Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default New way of looking at MIDIs tumbling blocks

I have decided to try this on for size:
Every time I find myself reaching to do something MIDI in reaper and cant, I will post an ask here and see if anyone has figured out how to do it.

1. My biggest problem with reaper MIDI. Is there a way to select on the timeline and then cut and paste or copy and paste ALL the items on ALL the tracks in your project?

Why? SO I can write/record a verse or a chorus backing and then just duplicate it and slap it where I want it.
So a song that goes Intro verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus solo chorus outro can be assembled from ONE iteration of (for example) the bed tracks of bass drums piano and or rhythm guitar. Ideally mixed MIDI and audio, but I would settle for MIDI only.

In my existing sequencer I can generate a basic MIDI backing for a song in little more than the time it takes to play each of the bed tracks in once.
I would much rather do this simple little step in reaper if it is possible.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have decided to try this on for size:
Every time I find myself reaching to do something MIDI in reaper and cant, I will post an ask here and see if anyone has figured out how to do it.

1. My biggest problem with reaper MIDI. Is there a way to select on the timeline and then cut and paste or copy and paste ALL the items on ALL the tracks in your project?

Why? SO I can write/record a verse or a chorus backing and then just duplicate it and slap it where I want it.
So a song that goes Intro verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus solo chorus outro can be assembled from ONE iteration of (for example) the bed tracks of bass drums piano and or rhythm guitar. Ideally mixed MIDI and audio, but I would settle for MIDI only.

In my existing sequencer I can generate a basic MIDI backing for a song in little more than the time it takes to play each of the bed tracks in once.
I would much rather do this simple little step in reaper if it is possible.
There's a couple ways (at least - you know how Reaper is):
1. Create a time selection.
2. Press "Shift-R" to create a Region from the time selection.
3. Now you can Ctrl-drag to copy that region to wherever you want, and it will take with it everything in the region.

Method 2, without regions:
2. Press Ctrl-A to select All.
3. Press Ctrl-C to copy (assuming you have the default "Smart Copy" still assigned to Ctrl-C.)
3. Click on the topmost track that contains selected data.
4. Click the spot on the timeline where you want to paste your stuff.
5. Press Ctrl-V
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
ivansc

I'll give both methods a try and see if either works anything like easily enough. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
ivansc

Well second method sorta works, which is great! Thanks. I will go back and see if I can get method one working too.

Excellent.
Thank you very much.
Best progress I have made on getting an answer to at least one thing that has bugged me.

Wish we had a "proper" arrange blocker outer to do it though... SO much easier.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
3. Now you can Ctrl-drag to copy that region to wherever you want, and it will take with it everything in the region.

Number one.This is great idea for a thread Ivan.I look forward to following it.

No.2...Holy Crap Kevin..that is fucking awesome.I always wanted to know how to do that.I've been going about it all wrong.

Sometimes I miss thereal obvious things..even after reading the manual.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Guido

Quote:

Method 2, without regions:
2. Press Ctrl-A to select All.
3. Press Ctrl-C to copy (assuming you have the default "Smart Copy" still assigned to Ctrl-C.)
3. Click on the topmost track that contains selected data.
4. Click the spot on the timeline where you want to paste your stuff.
5. Press Ctrl-V
Thx kevin..thats what i love to see...Sometimes I think its not so much things "wrong "w using midi in Reaper...since like version 2.xxx or even 3.00..its that its hard for ppl to know what u can and cant do,,and figure out a workflow method.

As an example..and i use nothing but Reaper for my recordings and SCOUR every prerelease and the forums for any midi stuff...Ive always missed a midi editing feature from logic that would allow me to correct overlapping notes not on the same pitch. Like if u play a mono/solo mode synth bass line with two hands , the tiny overlaps between the R and L hand kill the attack of the sound produced.

I posted onetime about it and no one was interested, and I just gave up. Then the other day i was looking in the Action list for something, and there it was..but its called..Set note ends to start of nest note.

btw this is still not EXACTLY the same in that I dont see a way yet to do all notes or selected notes by another criteria..but hey its a lot better than doin it manually^^..and there may be a way with a Reascript or clever macro or something.

My point is..reaper is a DIY in a lot of ways. And there IS a whole lot more that Reaper has to learn about midi from the midi powerhouses of 1992^^ but depending on what one's original midi workflow was...eg guys using keys and traditional midi controllers to get their parts in and then edit..or guys who have done it like that german fellow w sonar making orchestral music with his mouse and a qwerty keyboard..both require a different Reaper midi skillset.not the user i mean Reaper. One is more midi realtime manipulation, and the other is a lot more about Reaper s midi editor. But believe me i know there are a few areas in there where Reaper "sucks".^^

So i welcome any tips from ppl like the one u posted Kevin. Thx

guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
ivansc

quote: Sometimes I think its not so much things "wrong "w using midi in Reaper...since like version 2.xxx or even 3.00..its that its hard for ppl to know what u can and cant do,,and figure out a workflow method.

Nail on head, Guido and why I started this thread.

Ridiculously, I'm pretty sure I count as a MIDI power user, but the sheer weight of information in the manual and the lack of much significant bedrock MIDI information in any other format were what led me to start this fledgeling thread.

I am hoping other people will chime in with stuff that makes them go "????" but theoretically SHOULD be do-able NOW in reaper.
sometimes it feels like we are reinventing the wheel, but most of the time it is a case of finding the right language to express what we are trying unsuccessfully to do.
I hate that we seem to focus on the stuff we KNOW Reaper cant do yet, so lets try and find things we didnt know it CAN do.

And before anyone suggests it, I HAVE been all over 'reaper tips and tricks' looking for relevant stuff.

Next one is going to involve CCs.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
bardo

This is exactly why I read this forum everyday.

Bardo
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
KevinW

Quote:
Well second method sorta works
Could you be more specific about what sorta DOESN'T work about it?

BTW, I wouldn't consider this to be midi related. However, I don't think it's possible to do this in the ME alone, since you can only work on one midi item at a time.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Viente

Furthermore you can make a one-click macro to use this method
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
bardo

Works!
Tried both ways,
Something went wrong( sure it was my fault)with the region method (1)
Second method worked like a charm

Lov this place!

Bardo
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Guido

Quote:
quote: Sometimes I think its not so much things "wrong "w using midi in Reaper...since like version 2.xxx or even 3.00..its that its hard for ppl to know what u can and cant do,,and figure out a workflow method.

Nail on head, Guido and why I started this thread.

Ridiculously, I'm pretty sure I count as a MIDI power user, but the sheer weight of information in the manual and the lack of much significant bedrock MIDI information in any other format were what led me to start this fledgeling thread.

I am hoping other people will chime in with stuff that makes them go "????" but theoretically SHOULD be do-able NOW in reaper.
sometimes it feels like we are reinventing the wheel, but most of the time it is a case of finding the right language to express what we are trying unsuccessfully to do.
I hate that we seem to focus on the stuff we KNOW Reaper cant do yet, so lets try and find things we didnt know it CAN do.

And before anyone suggests it, I HAVE been all over 'reaper tips and tricks' looking for relevant stuff.

Next one is going to involve CCs.
Hi,

That is a cool idea daddy o!

Thanx for starting this thread ivansc,

Guido
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
Could you be more specific about what sorta DOESN'T work about it?

BTW, I wouldn't consider this to be midi related. However, I don't think it's possible to do this in the ME alone, since you can only work on one midi item at a time.
I spent about thirty seconds trying each of the methods out. first one did nothing when I tried the "shift r" part o I moved on to 2.
2 worked fine apart from I had a slight issue with WHERE my moved section got pasted, but essentially worked fine and I suspect once I get to try it in a proper project it will be at least ONE answer to my dilemma.

Guido thanks for the kind words - I really hope this thread does keep going as a POSITIVE resource for Reaper MIDI, but who knows?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
mikeroephonics

I think this would need to be implemented for your request to be possible (maybe not. Not sure)

FR: MIDI Filter Events Box: Allow multiple MIDI Items across Tracks to be selected, edited, simultaneously. All this within a single MIDI Editor.
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2573

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 04-30-2012 at 02:48 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #15
ivansc

right in one mike - I have voted on that and many other MIDI oriented FRs, none of which seem to make it onto the elevated FR list or get any notice taken.... SORRY! NO MIDI negativity in this thread allowed1

Last edited by ivansc; 04-30-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #16
mikeroephonics

I'll be sure not to be negative about MIDI. My thinking is that REAPER would need to be able to have the ability to move MIDI events which exist across multiple tracks all at once, left & right (time-wise), and also up & down (transpose.)

Doing this with only MIDI data under the time selection range would be great (like we can do with audio.) I'm suggesting that REAPER would probably have my FR added first.

To be extra super duper clear, I'd love both your idea and mine to be implemented.

Also related to BOTH our ideas:
FR: MIDI Editor: Group Notes, CCs, Prg.Changes, Etc
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3505
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #17
Viente

Not sure if this what you mean but you can transpose MIDI events outside MIDI editor. Look for actions
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #18
ivansc

I think an awful lot of Reapers current MIDI limitations stem from the MIDI data being only editable as discrete items, rather than on a per track basis.

It never has made sense to me that we are not able to edit ALL the midiitems in one track (let alone a group of tracks)simultaneously by simply lassoing and selecting.

But I also get the impression that the MIDI as Items method is core to Reapers handling of MIDI events.

And unlikely to be easy to change, more's the pity.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #19
gofer
-blänk-

Would per-track really help much in this usecase?

You say in the OP that ideally the workflow you're looking for handles audio and MIDI at the same time. The only reasonable way I see is doing the arrange work in the main arrange area copying/shifting items/parts of items around.
Or is there a new request to also edit audio data from the MIDI editor [insert friendly grinning smiley here]?

I think another misbehavior of Reaper - namely how it handles splitting of MIDI notes (when an item split cuts a MIDI note into two separate notes) - comes much more into question here than item versus track based MIDI editor. Personally I find this issue much more urgent than the "edit multiple items simultaneously" thing.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #20
KevinW

Quote:
I spent about thirty seconds trying each of the methods out. first one did nothing when I tried the "shift r" part o I moved on to 2.
2 worked fine apart from I had a slight issue with WHERE my moved section got pasted, but essentially worked fine and I suspect once I get to try it in a proper project it will be at least ONE answer to my dilemma.

Guido thanks for the kind words - I really hope this thread does keep going as a POSITIVE resource for Reaper MIDI, but who knows?
For me, Shift-R is assigned to "Markers:Insert region from time selection". Maybe yours got reassigned? (moot if the other method works for you.)

You mentioned your next question will be about CC's. I'm interested in seeing your question, since CC's are one area I definitely want to learn - I don't really know what questions to even ask. I like the idea of this thread, and hope that it becomes a sort of gathering of ways to use what we already have, with links to full-on FR's, (like has been done so far), rather than...not that.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #21
ivansc

My current methodology with both CC SYSEX etc editing AND MIDI plugins could not be easier.

I can select from a drop down menu on the top menu bar exactly what I see or dont see in the MIDI editor.

Lyrics (ch4 by convention) aftertouch, in fact everything you can view as text in the list editor becomes part of the MIDI editor view.
As far as plugins are concerned you just select from ANOTHER drop down menu of all your installed MIDI plugs. BPP comes with a ton and it is really easy to roll your own.

From that menu alone I can filter all MIDI data and apply multiple plugs, which have parameters that are either individually editable or globally so.

A typical use for me would be to modify all notes on a track to be boosted in velocity overall but the range of velocity reduced from 100% to 90% or scaled to between velocity 25 and velocity 110 proportionally. I know this is impossible in Reaper right now without some serious head scratching, if at all, but hopefully this gives you guys an idea of how far advanced the MIDI capabilities of my external sequencer really are. This is the tip of the iceberg.

But I am getting ahead of myself.
I plan to ask for possibilities that I miss but that do appear do-able with reaper as it is now.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
G.T.D.

Quote:
I think an awful lot of Reapers current MIDI limitations stem from the MIDI data being only editable as discrete items, rather than on a per track basis.

It never has made sense to me that we are not able to edit ALL the midiitems in one track (let alone a group of tracks)simultaneously by simply lassoing and selecting.

But I also get the impression that the MIDI as Items method is core to Reapers handling of MIDI events.

And unlikely to be easy to change, more's the pity.
Indeed! I prefer Reaper to other DAWs I've used, but miss the simple per track MIDI tweaks. On changing a VSTi for example it may be necessary to raise or lower the data an octave or scale the velocity to make it suit the responsiveness of the new instrument. I know we have plugins which can achieve this, but in Logic Audio for example, it was so immediate....
G.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
gofer
-blänk-

I have no experience whatsoever with lyric events, but you can see and edit them in a piano roll "text events" lane. Alas all kinds of MIDI text events share the same lane, so you need to specify the inserted events as lyric events in their property box IIRC.
There is also a set of actions especially for lyric events in the piano roll section which look useful. I believe we have to thank the RockBand gaming thingy for those . Lyric events move with their associated notes and can be moved note-wise, navigated individually, imported etc.

Sysex and channel aftertouch can be done pretty nicely in a piano roll "CC" lane as well, fortunately. They all are editable in the event list, but I avoid using it whenever possible, for the same reasons as everybody else. Polyphonic aftertouch is only available in the event list view.

Don't slap me for mentioning, I'd prefer something else myself: For track-wide velocity offset you could use a pre-fx volume envelope (with a single value). For scaling you'll need a plugin (JS: IX/MIDI_Tool has velocity scale and offset for example - and transpose ). Both workarounds are not much head scratching at all (once one stops grumbling about having to work around in the first place). You can even DIY some velocity offset track control knobs, if you like.
Things could be better, but that's were we're at, right now: Plugin's are often the way to go. I recommend to save an FX chain with MIDI_Tools 2 and ReaControlMIDI and your favorite parameters visible as track control. It'll give you (about) all the common track-wide MIDI parameters - apart from groove and quantize stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #24
ivansc

ageed, gopher - just wish all my BPP MIDI plugs/tools could be easily ported to work in Reaper. That would solve the vast majority of my stumbling blocks in one go.

I may fire up the Amiga and actually use each and every tool & report them here, just to see if there IS already a Reaper alternative method. Good suggestion.

First ones would be the modulate tool and the transpose tool, one of which is one-for-one and the other key sensitive.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
Tod

Quote:
For scaling you'll need a plugin (JS: IX/MIDI_Tool has velocity scale and offset for example - and transpose ).
Hey gofer, I'm not sure what you mean by "scale and offset", the only thing I've been able to get it to do is adjust velocities that are outside of the Min/Max boundaries. It's got a random% velocity setting but all I got were some weird results.

Quote:
I may fire up the Amiga and actually use each and every tool & report them here, just to see if there IS already a Reaper alternative method. Good suggestion.
Good idea ivan, I'll be watching for this for the rest of the day. I have a feeling gofer might come up with interesting ideas. Right now I've got around 60 buttons in my main midi toolbar and I think I've got rooom for at least 20 more.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #26
Guido

Hi,

I was just about to post about the plugin way but gofer beat me to it.All i can add is the mention of the insertpiz midi stuff. like here...

Notice gofer that there is no midi button for using the "internal midi buses now in Reaper"

If all midi using plugs had this in REaper, then u could somehow send midi info by multiple note criteria easily to "track{s}" that are really Logic Env Objects?

Could even include a Walter layout with no fader.. pan...etc just a midi processing "object". I wont go further here not to derail the op.Sorry..just wanted to mention the insertpiz.

Carry on...

Guido

Edit

Quote:

First ones would be the modulate tool and the transpose tool, one of which is one-for-one and the other key sensitive.
I think u MAY save some time by looking at Darkstars thread about midi utilities. Im not sayin it will solve all..but if u wernt using Reaper to even copy and paste, then i have a hunch that many of the utilities would be new to u..but i could be wrong.^^

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33795

I cant find the thread i originaly got the midi VST stuff from..sorry..but i know u can find them.

Last edited by Guido; 05-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Good idea ivan, I'll be watching for this for the rest of the day. I have a feeling gofer might come up with interesting ideas. Right now I've got around 60 buttons in my main midi toolbar and I think I've got rooom for at least 20 more.
Just got in from rehearsal and have the same again tomorrow so it will be thursday or friday before I get a big enough block of time for this
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hey gofer, I'm not sure what you mean by "scale and offset", the only thing I've been able to get it to do is adjust velocities that are outside of the Min/Max boundaries. It's got a random% velocity setting but all I got were some weird results.
Oops, it indeed has no velocity offset :O I thought it did, probably we should ask Ixix to add a slider for completeness . Velocity scaling in percentage is there though (1 slider above "random velocity".

Something's off with my browser, I'm not ignoring you, Guido . Ivan's and your post just came to view when I submitted this one...
Right, I also miss the bus routing in MIDI FX plugs. I just noticed it toying around with Arp!0. There should be a better way to do the routing though, than the tedious context menu. Audio pin routing is a little more comfortable, but I like to see some FX chain wide modular uber audio/MIDI channel/bus plugin signal routing playground. Best combined with the parameter modulation stuff, I guess. I just would like to see all that stuff together. As of now I rather use individual tracks for some routings, even if they wouldn't be necessary, because otherwise I wouldn't ever have a chance to come back later and find out what's happening.

Last edited by gofer; 05-01-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post

Something's off with my browser, I'm not ignoring you, Guido . Ivan's and your post just came to view when I submitted this one...
Right, I also miss the bus routing in MIDI FX plugs. I just noticed it toying around with Arp!0. There should be a better way to do the routing though, than the tedious context menu. Audio pin routing is a little more comfortable, but I like to see some FX chain wide modular uber audio/MIDI channel/bus plugin signal routing playground. Best combined with the parameter modulation stuff, I guess. I just would like to see all that stuff together. As of now I rather use individual tracks for some routings, even if they wouldn't be necessary, because otherwise I wouldn't ever have a chance to come back later and find out what's happening.
Hi,

lol...funny ..was wonderin^^. Again, gofer u nail it. The same concept tho. i was just trying to get it implemented "on the cheap" dev time wise. I remember a long time ago i said in some post..just listen to gofer about reapers midi, And it still like that.^^

The one personal thing..well it would just be of use to drums and perc maybe...is routing by note number. Like the old logic drum mapping object.

Yes in the fx chain..i was thinking in Recontrol midi..like the way the log window slides out. But ur way makes efficient routing more easily accomplished. Nice.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #30
ivansc

Had a quick look at the darkstar thread which had somehow slipped under my reaper radar.

Will take a while to wade through that lot but my first reaction was "they are huge and they are messy and ugly as all get-out. Why?"

I must figure out a way of doing a screenshot on the Amiga in a PC readable format so I can actually SHOW you guys what my MIDI plugs look like in use.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #31
djjedidiah

You know, I was reading that comment about 1992, and it hit me that: now that we finally have good sounding midi instruments and a DAW that really gets the performance out of multi-core CPU for those monster vsti, the midi features are indeed from 1992.
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjedidiah View Post
You know, I was reading that comment about 1992, and it hit me that: now that we finally have good sounding midi instruments and a DAW that really gets the performance out of multi-core CPU for those monster vsti, the midi features are indeed from 1992.
Hi,

I wish they were!^^ I get what your sayin

guido

Ps denver huh? used to live there a couple 3 years ...round 75..lived on Sheridan Ave..and i worked at Micky's Inn on the road to bolder..huh..^^..it had a restuarant a package store under the club. No way its still there is it?.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #33
ivansc

Default Bars n Pipes basic MIDI tools/plugins

Here we go then.
First is my most-used one, the Velocity modifier tool.
Now remember this is used by selecting it from a drop-down tool menu and drag n dropping it on the track or tracks you want to effect, OR it can be placed in a holding pen where it can be accessed by selecting "process item" on however many tracks you like or even from single notes to passages of music.

The main window has slider controls for scale percentage, numerical shift, a minimum velocity setting and a maximum. You can set all of these and then either clip to the range selected or scale to range.

I wish I could save a screenshot from my Amiga to demonstrate this.

More to follow. Hopefully you guys will "get" how incredibly useful and versatile this tool is.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #34
KevinW

Quote:
Hopefully you guys will "get" how incredibly useful and versatile this tool is.
As I said earlier, one of the reasons I'm following this thread is to learn some other things people use midi for, so count me as one who doesn't quite get this one yet.

Since you can't do screen shot of the amiga, I wonder if it would be helpful to compare this particular tool with the JS: MIDI/midi_velocitycontrol fx in Reaper. It has the multiply/add/range functions you describe. The limitation is probably that it's applied as a track or item FX, rather than just on a selection of notes in the ME. Is that it? I hope you don't mind me trying to learn along with you here.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
ivansc

Not at all - that is why I started this thread. I lack the wors sometimes to explain adequately, but I am trying.

The big thing with velocity manipulation in BPP is that you dont have to scratch your head thinking about HOW do change velocities anywhere.

I can quite literally select as much or as little of a whole PROJECT, never mind a whole track or bar and apply These changes on the fly.
All that is needed is to put the velocity modifier tool in one slot of the toolbox and then set up its parameters to what you want. you then lasso or shift-select whatever you want to change and then click "apply tool". End of.

Or as I said before you can add the velocity tool to the end of the pipeline for a particular track and then it doesn't change anything destructively, so you really do have the best of both worlds.

I am off to Amigaland to see if anyone can tell me how to take screenshots that are readable by PC or Mac....

Ha Ha! I now have a half a dozen screen grab utilities, all free. Hopefully one of them will save in a PC readable format.....

Last edited by ivansc; 05-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #36
captain_caveman

If you want, I can do some screenshots for you tonight. Let me know, I think I've got just about every BnP tool.... beach etc.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Would per-track really help much in this usecase?

You say in the OP that ideally the workflow you're looking for handles audio and MIDI at the same time. The only reasonable way I see is doing the arrange work in the main arrange area copying/shifting items/parts of items around.
Or is there a new request to also edit audio data from the MIDI editor [insert friendly grinning smiley here]?

I think another misbehavior of Reaper - namely how it handles splitting of MIDI notes (when an item split cuts a MIDI note into two separate notes) - comes much more into question here than item versus track based MIDI editor. Personally I find this issue much more urgent than the "edit multiple items simultaneously" thing.
All down to how we are used to working, I guess. I use an arrange window in BnPP but it actually works in a logical manner. The view gives you each MIDI track in its own horizontal line, divided into bars. You then select and copy/cut/paste to your hearts content as much or as little as you need.

Still working on a screenshot saver for the Amiga that is viewable in PC format, but imagine having a matrix of cells arranged linearly and each little cell representing a bar of music for a particular instrument. You then select whatever you want to copy etc with a click-shift select and get the action you want from a standard drop down menu with keyboard shortcuts available.
with this type of arrange window a song can be assembled one you have the basic tracks with ONE BAR of each section being all that is required to be sequenced.
Makes me almost weep with frustration when I have to leave this and go back to Reaper to put it all together....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #38
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_caveman View Post
If you want, I can do some screenshots for you tonight. Let me know, I think I've got just about every BnP tool.... beach etc.
You are my hero! read your PMs.....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #39
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
All down to how we are used to working, I guess. I use an arrange window in BnPP but it actually works in a logical manner. The view gives you each MIDI track in its own horizontal line, divided into bars. You then select and copy/cut/paste to your hearts content as much or as little as you need.

Still working on a screenshot saver for the Amiga that is viewable in PC format, but imagine having a matrix of cells arranged linearly and each little cell representing a bar of music for a particular instrument. You then select whatever you want to copy etc with a click-shift select and get the action you want from a standard drop down menu with keyboard shortcuts available.
with this type of arrange window a song can be assembled one you have the basic tracks with ONE BAR of each section being all that is required to be sequenced.
Makes me almost weep with frustration when I have to leave this and go back to Reaper to put it all together....
Probably BnPP benefits from not having to deal with audio there.
I mean, what's the point of arranging verse - chorus - etc, if existing audio doesn't follow? That is an edit to be done in arrange view, if you are using an audio+MIDI program IMO. Or audio is allowed to come up in the MIDI editor as well, which isn't as unthinkable as it may sound. Coming from Logic it's not far fetched to look at audio items as events, which could have their representation in a MIDI editor - Logics Event List could list on the "item" ("sequence" in Logic speak) level just fine, so it's probably thinkable to do it in a piano roll view.
Sorry, not much to do with the thread's point, I'm afraid. I'm just spitting out thoughts .
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #40
captain_caveman

Quote:
You are my hero! read your PMs.....
No worries, I haven't been able to get MIDI working in WinUAE since moving onto my new laptop, so here's a screeshot of a tiny nonsense project....

... I'll get the stuff in the PM next....

Here's the PRV type doo-dah with the show menu visible...

Modulator tool....

Last edited by captain_caveman; 05-09-2012 at 05:34 AM.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote