Old 11-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #41
matnoir
Human being with feelings

I'm afraid that wouldn't do as Space Controller basically is a multi-channel panner that can be remotely controlled. So it will not provide the desired metadata for objects.

In Reaper, you can however link its parameters to the Dolby Atmos Music Panner, but that will just allow you to use your phone instead of your mouse, which is more fun but less accurate...

I demonstrated this in a video when the plugin was released :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPzeoSMBaI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
It's likely to be just slightly less work but Space Controller by Sound Particles allows for copy and paste from their panner to any Atmos supporting panner. I think the idea is you can do your object based panning using that in your preferred setup and then copy and paste to publish the mix.

It would be track by track.
matnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #42
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matnoir View Post
I'm afraid that wouldn't do as Space Controller basically is a multi-channel panner that can be remotely controlled. So it will not provide the desired metadata for objects.

In Reaper, you can however link its parameters to the Dolby Atmos Music Panner, but that will just allow you to use your phone instead of your mouse, which is more fun but less accurate...

I demonstrated this in a video when the plugin was released :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPzeoSMBaI
From the Space Controller manual under the heading "Copy/Paste automation into Dolby Atmos objects"

Quote:
Space Controller works with Dolby Atmos Beds. Since plugin architectures do not support
object metadata, Space Controller is currently not compatible with objects. However, Space
Controller has dedicated automation parameters to copy directly into the Dolby Atmos Music
Panner or Pro Tools, Nuendo and Logic Pro native panners that send objects position metadata
to the Dolby Atmos Render
This is the workflow I was referring to. The only advantage being that one could complete all their panning (object and bed) in Reaper and then transfer to Davinci to create the Atmos deliverable. I'm intrigued by the linking through OSC approach, at the same time I can see why the accuracy of the method using Space Controller would be unwieldy.

Last edited by plush2; 11-26-2022 at 09:44 AM.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:30 AM   #43
oceanboat

Quote:

But there's hope. There have been rumours that at first Cockos rejected Dolby's integration as the legal part was not in line with Cockos' philosophy. It seems that Dolby is still interested in having Reaper directly importing/exporting Dolby ADM (after all, it's just about getting some textual metadata in the right format), so things might brighten up in a not too distant future.
Is there a chance the cockos team will collaborate with dolby to come up with a dolby surround encoder for reaper? Or is that wishful thinking?
oceanboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #44
drichard

That's the big question. Other products have integrated Dolby Atmos encoding, and this is a rare situation where Reaper is one of the products lagging other DAWs. Nuendo, Cubase, Ableton, and Davinci Resolve all have integrated Atmos encoding / rendering into the app itself. MY knowledge of how other apps work is a bit spotty, so don't quote me on it, but it appears Pro Tools has a hack where they can do real time encoding using a standalone Dolby encoding application running at the same time synced with timecode, but that only works on a Mac. (Reaper may be able to do the same thing on Mac?) PT on PC requires the audio to be output to a second PC where the encoder can run, if my understanding is correct. Someone please correct me if any of the above is wrong.

Reaper and Studio One have yet to announce integrated encoding, so we'll see what happens. As someone mentioned above, it might have something to do with licensing from Dolby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanboat View Post
Is there a chance the cockos team will collaborate with dolby to come up with a dolby surround encoder for reaper? Or is that wishful thinking?
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #45
drichard

I'm going to be doing Atmos audio for the most part, though I may want to do music videos with Atmos sound some time down the road. I have a working process in place, using Reaper for the bulk of the mixing, exporting mixed stems, and then doing object panning and final rendering in Davinci Resolve. Not ideal, but it seems to work pretty well, albeit not nearly as convenient as doing it all in Reaper would be. DAWs that have now integrated Atmos encoding include Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton, and Resolve. And of course Pro Tools can do it using the separate rendering app. But I'm keeping abreast of what's happening with other surround formats, in case there is reason to use them.

I did some reading on MPEG-H yesterday, and it's worth keeping an eye on it as a viable format. Sony360 is said to be using MPEG-H as their integrated format, and of course Sony is huge. Korea adopted MPEG-H as their over-the-air surround format, and Brazil just decided on MPEG-H as well. Several receiver manufacturers (Denon and a few others, can't remember them all) offered firmware upgrades to some of their surround receivers to support MPEG-H. Atmos still has the bulk of the market so far, but MPEG-H has some technical advantages, and might gain traction over time.

Quote:
I must confess that I did not try the Fraunhofer suite, since I got it as I had no time for that. From their documentation, I'm afraid that it can convert dolby adm files but not the other way around.

FAQ : https://mpegh.com/info/#1604315177908-df8dc760-69ae
Tools : https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/...tware/mas.html

What are the actual deliverables that you need ? Music only for Apple/Amazon/Tidal or films (as you mentioned Resolve Studio) ?
ADM files come in various flavors, but they are pretty well standardized.

At present, I'm afraid that "true" Dolby format will need Dolby software (or Pro Tools or Nuendo I believe).

But there's hope. There have been rumours that at first Cockos rejected Dolby's integration as the legal part was not in line with Cockos' philosophy. It seems that Dolby is still interested in having Reaper directly importing/exporting Dolby ADM (after all, it's just about getting some textual metadata in the right format), so things might brighten up in a not too distant future.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #46
pepe44

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2468058

Last edited by pepe44; 11-27-2022 at 08:37 AM.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #47
drichard

To me, that seems less convenient than simply using Resolve's surround panner to generate the Atmos metadata. And I don't plan to do a lot of complex object panning anyway. I'm doing music, I won't have helicopters flying overhead.

Quote:
It's likely to be just slightly less work but Space Controller by Sound Particles allows for copy and paste from their panner to any Atmos supporting panner. I think the idea is you can do your object based panning using that in your preferred setup and then copy and paste to publish the mix.

It would be track by track.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #48
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
To me, that seems less convenient than simply using Resolve's surround panner to generate the Atmos metadata. And I don't plan to do a lot of complex object panning anyway. I'm doing music, I won't have helicopters flying overhead.
I defer to your opinion. I haven't used either workflow myself. I was just presenting the one possibility I was aware of.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #49
drichard

I appreciate your thought, and I may try it at some point. It's always good to have alternatives.

Quote:
I defer to your opinion. I haven't used either workflow myself. I was just presenting the one possibility I was aware of.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #50
oceanboat

If cockos create a separate ATMOS encoder plugin and sell it separately, that might be an acceptable trade off.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #51
drichard

I don't think that can happen. Atmos is licensed and controlled by Dolby, who control the encoder technology. However, it might be possible for Reaper to incorporate a Dolby licensed encoder capability into the renderer, much like they do with ffmpeg. Just speculating.

Quote:
If cockos create a separate ATMOS encoder plugin and sell it separately, that might be an acceptable trade off.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #52
oceanboat

What is the price tag of Dolby Media Encoder? The price is not shown in the dolby website.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #53
drichard

The Dolby mastering suite, which includes a number of tools, is $995. I believe there is a PC version. The Dolby Media Encoder is roughly $400, but is Mac only.

Quote:
What is the price tag of Dolby Media Encoder? The price is not shown in the dolby website.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:53 AM   #54
oceanboat

Quote:
The Dolby mastering suite, which includes a number of tools, is $995. I believe there is a PC version. The Dolby Media Encoder is roughly $400, but is Mac only.
according to the sweetwater website, the dolby production suite is mac only and might require a pro tools software.

i've read your previous posts that da vinci resolve contains atmos rendering. this might be a good solution since i can use the video editing part of resolve. can da vinci resolve do the atmos rendering with the windows version?
Old 12-14-2022, 01:52 AM   #55
drichard

It does, and it works nicely. I'm on a PC with Windows. But you don't get Atmos support in the free version, you need to buy the Studio version. Their paid license includes updates for life, so you don't have to upgrade every year or so. Resolve is an incredible video editor, absolutely top notch. A bit buggy now and then, and picky about the video card and driver you use with it, but it's a very deep and complex piece of software so I forgive those faults. Be sure you meet the hardware requirements before buying it. You can test compatibility with the free version.

If you're on a budget sometimes you can find someone selling an unused license on EBay. (They include a license with some of their hardware products, and some people don't need a second license.)

Quote:
according to the sweetwater website, the dolby production suite is mac only and might require a pro tools software.

i've read your previous posts that da vinci resolve contains atmos rendering. this might be a good solution since i can use the video editing part of resolve. can da vinci resolve do the atmos rendering with the windows version?
Old 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #56
drichard

There is a new VST3 plugin by a company called Fiedler that has created an Atmos renderer, panner, and player that works within Reaper. It's called Dolby Atmos Composer. It works within any DAW. I have no association with this company, but I have been demoing the product and from my early testing it seems to work quite well. Not cheap, currently selling at $199 but it gives Reaper users a way to directly integrate Atmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgs_radio View Post
I am wondering can I use Dolby Atmos, With reaper and if so how?
Old 04-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #57
sguyader

Quote:
There is a new VST3 plugin by a company called Fiedler that has created an Atmos renderer, panner, and player that works within Reaper. It's called Dolby Atmos Composer. It works within any DAW. I have no association with this company, but I have been demoing the product and from my early testing it seems to work quite well. Not cheap, currently selling at $199 but it gives Reaper users a way to directly integrate Atmos.
The full version is $199, but the Essential version (still quite capable for most of the regular tasks in my opinion) is only $99.

I have to add that since the panner (Beam plugin) is actually a router: it pans and sends the incoming audio to main master plugin pre-fader. So in that case, you can't mix the tracks with the Reaper tcp/mcp faders because the master plugin gets the audio pre-fader. Mixing has then to be done in the Beam plugin. And for what I understand, there's no (simple) way to make the Beam plugin post-fader.
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:33 PM   #58
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguyader View Post
I have to add that since the panner (Beam plugin) is actually a router: it pans and sends the incoming audio to main master plugin pre-fader. So in that case, you can't mix the tracks with the Reaper tcp/mcp faders because the master plugin gets the audio pre-fader. Mixing has then to be done in the Beam plugin. And for what I understand, there's no (simple) way to make the Beam plugin post-fader.
I wish Reaper had a post-fader effect slot, but since it doesn't, and I've dealt with several different production processes that have required it, the best work-around I've come up with, is a post-fader send with parent send unchecked, and duplicate channels for the post-fader effects. Don't touch the pan or fader on those effects, and do your mixing on the original set. It works out OK to do your reverb sends from these post- tracks too. You do end up with twice as many tracks in the project though.

I didn't think about one thing in this case, with the sending to reverb from the Atmos Beam tracks. Beam stops the audio from being passed through it. It instead sends to Composer. So you'll have to make the reverb sends pre-FX.

Last edited by ScuzzyEye; 04-20-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added the additional thought about Beam blocking the audio.
ScuzzyEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:16 AM   #59
drichard

I'm just getting started with it, but I've been testing using a single Beam folder / buss track for the bed + height speakers, and putting all of my project bed tracks in that folder. I mix in 7.1.4 so I set the Beam buss to be 12 channels directly mapped to the 7.1.4 speakers, feeding the Composer directly from it. I then set all bed tracks to be 12 channels as well. I don't do any actual panning in the Beam bed buss once it is set up, it is all done in Reaper. I use ReaSurroundPan and the mixer to do all of the volume changes and panning, sending the 12 ReaSurroundPan channel outputs to the Beam bed. The Beam Bed track simply feeds the Composer. This has several advantages. I can use Reaper for panning, level changes, etc. Also, I can put a bed "master" EQ, compressor, limiter, and other FX on the Bed folder track before the Beam panner, effectively allowing to me compress, EQ, etc. the entire bed mix. (Without objects.)

Objects need to be handled separately, of course, using a Beam panner sending to the Composer, per standard Atmos . But using all bed tracks as a single Beam instance is very helpful IMO. I'm sure I will refine my techniques as time goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguyader View Post
The full version is $199, but the Essential version (still quite capable for most of the regular tasks in my opinion) is only $99.

Old 04-21-2023, 04:50 AM   #60
sguyader

Quote:
I'm just getting started with it, but I've been testing using a single Beam folder / buss track for the bed + height speakers, and putting all of my project bed tracks in that folder. I mix in 7.1.4 so I set the Beam buss to be 12 channels directly mapped to the 7.1.4 speakers, feeding the Composer directly from it. I then set all bed tracks to be 12 channels as well. I don't do any actual panning in the Beam bed buss once it is set up, it is all done in Reaper. I use ReaSurroundPan and the mixer to do all of the volume changes and panning, sending the 12 ReaSurroundPan channel outputs to the Beam bed. The Beam Bed track simply feeds the Composer. This has several advantages. I can use Reaper for panning, level changes, etc. Also, I can put a bed "master" EQ, compressor, limiter, and other FX on the Bed folder track before the Beam panner, effectively allowing to me compress, EQ, etc. the entire bed mix. (Without objects.)

Objects need to be handled separately, of course, using a Beam panner sending to the Composer, per standard Atmos . But using all bed tracks as a single Beam instance is very helpful IMO. I'm sure I will refine my techniques as time goes on.
That's an interesting workflow!
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote