Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
LisaKeithBrian
Human being with feelings

Default All lanes play at once

Reaper version 4.62 / Windows 7

Checked: Record mode normal
Checked: Create new media items in separate lanes (layers)
Checked: Show items in lanes when room

Not checked: Enable free item positioning

Record take one. Stop. Rewind. Record take two.

Takes are shown in lanes within one track.
I split the lanes into sections...are these called items?
I highlight a split section of lane one and a split section of lane two.
I expect the sections that are highlighted to play.

They do not play as selected, but play blended together at the same time. Selected portion of lane one plays with the unselected portion of lane two which lies directly beneath it in the track.

Please help. I am frustrated.
LisaKeithBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
luiso

Default Hello...

I had the same problem when I began to use Reaper, and you have to take a look at the manual to fully understand the power that lies within the beast!!!
A quick explanation: In Reaper you have only one type of track, TRACKS are containers of ITEMS, and items can contain TAKES.
Go to Options, New recording that overlaps... and Reaper can record in it's native:
Reaper's "create new takes (default)"
ProTools style "trim existing items (tape mode)"
Cubase style "create separate lanes (layers)"
you have to choose your way, which you have, it's lanes, but Reaper do not play the lanes in the order they were recorded, there is a Project Setting for that "Item mix behavior" which drives me crazy at first but once I understood it's logic it's a VERY powerful thing to use, you can have several coexisting items in one track all playing at the same time, that is useful for MIDI drums for example???
You have to set up your project settings/advanced/item mix behavior
the way you want it, and that can be changed by item also.
There are many requests about the lanes priority system and i hope that some day it would be the way they are chronologically recorded, like the take system, that after some trial and error I learned how to use it and it is great mostly for voices and solos overdubs, only try to make the takes even in size or it will auto split every pass.
OK, that's a quick start, go trough the manual and you will struggle a little at firs but it will pay you back later.
I have used all softwares around for about 20 years and Reaper is by far the most powerful and efficient that I have worked with, the workflow is FAST and you can customize it to all your needs...
Bye and Happy Reaping!!!!
luiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
LisaKeithBrian

Thanks for your kind reply.

This video is what I cannot do, but would like to learn how. Start watching about three minutes into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJ3...Pe7llP&index=2

I found Project Settings and tried all three options - enclosed, always mix and replace earlier items.

With one track with two takes and grid on "magnet" so that both items are the same length:

Enclosed items replace enclosing items - results in mixed play
Always mix - mixed play (totally expected that!)
Items always replace earlier items - take two plays (expected that, too!)

I still cannot split and choose the best sections from take one and two like in the attached YouTube video.

I am using this for vocals.

I've read the manual once just to try to get an overview of all of this. Been playing around with Reaper about eight years, but never have gotten this part. I've always used separate vocal tracks, then moved split items from each track to a final version track. This would be so much faster if I can figure it out.

Thank you so very much!

Lisa
Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
LisaKeithBrian

Correction: Maybe six years on Reaper. Long enough to know "more better" than I know!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeithBrian View Post
This video is what I cannot do, but would like to learn how. Start watching about three minutes into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJ3...Pe7llP&index=2
This doesn't work when using "New recordings that overlap existing media items" -> "Creates new media items in separate lanes (layers)"

As you've observed, when recording in this mode, the playback of the lanes is only determined by the "Item mix behaviour" setting. You could split and mute the items you don't want played though.

To do what's shown in the video you need to use "Splits existing items and creates new takes (default)"

I suggest having a look at the "takes" pdf here, for an overview of the different recording modes.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=36
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeithBrian View Post
Reaper version 4.62 / Windows 7

Checked: Record mode normal
Checked: Create new media items in separate lanes (layers)
Checked: Show items in lanes when room

Not checked: Enable free item positioning

Record take one. Stop. Rewind. Record take two.

Takes are shown in lanes within one track.
I split the lanes into sections...are these called items?
I highlight a split section of lane one and a split section of lane two.
I expect the sections that are highlighted to play.

They do not play as selected, but play blended together at the same time. Selected portion of lane one plays with the unselected portion of lane two which lies directly beneath it in the track.

Please help. I am frustrated.
You would need to mute the items you don't want to play. Just like you would if there were only one item in the track. Use item mute (not the track control). There's a preference setting to give you a little mute button to click in the header bar of the item.

There IS a different recording mode (normally used for midi editing I believe) that combines any takes you record into a single item. Editing is fully restricted in that all "parts" of the item will edit together. You can't manipulate the takes as separate items. But it has the curious feature that all items/parts of the multitake item will be muted unless you select them (the behavior you were requesting). Except that you will be restricted from select any items that overlap. And further you would not be allowed to have items that overlapped - edit one and the same edit is made to all.

This would be a useful feature if it could be applied to audio overdubbing mode (that you have correctly set up with new takes as separate items in their own lanes).

You could select all the items and click item mute (muting all of them).
Them select the ones you want to hear and click mute (to unmute all selected).

I prefer to record parts in a track, letting takes stack up in lanes as I go. I usually never monitor this track. I instead make new tracks below it to drop parts into to build my arrangement. This lets you grab whatever parts you want, change your mind later and grab a different take, go back and forth as much as you need until you have your final arrangement built. And you can still record more little parts where ever you need as well as slip in a bit from an older take if you change your mind.

No restrictions and you can track and arrange as fast as you can speak what you want to do.

Remember, everything is selection based in Reaper. Only selected items (including selections of multiple items) are the target of the thing you want to do.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
LisaKeithBrian

I've researched the forum before but not posted. Obviously this is a great resource and I should not have hesitated.

Can't wait to try your suggestions!

I'm a southern girl and know "nice" when I see it. You folks are totally nice!

God bless!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
luiso

Default for vocals the take system...

For vocals I use the default take system but with the recording mode in autopunch time selection or selected item to keep the takes lined up, then you click the one you want to listen to, before I used tracks inside a folder like lanes but it is too slow for me, once you get it the takes are better for vocals, at least for me, the disadvantage is that you can't punch yourself, it has to be with autopunch or you end up with a lot of splits and also there is no prerecord option this way either.
I just have used Reaper for 8 months and already have speeded up my workflow over the OTHER DAWS by 200 percent but I'm still VERY new to it yet.
I want to thanks to serr and nofish for all their posts, you guys have saved me years of trial and error...
this is indeed a GREAT forum and the people are always helpful!!!
luiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
LisaKeithBrian

Default It's working!

Thank you so much for helping me set things up to do what I wanted. I've got it now. Such an awesome group to share your knowledge! I continue to believe in the goodness of most of the folks on this planet.

Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 AM   #10
atza

Check in project settings (alt and enter) "mix mode" when items overlap.

I know I had hard time figuring that out because I was used to Sonar which handles different lanes in tracks differently (as if they are tracks too,you can play them together, mute/unmute/, fade...)
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
rvrv

WOW !!!

Ok takes are fine, they have been around for some time in DAWs and they are fairly linear and quite constrained by timeline, punch in/out points, etc.

The "Lanes (Layers)" approach is more like layers in Photoshop and with "Free Item Positioning" its a total game changer... now you compose music like compositing graphics or video in Photoshop or AfterEffects

Make sure to enable all 3 for really CRAZY possibilities

a) Options / Create New Media Items in separate Lanes (Layers)
b) Track / Enable Track Free Item Positioning
c) Project Settings / Advanced / Item mix behavior / Items Always Mix

Just a DEMO of the compositing possibilities below... also using inline MIDI editor on some items:

Attached Images
File Type: gif crazy_comp.gif (52.8 KB, 2535 views)
rvrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
poetnprophet

hello 2014!! thanks for the tip
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote