Old 12-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default How to render a folder track?

you know, its a bit irritating for me not having freeze.

REALLY irritating.

then you have 6 to 8 drum tracks going to a folder, and you want to just mix down the folder -- and you cant. You have to what, consolidate, and make a new project? You cant apply fx anymore -- you want just the rendered file to show up in that folder track.

how do i do this?

I want to be able to right click a track and render it. Just that track.

Just going right over the old wave, if any exist...

ahhh its annoying.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
bullshark

To render a folder track:

Select the folder track.
Then click on "File->Render...".
Select Sample rate.
Select stereo or mono.
Select what you want rendered (Entire project, loop selection or custom selection).
Uncheck "master mix".
Check "Render "stem"(selected track)to similarly named file".
Check "Add item to new track in project when finished".
Choose WAV as output format (preferably 24 bit).
Click Render.

That's all of it. A new track will be created with the new rendered sub-mix in it; if you don't want the folder track anymore after that, just press "delete".
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
todd24

You just record the output of the folder, then mute everything in it. Its basicaly the same as folder freeze but not nearly as eloquent or fast.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
todd24

You could also take the file from bullsharks' post (he did that while I was writing my first reply :-) ), and drag on to the folder track, mute everything in the folder (including the folder FX).

Again, not quite as neat as folder freeze would be.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
bullshark

I just did it with a multi out drum setup, it took 7 seconds from the time I clicked "File" to where I had a new track in the project; that include render time (but it only had 12 bars of drums).

Sure a one click option would be nicer, and we'll probably get it in time, but it really is not that bad. And this way, you can render every track of a multi out set up in a folder to it's own track if you wish, which is neat too.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd24 View Post
You could also take the file from bullsharks' post (he did that while I was writing my first reply :-) ), and drag on to the folder track, mute everything in the folder (including the folder FX).

Again, not quite as neat as folder freeze would be.
Of course though, i want the folder FX. But one thing that is annoying is all of those clicks it takes!!! Right click, render/freeze track would be sooo much nicer. Sure you can tell me its 7 seconds, I dont care, its not that easy --- then afterwards you have to find the rendered track (it shows up at the bottom of the project, it doesnt insert itself into the folder, and then move it to the folder yourself. The you have to mute all the other tracks and disable the fx of the folder...

o well ill deal but...
Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post

Sure a one click option would be nicer, and we'll probably get it in time, but it really is not that bad. And this way, you can render every track of a multi out set up in a folder to it's own track if you wish, which is neat too.
you could also do this easily right a right click on track menu..

right click on one track --> render (freeze) to track
select multiple tracks and right click ---
render (freeze) to one track
or
render (freeze to individual tracks)
Old 12-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
bigwoody

Jason, The way I do this is to solo the FOLDER track then render as usual (Render Master Mix). Everything under that folder is solo'd and all the effects applied in the folder track work just fine. It also works if you solo a single track under a folder (if you want just that track with the folder effects applied). I do this all the time and it works great. Hope this helps...
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
you could also do this easily right a right click on track menu..

right click on one track --> render (freeze) to track
select multiple tracks and right click ---
render (freeze) to one track
or
render (freeze to individual tracks)
I do agree that it would be nice. As I pointed out in another thread, I've never used a host where the freeze function was really useable thought. I used mainly Tracktion before where freezing a track froze everything, including the level fader so you couldn't even adjust the level of a frozen track; worst, it loaded the frozen track into ram, so if you were close to ram capacity on your machine, because of large orchestral sample library used for example, freezing a track would then bring your whole workstation to a grinding halt because it didn't unload the samples from ram.

So I used the render function in Tracktion also instead of freeze, which work in a similar fashion to what I use in Reaper so I'm personnaly not really missing anything.

That said, I'm all for a freeze function to be added in Reaper, but only if it's truly useable AND if it doesn't remove current capability (which, as you pointed out, do require more mouse clicks BUT also offers more flexibility).

Justin, reading from his post on the subject, seems to be resisting this thought. I don't know why, but he did resist the metronome idea for a while, yet, he finally ended up with a very good implementation of it. Let's hope the same thing happens with freeze.

Last edited by bullshark; 12-07-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Jae.Thomas

omg T's freeze is the worst out there.

look at samp for a good freeze
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
eMaRe

JBM is right. Freeze would be great anf Samplitude does it well. One reason besides reliability and ease is that it renders to a wav with and intelligent name. Then (I believe) when you unfreeze, it doesn't delete this file, until you refreeze. This is good because suppose you reformat or change computers, then you unfreeze a track on an old project and realize a needed plugin is missing and you don't have it anymore. You're done for! But if it's still there, you can just go and drop it into a new track. That saved me a few times.
eMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote