Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Soundvision
Human being with feelings

Default Confusion about project sample rates and rendering

Hi,

Can someone please explain the following to me?

I am confused about the sample rate project settings and the sample rate settings for rendering my music to wav. Not only for Reaper but also for Reason.

Example:

1) If I start a new project in Reaper and put the sample rate in the project menu on 44100hz, what is this for? Is this only for audio recording? I know this is a stupid question because the tab says ‘Audio Settings’. But when I click in the right corner of the screen:

[44.1khz 24bit WAV : 2/2ch 512spls ~13/33ms ASIO].

I get a new window (Reaper preferences). Here it says: ‘Request Sample rate’ (44100hz), and on the bottom of the window it says: ‘Allow project to override device sample rate’. I have activated this option because I want to be sure that Reaper uses 44100hz to lower the CPU load on my system. (I read that in some magazine) Because it was set on 96000hz. My audio interface (presonus) can handle it, and so can my computer, but it seems like overkill. Is this correct?

Why do I have to do this for the second time (44100hz)? What is the difference between:

-the the project menu
-Reaper preferences

Will there be any conflicts if one would put different sample rates in these menus?

And also, if I only record midi and no audio, can I render my WAV file to, let’s say: 24 bit/96000hz, when I had set my settings (Reaper preferences) to 44100hz? Will there be a difference in audio quality, or can I only render to 24bit/96000hz and lower, if I put my settings (Reaper preferences) to 96000hz?

What if I change my mind, can I change my sample rate settings AFTER I created my music (from 44100hz to 96000hz). Is the sample rate setting (44100hz) only meant for play back quality of recorded midi tracks on my computer? Or does it also effect my rendering to WAV?

In Reason there is only one preference window for audio settings. I have set my sample rate to 48000hz. Will I be able to render my song to 96000hz or can I only render to 48000hz and lower?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I am very confused about all this..

Thanks in advance

Soundvision
Soundvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
TimOBrien

Do yourself a favor: Lock everything down on 24bit/44.1khz

When you do a final mixdown for a cd, you'll want to render at 16bit/44.1khz

Unless you have a multi-bajillion$$ studio, you really dont need anything else.
Going to higher rates only loads your computer down and gives you less horsepower, less plugins and bigger files before your system blue-screens.

(the power users will come down in 3, 2, 1... but just go 24/44.1 and everything will be fine.)
Old 11-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Soundvision

Thank you for your responds.

Yes, Locking everything down on 24bit/44.1khz makes sense.. I read that if you record vocals, you should put the sample rate a little higher so you can record all the dynamics of the human voice. People also say that the 96khz thing is just a big marketing stunt...

Soundvision
Soundvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Sheppola

I agree with Tim.Stick to 24 bit 44.1k and you won't go far wrong.If you get a project that starts to stress the system read the Reaper manual and or read the forum about rendering,"Stems" so you can remove plug-ins on intensive tracks.I've recorded at 16 bit 44.1k and still had good results but if,like most modern systems,it can handle 24/44.1k then use that and the CD standard of 16 bit 44.1k .wav for making CDs.
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post
Thank you for your responds.

Yes, Locking everything down on 24bit/44.1khz makes sense.. I read that if you record vocals, you should put the sample rate a little higher so you can record all the dynamics of the human voice. People also say that the 96khz thing is just a big marketing stunt...

Soundvision
The maximum dynamics are controlled by bit rate, not sample rate. That's why you have been suggested to use 24 bit. That gives more dynamics than needed to record a fighter plane.