Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
gmgmgm
Human being with feelings

Default Question re possibility of keyswitch entering script

I'm not sure where best to post this, so please feel free to move it if here's inappropriate.

Perhaps scripting offers a way to improve working with keyswitches in the MIDI editor. (For those not working with VSTi's, a keyswitch is a note which instructs an instrument to change which articulation it's using, e.g. MIDI note C0 might select 'Legato', C1 'Staccato', etc.)

I'm interested to know if the following function would be possible through Lua scripting:

In the MIDI editor...
User selects a note and executes the script.
A menu appears containing a list of articulations (legato, sustain, con sord, whatever).
User selects an articulation.
An appropriate note is inserted a few ticks before the selected note.

The script would need to be able to load different lists of keyswitch definitions as required by the user, depending on what VSTi is being worked with.

The number of ticks would need to be user definable, possibly loaded with the list of keyswitch definitions since it would usually only change per VSTi.

The length of the inserted note would need to be user definable in the same way, and independent of Reaper's current note insertion settings.

I imagine the keyswitch definition lists would be plain text files of note/articulation pairs, much like the current note name maps. Ideally, it would actually be a note name map with the ticks and note length parameters included, presumably appearing as a comment to Reaper.

If this is possible, I'd be very tempted to learn Lua scripting just to implement it.

It'd be a serious workflow improvement when working with many VSTi's: not having to try to remember all the damn keyswitches, not having to constantly scroll up and down to enter them. Paired with an appropriate note name map I could work with keyswitches by articulation name and not be forever translating back to notes. It wouldn't be Cubase's Expression Maps, but it would be a significant improvement on how I'm working now.

So, is something along these lines possible? And if so, what's a good starting point for learning Lua scripting?
gmgmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
FnA

I googled making a menu in Lua. Since I don't know the language, that would be the hard part for me. Nearly certain everything else is doable with eel, or Lua I bet. MIDI_InsertNote is broke in official version. I think it's fixed in v5 pre. I don't know if a menu could be made in eel. GetUserInputs returns focus to Main window. Makes me mad. Maybe the gfx window could be used as a menu. That suffers the same problem I think. Maybe someone will kill two birds with one stone and show how to use Lua to stop that. Menu or some kind of input device.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
MrVoice

Id like to bump this.
I was going for more general question as "if there are any possible way to do something like Cubase expression maps?" and found this thread searching.

This and Cubase midieditor are still 2 things that sometimes make me want to change.
But I always think that "it will come in reaper", so heres for hoping

If anyone have some kind of shortcut or script etc, please tell.
It would be awsome for us working with orchestral librarys.
The possibility to cut down 300-800 tracks to ca 100-200 would sure speed up the workflow.

/Nick
MrVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
sambosun

I'm looking for a similar solution.
Cubase offers the ability of directions and attributes. The cool thing about attributes:
If you apply "Legato" as articulation attribute the articulation moves with the note if you move it like velocity does. Whereas directions stay where you put them like track based automation.

I am looking for a script that allows the above or the ability to paint stepped automation curves into the item like this

As you can see the names like legato and spiccato are also readable alongside the automation node.
sambosun is offline   Reply With Quote