Old 01-13-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
ohole
Human being with feelings

Default Rewire?

I'm using reaper 6.73 on arch linux. I've got a good number of windows-native VST plugins working well using yabridge, and I'm trying to set up a waves plugin that requires ReWire. However, I can't seem to figure out how to access ReWire in the linux version of Reaper (I've tried both the reaper package from AUR and the x86_64 installer downloaded from reaper.fm).

With a default (non-portable) installation of Reaper 6.73 in windows, ReWire is available as a plugin, and I can add it to an otherwise empty track to hook up the waves plugin and hear output. However, in the linux version no ReWire is shown in the Plugins dialog.

I've verified that ReWire.dll is in the appropriate location in my .wine/drive_c (same location as the .dll in the windows install). I've also set the reaper.ini var userewire=1.

Is it even possible to use the ReWire concept in linux? If so, is there some other setup step I'm missing? And if not, is there some alternative to ReWire that I can use to get audio out of the waves plugin?
ohole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:30 PM   #2
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohole View Post
...Is it even possible to use the ReWire concept in linux? If so, is there some other setup step I'm missing? And if not, is there some alternative to ReWire that I can use to get audio out of the waves plugin?
If you really need whatever that Waves plugin does, I think your only hope is to try installing ReWire in Wine and then use the Windows version of REAPER in Wine too. I haven't tried it though so not sure if even that would work. ReWire certainly won't work in the native Linux version of REAPER.

Thing is, ReWire only ever worked on Windows and Mac and even then support for it ended back in 2020. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWi...tware_protocol)

Pipewire does essentially the same job in Linux, but unfortunately that won't help with your Waves plugin.

Which plugin is it, anyway? Maybe there's a native Linux alternative?
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:19 AM   #3
ohole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Which plugin is it, anyway? Maybe there's a native Linux alternative?
Waves Tune. I don't *need* it, but was just trying to figure out if I could get it working easily.

And thanks for the explanation. That makes sense and I may at some point see if Wine / Windows Reaper / ReWire will work, but I'm really into the native linux solution (with some yabridge / wine vsts) so I'll probably find an alternative that will work under that scheme.
ohole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
Xasman

No problem. In that case, why not just use ReaTune in REAPER Linux? No need then to mess about with Wine or ReWire.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
No problem. In that case, why not just use ReaTune in REAPER Linux? No need then to mess about with Wine or ReWire.
The Guitarix and x42 tuners are also both nice and in LV2 format.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The Guitarix and x42 tuners are also both nice and in LV2 format.
Yep, there's also GVST GSnap and Graillon 2.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Yep, there's also GVST GSnap and Graillon 2.
Ahh, I thought they were looking for guitar tuners. I have both GSnap and Graillon, but have never used either in a project.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:21 PM   #8
Xasman

Quote:
Ahh, I thought they were looking for guitar tuners. I have both GSnap and Graillon, but have never used either in a project.
I have them too but on the rare occasions when I've used them, I usually just grab ReaTune and use it in manual mode with Elastique Pro Solo. Works absolutely fine for my needs but YMMV, of course.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:24 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
I have them too but on the rare occasions when I've used them, I usually just grab ReaTune and use it in manual mode with Elastique Pro Solo. Works absolutely fine for my needs but YMMV, of course.
I have used ReaTune in manual mode on a project or two, to fix the occasional sharp or flat note. It does nothing however to make my singing any better.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #10
Xasman

Quote:
I have used ReaTune in manual mode on a project or two, to fix the occasional sharp or flat note. It does nothing however to make my singing any better.
Same here!
Old 01-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #11
/AND/

Quote:
Same here!
Same here
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Same here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
Same here
I have on occasion used ReaPitch to alter only the Formant of my vocals, thinning them up some, but it still sounds like me singing in the end.

I want a plugin where I select "Sting", "Donald Fagen", or a host of other fine vocalists, so my vocal track sounds very similar to something they'd sing.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:21 PM   #13
michael diemer

I would choose Jon Anderson of Yes fame. As a kid I used to sing in the choir at my church, and I could actually hit those notes then, which he hits as an adult. Apparently he just has a high range, he doesn't use falsetto. With his vocals, Steve Howe's flaming guitar work, great keyboard work by Tony Kaye and then Rick Wakeman; plus the guys you mentioned, it gave them a totally unique sound. I still remember the first time I heard "Your move." I went, "Wow, who are these guys? Never heard anything like that before."
Old 01-18-2023, 03:24 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I would choose Jon Anderson of Yes fame. As a kid I used to sing in the choir at my church, and I could actually hit those notes then, which he hits as an adult. Apparently he just has a high range, he doesn't use falsetto. With his vocals, Steve Howe's flaming guitar work, great keyboard work by Tony Kaye and then Rick Wakeman; plus the guys you mentioned, it gave them a totally unique sound. I still remember the first time I heard "Your move." I went, "Wow, who are these guys? Never heard anything like that before."
I got to see Yes in a quadrophonic concert, just a few weeks after getting to see Emerson, Lake, and Palmer in a quadrophonic concert.

Yes was promoting Tales of Topographic Oceans, and had lots of fancy lit up fiberglass stage props. It was the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, and Squire lineup and they were eggselent. For the entire 20-30 minutes of pre-show they had the birds and river/waterfall sounds that precede Close to the Edge playing in quad. Then when they came on they played Close to the Edge.

I had recorded Time and a Word in the early 70s on my dad's reel-to-reel, but didn't know who it was. There was an after midnight radio show where they'd play entire albums, and I started the recording too late to catch who they were playing. When Fragile came out, I also bought Time in a Word. I was surprised when I heard it, because I was real familiar with every song.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:06 PM   #15
michael diemer

Quote:
I got to see Yes in a quadrophonic concert, just a few weeks after getting to see Emerson, Lake, and Palmer in a quadrophonic concert.

Yes was promoting Tales of Topographic Oceans, and had lots of fancy lit up fiberglass stage props. It was the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, and Squire lineup and they were eggselent. For the entire 20-30 minutes of pre-show they had the birds and river/waterfall sounds that precede Close to the Edge playing in quad. Then when they came on they played Close to the Edge.

I had recorded Time and a Word in the early 70s on my dad's reel-to-reel, but didn't know who it was. There was an after midnight radio show where they'd play entire albums, and I started the recording too late to catch who they were playing. When Fragile came out, I also bought Time in a Word. I was surprised when I heard it, because I was real familiar with every song.
I never had the privilege of seeing Yes live. I did see ELP along with Procol Harum in Pittsburgh. PH is another of my top 5 bands. ELP were incredible. The concert at the Stanly theater was standing room only. we didn't have anything to smoke, but it didn't matter, the air was "charged." So to speak.

My best concert was the 3-day Atlantic city Pop Festival in 1969. Saw Janis Joplin, Jefferson airplane, Crosby Stills and Nash, Joni Mitchell, Credence; the list goes on. The Moodies were supposed to be there but they never showed. fortunately I did get to see them a couple times, once here in Maine.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:30 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
I never had the privilege of seeing Yes live. I did see ELP along with Procol Harum in Pittsburgh. PH is another of my top 5 bands. ELP were incredible. The concert at the Stanly theater was standing room only. we didn't have anything to smoke, but it didn't matter, the air was "charged." So to speak.
Thick air! I have been to concerts like that. My very first one, Chicago promoting their debut album in 1969 was one of those.

Quote:
My best concert was the 3-day Atlantic city Pop Festival in 1969. Saw Janis Joplin, Jefferson airplane, Crosby Stills and Nash, Joni Mitchell, Credence; the list goes on. The Moodies were supposed to be there but they never showed. fortunately I did get to see them a couple times, once here in Maine.
That had to be way cool! A guitarist I worked with for 30 some years was buddies with Stephen Stills, and when they came here, he sold Stills a tobacco brown Gibson ES-335, and Stills gave him a bunch of backstage passes, which he shared one with me that I still have today.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-19-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:06 PM   #17
/AND/

Quote:
I have on occasion used ReaPitch to alter only the Formant of my vocals, thinning them up some, but it still sounds like me singing in the end.
How do you adjust only the formants?
Old 01-19-2023, 03:09 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
How do you adjust only the formants?
The bottom two sliders of the "shift" section on ReaPitch are coarse and fine controls for Formant. Set to +6 semitones, it will make your voice sound like Munchkins on helium. I've used it set much less than that before to remove some throatiness sound on vocal tracks. Just enough to thin the vocal up, and not so much to make it sound unnatural.

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-05-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #19
/AND/

Quote:
Set to +6 semitones, it will make your voice sound like Munchkins on helium.
:O

Thanks Glennbo.

BTW how did you get your sliders and faders to look that smooth and Apple-like?! Can I finally haz some smoothness to my Reaper!?
Old 01-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
:O

Thanks Glennbo.

BTW how did you get your sliders and faders to look that smooth and Apple-like?! Can I finally haz some smoothness to my Reaper!?
We Linux users are teh lukkiest peeple!

I used Feed The Cat's excellent script to theme the unthemeable!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ht=unthemeable

Old 01-21-2023, 02:51 AM   #21
/AND/

Quote:

Ah, I use it too, a great script. Was wondering about the round buttons on the sliders, those are a GTK theme or something, but look so awesome on your screen. In general I'm trying to make all square things a bit rounder all around my system, I hate the dated boxy look.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:30 AM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
Ah, I use it too, a great script. Was wondering about the round buttons on the sliders, those are a GTK theme or something, but look so awesome on your screen. In general I'm trying to make all square things a bit rounder all around my system, I hate the dated boxy look.
I first loaded a theme called "Minimalist Dark" and ran the Feed the Cat script, then I loaded Lucas's LCS Mod Short Dark, but did not run the script, which kept the elements from the Minimalist theme for stuff like ReaEQ, Etc.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #23
michael diemer

Quote:

To theme the unthemable theme...isn't that a song?
Old 01-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
To theme the unthemable theme...isn't that a song?
If it's not, it should be!