Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 10-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Dokkodo
Human being with feelings

Default Noobie video editing question: Fade to black

Copied from my Reddit post [https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...ading_out_to/]

Hey /r/Reaper !

Why is it that when I automate the opacity on video processor that it dips to green and not black?

I did it once before and it faded out to green screen but then suddenly it worked fading to black, but now it's reverted to green. I know I've done something simple and I messed up a setting. I'm doing my first video editing gig in reaper and it's super amateur but I need a quick solution because my deadline is just around the corner and I couldn't find an answer to this Q anywhere (and I deleted FB so can't ask on RUG).

Thanks all, big REAPERDAW loves to everybody.
Dokkodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
Dokkodo

Bump for righteousness. No answer in sight. Follow reddit post for further details.
Dokkodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
colapirat

Not sure about your problem concerning the opacity but wouldn't fade to black work for your if you use the video processor preset "item fades affect video" and just put a fade out / volume automation on the video item?
colapirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
FrankDee

Hi,

Have you seen Reaper Blog Video Transitions?
Old 02-04-2024, 04:32 AM   #5
camschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokkodo View Post

Why is it that when I automate the opacity on video processor that it dips to green and not black?
More than 5 years later and I was having this problem. Apologies for the revived thread but this was happening to me, and I figured out the cause and a solution:

The top track had an .mp4 video that I wanted to fade to black but it kept dipping to green instead of black. (This was happening with two video processors presets: "Track opacity/zoom/pan" and "Item fades affect video"). The cause was in a track below that had an .m4a file containing an embedded thumbnail image (though Reaper was not displaying the image). The solution was to go to the item properties of the .m4a file and change its Source Properties > Video > Disable Video. After I did that the fade to black on the first track worked properly. No more dip to green.

I hope this helps!
camschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:18 PM   #6
papagirafe

Some preset do not like emptyness and display a pure green instead. The simplest trick is to put a pure black image at the bottom most track, even a 2x2 pixels, and put a "resize to project dimensions" on it. Alternatively you can use this preset:
Code:
//generate pure black
!project_wh_valid?(project_w=1920;project_h=1080);
gfx_set(0);
gfx_img_resize(-1,project_w,project_h,1);
Another trick is to do the reverse: fade-in a pure black track on the topmost track.

BTW this is one of the first thing I fixed with my GiraFX video lib.
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote