Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody using a Ryzen?

I'm thinking about building a new DAW and considering going with an AMD processor for the first time since building a machine based on an AMD 5x86 back in 1998.

Thirty or so Intel based machines since then (I built all my own home machines plus all the networked machines at the office I where worked) and I'm thinking about doing an AMD again, but not because someone gave me a CPU they thought was bad this time. I'm just getting sick of seeing new "speculative execution" vulnerabilities being discovered for Intel CPUs that are not present on AMD silicon.

I hear the 3rd generation Ryzens are coming out next month and I've been sort of toying with the idea of building myself a new DAW based on an 8 core Ryzen 7 3700X. So is anybody here running a Ryzen based DAW in Linux, and if so are there any big positive or negative things to be aware of?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
JamesPeters

For me it was around 1997 that I had an AMD 5x86, and it was my last AMD CPU...until probably again soon, for the same reasons you're mentioning. I'll be watching this thread.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
For me it was around 1997 that I had an AMD 5x86, and it was my last AMD CPU...until probably again soon, for the same reasons you're mentioning. I'll be watching this thread.
AMD has more clout than they had back in the old days. Their x86-64 architecture has become the de-facto standard where Intel's IA-64 architecture got officially dropped in 2010 by Microsoft and after that it was all over for the "Itanium" pipe dream.

Intel wasted a lot of time and money on that processor trying to break the x86 mold, and that's when AMD caught up with them.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
s wave

For what its worth: I am running Amd athlon 4 core on my MIDI pc w/Reaper (no problems) (I have tested and ran Reaper on ddr1 and ddr2 And my main driver is Amd 8 core 8320e (no problems) DDR3 I kind of fell in love with both these set ups because I can swap Linux and windows hard drives without missing a beat (the bios and configuration does not change. I am sure the Ryzens are monsters! And thats where my upgrade will go - I am fan of microcenter I know their 2700 with mobo bundle is like $219: https://www.microcenter.com/product/...erboard-bundle - their other bundles here: https://www.microcenter.com/site/pro...d_bundles.aspx amd they are also known for their pre-sale bundles of new editions at rock bottom prices. (they have great return policies - I was never turned down for any request)
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
monty

I'm using an AMD FX-8350 (8core) processor w/ KDE Neon 5.16 (lowlatency) after KDE optimization it works very stable and fast, so there should be no problems with a Ryzen CPU.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #6
Mcgiver69

If I'm not mistaken Ryzen are the preferred cpu for those who make hackintosh computers?
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
...I know their 2700 with mobo bundle is like $219:
Thanks for the link. I'm probably going to get this. I have a friend in NJ who can pick it up and send it to me (I'm in Canada and we don't quite have deals like that here).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm probably going to get this. I have a friend in NJ who can pick it up and send it to me (I'm in Canada and we don't quite have deals like that here).
I have never bought of Amazon yet; Micro Center is so cheap/good. There is one in Denver I go to once in a blue moon. But they run stupid deals like $1 PIs. I built this pc a while back with 8 core AMD for like $60 and returned Asus board - AND they honored the combo deal?!!. Mobo was like $16 and CPU was on sale. The other board I got a returner Gamer mobo for $13... I can read the monthly flyer like a magazine - they are so cool gl. I have never had a problem with them if I wanted to return or upgrade or down swap.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote