Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default #^@& it, we'll do it live!!

In the last year or so, I've been using the grid & metronome less. I simply can't get the rhythmic feel I want by restricting myself to a perfectly-divided grid. The rhythm sounds like a robot and I hate it. I wanted a solution which is relatively fast and maintains a natural feel to the rhythm section.

So what I've been doing for quite some time is this:

1.) Ensure grid & metronome are both disabled.

2.) Play in a percussive rhythm live. I use MIDI but the same idea applies to live microphone inputs & audio Media Items.

3.) Decide what part of the Media Item to keep, and where it should end.

4.) Split the Media Item end precisely where the downbeat should continue. (Example: If you plan on making a 4-bar loop, play in 5 loops live and split the Media Item exactly where the 5th loop iteration downbeat starts.)

5.) Glue the newly cropped Media Item to a new take.

6.) Extend the new Media Item loop to the desired length. (Ensure the Media Item is loop-enabled by right-clicking the Media Item, Item Properties > "[] Loop source" checkbox.)

7.) Add bass guitar, etc.

Does anyone do something similar to this? No grid, no metronome, live input & looped audio or MIDI Media Items?