I suggest you head to sites that have classified sections, and ask if anyone is selling their "old" gig format libs (that can be used natively in linux), if that is what you want to use?

Here's two to get you started.

https://vi-control.net/community/for...ee-service.66/

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewf...52aebee6bcd8ee

Alex.

Last edited by alextone; 01-20-2023 at 03:37 PM.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:24 PM   #20
Wallaby

Default AudioUnits

To me it's always a pain when a plugin is not available as AU.
I wish every software maker does only mac software, no more Linux nor Windows.
Then the entire internet, only available for macs.
Media streaming only for macs.
Loudspeakers only work on macs.
Free air to breath only with Apple ID !
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:31 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Media streaming only for macs.
Loudspeakers only work on macs.
Free air to breath only with Apple ID !
I don't need no steenking plugins!

I'll make my music with . . . real instruments!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:39 PM   #22
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I don't need no steenking plugins!

I'll make my music with . . . real instruments!
Real Instruments? Is the living room big enough?

Old 01-20-2023, 04:15 PM   #23
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Real Instruments? Is the living room big enough?

Prolly not. Hehe, real instruments reminds me of the South Park episode where the dad breaks out a *real* guitar, and the kids say "real guitars are for old people".

Old 01-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #24
alextone

Quote:
Prolly not. Hehe, real instruments reminds me of the South Park episode where the dad breaks out a *real* guitar, and the kids say "real guitars are for old people".

Old 01-20-2023, 09:58 PM   #25
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Media streaming only for macs...
AU? Get off of my cloud!
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:40 AM   #26
ivansc

Quote:
I use just a few, really:

- MT-PowerDrumKit 2
- Ample Guitar M2 Lite
- Ample Bass Lite
- Numa Player
- Spitfire Audio LABS

That's it. But I will find replacements or sample them ASAP and be done with them.
Reality check: As far as I know, ALL of those apart from Spitfire are free. Hence no real motivation for the Devs to do Linux versions. Be reasonable.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #27
michael diemer

Quote:
That's how I do it too.
Well, in the case of this person, it's because I do classical music, and the fact is that there are no decent "non-windows/mac" orchestral libraries that can compare with, for example, the Cinesamples collection. While you may find VPO enough for a little orchestral background in your songs, I write purely orchestral music, and I need libraries for people who do that. They do not exist in Native Linux form at this point in time.

So, although I totally agree in principle that Native Linux is best, I am forced by what I do, and what I need in order to do it, to use libraries and vst instruments (like Kontakt) that will let me do what I do on Linux. A compromise, but a necessary one, for me.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:36 AM   #28
Glennbo

While I have some really decent E-mu bari-sax, tenor-sax, trombone, and trumpet samples that I can load up in LinuxSampler, I still prefer to use the horns from Kontakt, and since switching back to LinVST I haven't had any more dreaded "outages" from WINE updates.

That said, OSXMidi has publicly stated that the next major version of WINE will break LinVST, but that version of WINE has not been released yet, and I already have the updated version of LinVST that will work when it finally does break. (I'm not fixing it yet, coz it ain't broke yet)
Old 01-21-2023, 12:46 PM   #29
michael diemer

Quote:
While I have some really decent E-mu bari-sax, tenor-sax, trombone, and trumpet samples that I can load up in LinuxSampler, I still prefer to use the horns from Kontakt, and since switching back to LinVST I haven't had any more dreaded "outages" from WINE updates.

That said, OSXMidi has publicly stated that the next major version of WINE will break LinVST, but that version of WINE has not been released yet, and I already have the updated version of LinVST that will work when it finally does break. (I'm not fixing it yet, coz it ain't broke yet)
Thanks for the heads-up on LinVST. Linux Mint keeps trying to sneak Wine 8.0 on me (actually the RC versions), but I have resisted. now I won't even think about it.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:58 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up on LinVST. Linux Mint keeps trying to sneak Wine 8.0 on me (actually the RC versions), but I have resisted. now I won't even think about it.
This,

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...40&postcount=7

is what osxmidi said about WINE 8. I downloaded the updated version of LinVST and have it ready to switch out, but the reason I'm not doing it yet (besides the fact that it ain't broke yet), is that when WINE 8 is officially released, it is possible that the issues with LinVST might no longer exist. OTOH, I'm ready if one morning I get an update and it breaks LinVST.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #31
foxAsteria

Is there actually any good reason to update Wine? It's so temperamental, I started with 7.3 and try to never touch it again.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:30 PM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Is there actually any good reason to update Wine? It's so temperamental, I started with 7.3 and try to never touch it again.
I would think the answer is no, but WINE could still break if some library that WINE uses, that is not exclusive to WINE, gets updated and then you have an out of sync condition.

I have not skipped one single version of WINE since I went pure Linux in June of 2018. In that time frame I have only *once* had a problem with LinVST due to WINE, and I was able to get around the problem by running wine-stable for a few days until an updated wine-staging was released.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:53 AM   #33
alextone

Quote:
Well, in the case of this person, it's because I do classical music, and the fact is that there are no decent "non-windows/mac" orchestral libraries that can compare with, for example, the Cinesamples collection. While you may find VPO enough for a little orchestral background in your songs, I write purely orchestral music, and I need libraries for people who do that. They do not exist in Native Linux form at this point in time.

So, although I totally agree in principle that Native Linux is best, I am forced by what I do, and what I need in order to do it, to use libraries and vst instruments (like Kontakt) that will let me do what I do on Linux. A compromise, but a necessary one, for me.
My gig sample libs include SISS, Project SAM, Dan Dean WW and Brass, KH, gigasampler original orchestral box set, a collection of organ, piano, choir libs, including Spectrasonics symphony of voices, all of which work just fine in linuxsampler. I use all these in tunes I write for orchestra.

The disparity in available libs for linux is down to format, a decision made at the developer level.

VPO is not at these levels, but is a start for those who wish to dip their musical toes in the orchestral waters. And there are more and more SFZ libs that have been carefully crafted, with a view to raising the standard all the time.

Your point, as always, is well made, however there are "professional" level libs available to those who are willing to use formats (gig, SFZ) that are, arguably, the most well tested of all. My Symphony of Voices set from Spectrasonics was enthusiastically converted to both gig and SFZ, and won awards for excellence. So the standard is already there, and has been for a long time. Linux users just need to be creative, and persistent, to pursue that option.

I'm adding this because gig libs that may be for sale in online classifieds, are usually cheaper than brand new all singing, all dancing, heavily marketed, highly priced, and all Kontakt alternatives.

NI will NEVER release a native linux version of Kontakt, as they have made abundantly clear, nor will indy and other sample lib developers and companies, with a few exceptions, ever release their most complex and highly priced libs in a format outside of Kontakt, simply because they have no wish to build their own plugins, and the linux market is perceived to be too small.

And its ironic that if the effort were made, there would likely be a LOT more linux sample lib and plugin users, knowing they could work natively in Linux, and not resort to clumsy and often unreliable workarounds, like Wine, which can be flakey from one upgrade to the next.

We are fortunate indeed to have Reaper, Renoise, Pianotec, OvertoneDSP, and others who produce commercial products that run natively in Linux. Now we need the sample lib developers to catch up, and until they do, continue to explore the older formats for which there are native linux software options available.

Personally, I'd like to see a native linux gig plugin along the lines of LS16, a DSSI linuxsampler plugin that was a genuine plugin and not the complicated Fantasia version that required a druidic priests license to operate, as a plugin. LS16 still used linuxsampler as the server backend, but the UI was simple, and easy to use.

Alex.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:58 PM   #34
s wave

For a few years now - I have felt that Linux and free libs are abundant. Heck I made my own libs with just the free high quality recordings offered from amazing city orchestras world wide... when they offer them.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #35
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
My gig sample libs include SISS, Project SAM, Dan Dean WW and Brass, KH, gigasampler original orchestral box set, a collection of organ, piano, choir libs, including Spectrasonics symphony of voices, all of which work just fine in linuxsampler. I use all these in tunes I write for orchestra.

The disparity in available libs for linux is down to format, a decision made at the developer level.

VPO is not at these levels, but is a start for those who wish to dip their musical toes in the orchestral waters. And there are more and more SFZ libs that have been carefully crafted, with a view to raising the standard all the time.

Your point, as always, is well made, however there are "professional" level libs available to those who are willing to use formats (gig, SFZ) that are, arguably, the most well tested of all. My Symphony of Voices set from Spectrasonics was enthusiastically converted to both gig and SFZ, and won awards for excellence. So the standard is already there, and has been for a long time. Linux users just need to be creative, and persistent, to pursue that option.

I'm adding this because gig libs that may be for sale in online classifieds, are usually cheaper than brand new all singing, all dancing, heavily marketed, highly priced, and all Kontakt alternatives.

NI will NEVER release a native linux version of Kontakt, as they have made abundantly clear, nor will indy and other sample lib developers and companies, with a few exceptions, ever release their most complex and highly priced libs in a format outside of Kontakt, simply because they have no wish to build their own plugins, and the linux market is perceived to be too small.

And its ironic that if the effort were made, there would likely be a LOT more linux sample lib and plugin users, knowing they could work natively in Linux, and not resort to clumsy and often unreliable workarounds, like Wine, which can be flakey from one upgrade to the next.

We are fortunate indeed to have Reaper, Renoise, Pianotec, OvertoneDSP, and others who produce commercial products that run natively in Linux. Now we need the sample lib developers to catch up, and until they do, continue to explore the older formats for which there are native linux software options available.

Personally, I'd like to see a native linux gig plugin along the lines of LS16, a DSSI linuxsampler plugin that was a genuine plugin and not the complicated Fantasia version that required a druidic priests license to operate, as a plugin. LS16 still used linuxsampler as the server backend, but the UI was simple, and easy to use.

Alex.
Great points, Alex. Believe me, it angers me that Linux is so neglected by developers. It all goes back to the fact that Microsoft is a near monopoly, with Apple a very distant second. and Linux not even an afterthought. Big Tech behemoths (and I include google and facebook here) should be broken up, which would open the market up, like when Ma Bell was broken up. nothing but good things would happen for consumers were that to happen.

I think it's good that the Native Linux option is there, but also the possibility to use some Windows tools, for those who feel they need them. We are all free to choose how we will make our music. There's no right or wrong here. Only what works for the individual.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:37 PM   #36
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
For a few years now - I have felt that Linux and free libs are abundant. Heck I made my own libs with just the free high quality recordings offered from amazing city orchestras world wide... when they offer them.
That is really cool, I wish I could do it.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:14 AM   #37
orbitfold

Maintaining packages for different OSs is a huge PiTA. Especially for a cluster-fuck of an OS that is Linux. And for what? 10 license purchases? It's amazing how convinced OP is that people owe them work.
orbitfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #38
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitfold View Post
Maintaining packages for different OSs is a huge PiTA. Especially for a cluster-fuck of an OS that is Linux. And for what? 10 license purchases? It's amazing how convinced OP is that people owe them work.
Maintaining packages for different OSes is a huge PITA, I’ll agree. However, you are misinformed about “Linux” being a “C. F.”. That linux is a single OS is a common misconception. What is colloquially called “Linux” by the unwashed masses, is really 500+ separate operating systems composed of similar sets of libraries and tools of varying versions. If there were 500+ versions of Windows OSes, there would be the same problem. This is where sandboxed package management (like Flatpak, Snap, and Appimage) can help, with sufficient community buy-in. Rather than having to worry about utilizing the varying system libraries of the varying different distributions, the libraries needed are packaged with the app in a sandboxed environment. As it stands right now, most closed source developers compile for Ubuntu. If you use Ubuntu, your experience with available software would be as smooth as it would be with Windows. Most developers try to also try to reduce their library dependencies to the most common libraries that most of the 500+ distributions share, so non-Ubuntu distributions can benefit from the apps as well. A stand-alone Linux distribution is as solid as a stand-alone Windows distribution. That said, until there is a common community accepted solution, you are correct that closed source software development will be muted in the Linux world. While “Linux” is not a C.F., we we should be grateful and support our Linux developers where possible, so that they will see the benefits in supporting Linux.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #39
orbitfold

Quote:
Maintaining packages for different OSes is a huge PITA, I’ll agree. However, you are misinformed about “Linux” being a “C. F.”. That linux is a single OS is a common misconception. What is colloquially called “Linux” by the unwashed masses, is really 500+ separate operating systems composed of similar sets of libraries and tools of varying versions. If there were 500+ versions of Windows OSes, there would be the same problem. This is where sandboxed package management (like Flatpak, Snap, and Appimage) can help, with sufficient community buy-in. Rather than having to worry about utilizing the varying system libraries of the varying different distributions, the libraries needed are packaged with the app in a sandboxed environment. As it stands right now, most closed source developers compile for Ubuntu. If you use Ubuntu, your experience with available software would be as smooth as it would be with Windows. Most developers try to also try to reduce their library dependencies to the most common libraries that most of the 500+ distributions share, so non-Ubuntu distributions can benefit from the apps as well. A stand-alone Linux distribution is as solid as a stand-alone Windows distribution. That said, until there is a common community accepted solution, you are correct that closed source software development will be muted in the Linux world. While “Linux” is not a C.F., we we should be grateful and support our Linux developers where possible, so that they will see the benefits in supporting Linux.
When I say Linux (as an OS) I mean the whole ecosystem. Semantics don't make maintaining packages for it any easier.
orbitfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:58 AM   #40
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitfold View Post
People don't 'owe' me anything, but I won't use / buy their stuff anymore if they don't have Linux binaries. With CLAP, VST3 and Flatpaks they don't have an excuse anymore, so good riddance.

Money will go to Linux developers instead. I have also reserved a certain amount of yearly funds to donate to Linux/FOSS projects that I use, to help them thrive.

Last edited by /AND/; 01-23-2023 at 10:03 AM.