Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
mr. moon
Human being with feelings

Default EZ Drummer in Reaper tutorial?

Hi Folks,

I swear that I could remember reading a "How to get EZ Drummer to work in Reaper" thread somewhere around here a while back, but for the life of me I am unable to find it. I have searched "EZDruumer", "EZ Drummer", "Drummer", etc. and so on, however I still cannot find it.

If someone could post a link to the thread or just re-iterate the steps in creating a drum track/pattern using EZ Drummer in Reaper, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

-mr moon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Diogenes

1: Insert a blank track in Reaper. Set the desired tempo on the transport bar.
2: Open the "Add FX" dialog on the inserted track.
3: Choose EZdrummer amongst the VSTi's there...
4: EZdrummer will open and load samples into memory.
5: Click "Groove Library" button in EZdrummer.
6: Browse the MIDI clips. Hint: Right click 'em to hear 'em play. Right click 'em again to shut 'em up...
7: Drag the clips you want to the track you inserted.

Edit and play away. It really is THAT easy. Oh yeah, go to prefs and choose "Always run FX". I forget which tab but... you gotta do that. Or at least I did.

EZdrummer is the cure for this guitar playing, non-drummin' fool. Plus, the samples sound GREAT!

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
4: EZdrummer will open and load samples into memory.
5: Click "Groove Library" button in EZdrummer.
6: Browse the MIDI clips. Hint: Right click 'em to hear 'em play. Right click 'em again to shut 'em up...
7: Drag the clips you want to the track you inserted.

Edit and play away. It really is THAT easy. Oh yeah, go to prefs and choose "Always run FX". I forget which tab but... you gotta do that. Or at least I did.

EZdrummer is the cure for this guitar playing, non-drummin' fool. Plus, the samples sound GREAT!

D
Thanks!!

...Now, how do I:

1. Route the MIDI outputs to separate tracks?

2. Render these tracks to audio from the MIDI tracks?

Or, do I have to keep the EZD VSTi in the MIDI track all the way through mixdown? Personally, I'd rather render them down to individual audio tracks (one for each piece in the drum kit) so I can mix them with all the other audio tracks at the end the mixing phase, rather than have to mix them as a MIDI track ...if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!

-mr moon
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Diogenes

Unless you take the time to cut/paste each MIDI "Groove" track (the stuff you dropped from the library) onto separate tracks... the MIDI will stay on that one track. However, you can add other stuff to other MIDI tracks and SEND them to the track with EZdrummer VSTi inserted. (Don't forget the EZdrummer mixer. You can tweak there too.)

Look at the manual or toontrack website for using the multiple outputs of EZdrummer. I have not tried it yet. With Reapers fabulous routing ability it should be easy! Once you get routed the way you want, solo and render OR "Apply FX as new take". Your MIDI is now audio.

D
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Diogenes

Makin' any progress mr. moon? I meant to check out the multi-output routing THANG of EZdrummer tonight and post back my findings. My bud called with a new song in his noggin' and I had to go to work on that in BIAB... So... I'll try it tomorrow after work... maybe.

Tell you what... if you figure it out first, SHARE please!

D
Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Serendipity

EZDrummer tutorial: Updated

Disclaimer: This is my way of setting up EZdrummer and it works for me. It's not the only way. No ezdrummers were hurt making this tutorial.

Start Reaper. Create a new track with Ctrl+T or Track=>Add new track in the menu. Name it ezdrummer midi.

Open FX on the track and insert ezdrummer. Open up Preferences for Reaper and go to the VST page. The options Save full VST plug-in state if supported and Save as bank should be enabled. Also make sure that you have the option Always run track FX in the Audio Preferences checked and finally make the GUI visible or ezdrummer might not load the kit.

Create eight more tracks and name them ezd DrumGroup, ezd Kick, ezd SnareTop, ezd SnareBottom, ezd Hats, ezd Toms, ezd Overhead and ezd Room....or name them whatever you like

Make the ezd DumGroup track a Folder track and the ezd Room track the last track in the folder.

Click the I/O button on the ezdrummer midi track to open up the Routing for Track 1 "ezdrummer midi" window.

De-select Master/Parent Send.

Set Track Channels to 14 (since we're using 7 stereo outputs from ezdrummer in this tutorial).

Under Sends enable Track 3: ezd Kick through to Track 9: ezd Room.

For Track 3 set the left Audio dropdown box value to Channel 1/2.

Track 4: Channel 3/4

Track 5: Channel 5/6

and so on until

Track 9: Channel 13/14

Edit: I made a serious mistake and forgot one important step. This is it.

Click on the DrumGroup I/O button and enable recieves from all tracks except the ezd midi track.

Last edited by Serendipity; 01-18-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Serendipity

(continued)

Make sure that each track inside the folder track has got its Master/Parent Send de-selected. The only track to have this selected right now is the ezd DrumGroup folder track!

Open up the FX window containing ezdrummer and click on the Output button above the ezdrummer GUI. Check to see that the outputs from ezdrummer has been routed correctly to the track channels. It should or you can change it to your liking.

Open up the ezdrummer mixer. Right-click on any track in the output row and chose Multichannel from the menu. Close the mixer.

Put some midi on the midi track and play.

This concludes the tutorial.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
mr. moon

Quote:
Makin' any progress mr. moon? I meant to check out the multi-output routing THANG of EZdrummer tonight and post back my findings. My bud called with a new song in his noggin' and I had to go to work on that in BIAB... So... I'll try it tomorrow after work... maybe.

Tell you what... if you figure it out first, SHARE please!

D
Hey, sorry to get back to you so late, but I had to work at "real job" to earn money to fuel my music habit...

Anyho, I haven't had any time to put towards this, and now it appears that "Serendipity" has put together a frikkin' MONSTER tutorial, which I'll start looking at later this evening.

Thanks to you *and* Serendipity!!!

-mr moon
Old 01-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Diogenes

Way too cool Serendipity! Nice tutorial! I had been goobering around with it today and just about figured things out and now... ba-da-bing... you have done dood-it and posted it up.

Thanks a bunch!

D
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Serendipity

You're welcome. I hope you find it helpful.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
Bevoss

Thanks heaps man, I've been putting this off for a while until I had my head around Reaper fully, that was such a good tutorial I had to give it a go. Bam! Too easy, many thanks.

One question...I'm playing groove files at the moment, haven't dragged any midi on the the track yet, but it shouldn't make a difference to my question really:

How can you solo an individual track?

I can do it on the VSTi mixer console, but when I try to solo tracks in Reaper I get nothing, and if I solo the Group Folder track as well I get everything. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, are you able to solo tracks from Reaper? Cheers
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevoss View Post

One question...I'm playing groove files at the moment, haven't dragged any midi on the the track yet, but it shouldn't make a difference to my question really:

How can you solo an individual track?

I can do it on the VSTi mixer console, but when I try to solo tracks in Reaper I get nothing, and if I solo the Group Folder track as well I get everything. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, are you able to solo tracks from Reaper? Cheers
The only way I've been able to make this work is by muting all the tracks that I don't want to hear to single out the one track I want to solo.

Additionally, after some experimentation of my own, I have figured out how to record all the individual tracks concurrently. To do this, all you have to do is set each of the individual tracks (#3-#9) to "record: output (mono, latency compensated)", arming the tracks to record, engage the master record function, and then play the EZ Drummer track, using one of the demo beats, for example.

Thanks again to those who have been posting the tutorials and such, they have been of great assistance!

-mr moon
Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Serendipity

Alt+click on the solo button of the track you want to solo (solo-in-place). Or set this behaviour as default in the preferences Audio=>Solos default to in-place solo (Alt+click does a normal solo).

Check out the Mute and Solo Button Modifiers in the keyboard shortcut list.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
Bevoss

Thanks, I do know that, but it doesn't work in this case. I'm not sure why, but in any case I can mute the other tracks fairly easy. Something to do with being fed by a midi track maybe? I'm not sure.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
wickerman

First off, this is a great tutorial - thanks a bunch for taking the time Serendipity!!!

I can drag a midi pattern into the timeline and it plays back but I don't hear hats or any cymbals, which is kinda weird... I must have something setup wrong? Like Bevoss, I can't solo a track in Reaper but I can't solo it in the vsti either. I must have something wrong. Will have to go back and start again.

I also have an issue since I have the DFH expansion for EZD. There are actually 5 toms used on the exp pack, and the total number of channels would be 11 stereo outs. So I'm assuming I would have to route all the toms to the same channel??? EZD has a max of 16 outs correct?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
Serendipity

First of all, I've tried solo-in-place (Alt+click on solo buttons) with the tutorial setup and it works perfectly on my machine.

The DFH EXD should have all the toms on one channel, precisely as the standard kit has. Open the EZD mixer and check the outputs row. I always use the default settings in the EZD mixer as a guide when setting up the audio outputs in Reaper. EZD has max 16 outputs, yes.

If you can't hear hats or cymbals (i.e. overhead) you must have done something wrong or the plugin hasn't loaded the samples for some strange reason (which I find unlikely).
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #17
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
First of all, I've tried solo-in-place (Alt+click on solo buttons) with the tutorial setup and it works perfectly on my machine.

The DFH EXD should have all the toms on one channel, precisely as the standard kit has. Open the EZD mixer and check the outputs row. I always use the default settings in the EZD mixer as a guide when setting up the audio outputs in Reaper. EZD has max 16 outputs, yes.

If you can't hear hats or cymbals (i.e. overhead) you must have done something wrong or the plugin hasn't loaded the samples for some strange reason (which I find unlikely).

Serendipity,

One thing I noticed is that after I ran through your tutorial, I had to go through and configure the sends for tracks #3 - #9 as demonstrated in the attached screen capture (see below). Until I set up the sends/receives this way on tracks #3-#9, I could not hear anything until I set the "sends" on these tracks to "Folder: EZD Drum Group" ...interestingly, the kick drum (track #3) was the only track to light up the meters or send signal to the "EZDrummer MIDI" track until I made these settings, but no sound was heard.

[img]http://img263.**************/img263/3310/eztrackiozu6.jpg[/img]

????

Now I'm able to solo each track individually by using the Alt+click on solo button combination, and it records flawlessly!

Thanks for all the help!

-mr moon
Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
Serendipity

To all who has read this tutorial:

It seems like I screwed up and forgot one important step in the guide. I'm truly sorry! I have updated the tutorial.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #19
Serendipity

mr. moon basically wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
????
Yes, stupid me. As you've found out I screwed up and forgot to send the audio from the output tracks to the DrumGroup folder. My only defense is that I was in a hurry when writing the tutorial. I shall strive to better myself. Thanks for the heads up.[img]http://*************.net/sad-smiley-17025.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #20
Bevoss

No worries, I already did it...it's actually faster to do that in the routing matrix.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #21
Serendipity

Well, I decided not to use the routing matrix in the tutorial (I even made a screenshot of it which I didn't use). I might add that image later if someone needs it badly. I agree with you though, it's easier (when you know how to properly use it).
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #22
mr. moon

Quote:
Well, I decided not to use the routing matrix in the tutorial (I even made a screenshot of it which I didn't use). I might add that image later if someone needs it badly. I agree with you though, it's easier (when you know how to properly use it).
Could you please post the routing matrix view, I thirst for knowledge!!

I don't want to say that I "need it badly" because it sounds pretty disturbing...

Thanks again for the posts!! ...You may have forgotten to post an important step, but all you really did was prove yourself to be human, no big deal.

-mr moon
Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
Bevoss

Quote:

Thanks again for this tutorial, you saved me a LOT of time working it out myself!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #24
Serendipity

EZDrummer tutorial - Routing Matrix Edition:

Start Reaper. Create a new track with Ctrl+T or Track=>Add new track in the menu. Name it ezdrummer midi.

Open FX on the track and insert ezdrummer. Open up Preferences for Reaper and go to the VST page. The options Save full VST plug-in state if supported and Save as bank should be enabled. Also make sure that you have the option Always run track FX in the Audio Preferences checked and finally make the GUI visible or ezdrummer might not load the kit.

Create eight more tracks and name them ezd DrumGroup, ezd Kick, ezd SnareTop, ezd SnareBottom, ezd Hats, ezd Toms, ezd Overhead and ezd Room....or name them whatever you like.

Make the ezd DumGroup track a Folder track and the ezd Room track the last track in the folder.

Open the Routing Matrix.

All tracks are active in the master/parent send column. The master output routs to the soundcard outputs.

Right-click on the enabled ezdrummer midi track routing in the master/parent send column. Set Track Channels to 14. Close the window. Disable the routing by clicking on it.

Enable the routings from the ezdrummer midi track to all the outputs (ezd Kick, ezd SnareTop.........ezd Room).

Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Serendipity

(continued)

Right-click on each of these enabled routings and set the Audio channels to send, beginning with Channels 1/2 on the ezd Kick output, Channels 3/4 on the ezd SnareTop output and so on until the last output: ezd Room which is set to Channels 13/14.

Finally, disable the ezdrummer output routings in the master/parent send column and enable them in the ezd DrumGroup column.

Put a midifile on the ezdrummer midi track and play.

Hopefully this will work the same as the other tutorial. If I haven't screwed up that is!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #26
wickerman

Hey Serendipity! You rock dude - I had something enabled that I shouldn't and now I'm good to go. Thanks again for this tutorial and all your help and hard work! This site is great and so is Reaper!

Geoff
Old 01-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #27
Bevoss

Nice one! I never used the right-click in there before, opens up a whole new world...the missing link I needed.

You have a real talent for tutorials!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #28
Serendipity

Thanks! I'm happy to help if I can.

Well, gotta go [img]http://*************.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-17403.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2007, 01:07 AM   #29
rickie

Many thanks Serendipity, Jeez, I have a long way to go before I fully understand all this, but this sure helps.
rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #30
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
Hey Serendipity! You rock dude
Geoff
I would have to disagree....

In actuality, you TOTALLY ROCK!!!

Thanks again for the awesome information!

-mr moon
Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #31
One4n5

Quote:

D
What if EZD doesnt appear amongst the VSTi's? I have it working fine in Acid Pro 6.

...Damn! I hate being a newbie!!

Last edited by One4n5; 01-20-2007 at 09:31 AM.
One4n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #32
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One4n5 View Post
What if EZD doesnt appear amongst the VSTi's? I have it working fine in Acid Pro 6.

On my system, it showed up as:

"VSTi: Dfh Sampler(Toontrack)"

There is no mention of "EZ Drummer" at all, so maybe your system's doing the same thing as mine or something similar?

-mr moon
Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #33
wickerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
On my system, it showed up as:

"VSTi: Dfh Sampler(Toontrack)"

There is no mention of "EZ Drummer" at all, so maybe your system's doing the same thing as mine or something similar?

-mr moon
Same here - VSTi: Dfh Sampler (Toontrack). No mention of EZ Drummer anywhere.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #34
One4n5

Well fudge... no DFH... Toontrack... EZD or related.

I guess I'll uninstall Reaper and try again from scratch.

Thanks for the replys, guys
Old 01-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #35
Bevoss

It's not unusual for the fx plugins to have unexpected names in Reaper...I wonder why?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #36
One4n5

Good question Bevoss. Wish I knew.

I know one thing... I'm dying to try out this tutorial!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #37
Serendipity

Quote:

Have you tried Clear cache and rescan directory in the VST preferences?

Do you have one plugin folder or several (root folders that is) and have you correctly entered them in the VST preferences?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #38
Bevoss

Did you try rescanning the vst folder? If that doesn't work, how about put it in a folder by itself, clear the cache and filepath, and rescan the new EZ Drummer folder by itself? Beats reinstalling, well unless you have no choice. It should show up though, no worries here apart from the name.

edit: Serendipity, too quick on the draw for me!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #39
Serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevoss View Post
It's not unusual for the fx plugins to have unexpected names in Reaper...I wonder why?
Well, I have no idea but I guess it acquires the name from some info inside the .dll file.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #40
Serendipity

Quote:
I guess I'll uninstall Reaper and try again from scratch.
Yes, you shouldn't have to uninstall. Give us some info and we'll work it out.