Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-14-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
K8ch
Human being with feelings

Default Fixed: Need new MIDI controller (no keys). Opinions?

The FIX: I am getting a Nanokontrol2.

I'm replacing an -old- Nanokontrol. It sort of works but not very well, nor very consistently.
(It's old and no longer supported by Korg, anyway)

I am considering a Nanokontrol2.

But then, I think a few long-throw sliders (like the ones below), would be much better
(https://themidimaker.com/)

After all, I don't need knobs if I can use a slider (especially w/a long throw), with more precision.
I won't likely use more than 3 or 4 faders at a time, anyway...so a nanocontrol2 may be overkill.

Hmmm..

Any suggestions or advice?

Peace,

Keith

Last edited by K8ch; 01-18-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: correction
K8ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:07 AM   #2
nait
Human being with feelings

Did you go with the Nanokontrol2 already? I'm sure you won't be disappointed but if you didn't...

I haven't used the device you linked to, but they look like they're pretty good quality. Nice 100m throw on them, and reviews seem to indicate they're pretty smooth moving, which I think is important.

How do you feel about your Nanokontrol when it was working? I haven't used one, but my gut says from looking at it that it's not only short, but probably moves a bit jagged/stiff compared to that Sparrow. Also, if you never really used the knobs on your Nanokontrol, you won't use them now, so I'd personally lean towards that Sparrow device, or something similar.

I'll also say I've kinda changed my desktop a bit. No longer do I have a big keyboard with all the knobs/faders and pads on it. Now I've got a nice slim keyboard, a device with a whole lot of faders and knobs (Launch Control XL) - overkill though, and a device for my pads (Launchpad X), although I actually use this more like a keyboard than a set of drum pad.

I'm a big fan of having one good device for each of these parts rather than having one thing that does it all. I like this stuff because I can take a component out of the equation I'm not using and free some desktop space up, not to mention I think I've ended up with a better array of keys/knobs/faders/pads, but different strokes for different folks.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote