Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default If I could of co-created and produced this song ... I would have !

If I could of co-created and produced this song... I would have !

Greetings.

Here on the Reaper Forum, there are many, many songs that we love and enjoy as amateurs and professional song co-creators and producers. Sure..., we love what we create and produce. That's a given. But...

Is there a song out there that you wish you had co-created and produced?

Personally, I have a few, but I always come back to this song, which seems very simple until you really listen to all the subtleties in the song, the arrangement, and production - best use headphones to get the real deal.

IMO, the sonic quality is impeccable. The arrangement is complex and well layered out. The vocals are incredible. The guitars, accompaniment and lead (solo) are, just, WOW! The mix and mastering of the song works on all devices, from cheap speakers, headphones, to speakers.

So, please share the song that you wish you had co-created and produced. Tell us why?

Heck, perhaps this thread can become a resource for people looking for reference tracks to help them better mix their songs in Reaper?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:17 AM   #2
martifingers
Human being with feelings

So many and so subjective! But here's a rather neglected masterpiece IMHO. If you want subtleties, great playing and quite stunning control of complex dynamics and textures, not really a song but the entire 1 hour of AMAROK by Mike Oldfield. The sound is perfect. (It's really funny too!)
On a slightly different tack I wished I had had a hand in the Honeydog's "10000 Years" one of the finest rock albums most people have never heard of.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
So many and so subjective! But here's a rather neglected masterpiece IMHO. If you want subtleties, great playing and quite stunning control of complex dynamics and textures, not really a song but the entire 1 hour of AMAROK by Mike Oldfield. The sound is perfect. (It's really funny too!)
On a slightly different tack I wished I had had a hand in the Honeydog's "10000 Years" one of the finest rock albums most people have never heard of.
Yeah, I've enjoyed listening to Mike Oldfield's stuff for years. Never heard of Honeydog, gotta Youtube that!
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
martifingers

Please do so, it's quite a trip. But I better warn you it's both a concept album (very unfashionable huh?) and very very strange (in a marvellous way!)
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Pashkuli
Banned

Heart were amazing! I must say - genius band. Although most of their songs production sounded like a well done demo.
Roxette "stole" some of their ideas and turned them into beautiful sounding masterpieces of the 80s. But we all know they were Heart fans anyway.
The best song I wish I could reproduce would be any song by Queen.
The oldest probably would be any by Peggy Lee or The Drifters.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
kirk1701

Interesting question. Obviously, we take The Beatles as read.

This is going to sound weird coming from me, but my favourite stuff in a technical rather than musical sense is 70s pop.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall during any of ABBA's sessions. The separation they were getting in the 70s was pretty astounding. Those records are balanced on a razor's edge. They could easily fall into schmaltz or a complete joke at any second.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
karbomusic

Musicianship in general for whatever reason was very high in the '70s - it's kind of difficult to overlook - some of that could be there were a lot of bands that were culminations of studio musicians.

It's also possible it was a natural peak early in rock-n-roll's coming of age and the pop music decline or dumbing down since then - meaning variety in composition and structure (and in many cases musicianship) is much narrower and simpler now in the mainstream IMHO. My 2 cents minus any actual data points.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
foxAsteria

When I came across "New Born" by Muse, I had been working on a song that was vaguely similar and my "band" was even using the same name. But it was so damned good, I just wished I could have written it. Pretty sweet vid too.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
karbomusic

Watch their "making of" videos. There abilities and talent are mind blowing. Reminds me a lot of the virtuosity of ELP.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
foxAsteria

I didn't know that existed. Will definitely look for them later. Do you mean ELO? Dunno ELP...

I saw them right before they got really big in the states and it's still the best concert I've ever been to. They didn't say a single thing but "thank you" at the very end, barely paused between songs, all my friends were there and I knew every single track. Good times!

Heart is amazing though. Wish all pop music was so well crafted.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I didn't know that existed. Will definitely look for them later. Do you mean ELO? Dunno ELP...
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Very tough to mix the two up. ELP is NOT pop. ELO is.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Musicianship in general for whatever reason was very high in the '70s - it's kind of difficult to overlook - some of that could be there were a lot of bands that were culminations of studio musicians.

It's also possible it was a natural peak early in rock-n-roll's coming of age and the pop music decline or dumbing down since then - meaning variety in composition and structure (and in many cases musicianship) is much narrower and simpler now in the mainstream IMHO. My 2 cents minus any actual data points.
My theory is that the popsters in the '70s were trying to breeze through with the most simple banal stuff possible just like they are today. The difference was they had to employ musicians. There weren't any machines that could be convincing enough. Some creativity ended up coming out of those musicians despite the best efforts to sanitize it. Today we have machines that make the cut. (Maybe not for some of us, but they sure do for the casual pop audience.) No need for those pesky musicians anymore! Now everything can be built out of smooth beautiful plastic.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
karbomusic

Yep I mean ELP regardless of pop. I agree also... heart is amazing, their musicianship is top shelf. Learning any of their old tunes, especially the early records is an eye opener (at least as a guitar player).

I have much respect for Jeff Lynne as well but he is ELO.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
SoundGuyDave

The thing that I always LOVED about Heart, particularly the early stuff was the way they used texture. Look at the breakdown in "Love Alive," specifically at 2:09. Layer upon layer upon layer of tone, electrics, acoustics, mandolins, and one of the most propulsive bass lines outside of funk you'll ever hear. Complete contrast to the backbeat feel of the first two minutes. Then the vocal layers come in and just keep building and building. Absolutely magnificent, and I have to say, looking back at it, a major influence on my production values...
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #15
ts335

Multiple things come to mind but Chaka Khan's Through the Fire is an extremely well built tune production wise and no one can sing it like Chaka. But more recently is Tomi Malm's Favor. Frank Adahl sings his butt off. Simon Philips on drums and Alex Al on bass - WOW! The production, arrangement, and playing are off the charts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6C0XvE9g8
Old 10-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #16
Bazzbass

I'm intrigued

you say "could of " then "should have"

firstly, could you please explain what "should of" actually means?

and if you don't see any error in 'could of", why did you not repeat it later?

sorry, it bugs me greatly.

yeah, someone wrote a good song, yeah, a few people have written good songs. My friend Toby writes many good songs.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #17
jp65535

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
If I could of co-created and produced this song...
Gates Of Delirium by YES

Every time I listen to it, I just sit and imagine what it must have been like to mix that epic. (Not to mention performing it!)

So many pieces and parts and movements. Starting with the opening melody, building and moving into the complete chaos of the battle, that swell and release of tensions, and then, the simple beauty of the final movement.

For me, I can close my eyes and 'see a movie'.

Yep, that is a song I would have loved to have been at the console during it's creation.
jp65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp65535 View Post
Gates Of Delirium by YES

Every time I listen to it, I just sit and imagine what it must have been like to mix that epic. (Not to mention performing it!)

So many pieces and parts and movements. Starting with the opening melody, building and moving into the complete chaos of the battle, that swell and release of tensions, and then, the simple beauty of the final movement.

For me, I can close my eyes and 'see a movie'.

Yep, that is a song I would have loved to have been at the console during it's creation.
Eddie Offord was one of the big guns.
Have you heard the 5.1 remix by Steve Wilson? (And the rest of the Yes 5.1 remixes?) These are the real deal too.

Heh, full circle...
I don't want to put down on Heart at all but I've always heard a lot lifted from Yours Is No Disgrace in Crazy On You.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote